Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Apr 6, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #2,791 of 4,838
MIIIILES ahead of the 6DE7s I had in there. It's like a whole different amplifier.  Maybe there is no appreciable difference in 6FD7s but I'm liking the Pro/Comm 6FD7s a lot that I got from http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6F-Types/6FD7 vs. the military big bottles that I also got from them (last pair I think).  They should have quite a few of the Pro/Comms in stock -- only $5.95 each.  I feel like they are possibly a tad smoother and more authoritative.  It could be imagination.  I might have to pick up some more for backups. Wow.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,792 of 4,838
  MIIIILES ahead of the 6DE7s I had in there. It's like a whole different amplifier.  Maybe there is no appreciable difference in 6FD7s but I'm liking the Pro/Comm 6FD7s a lot that I got from http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6F-Types/6FD7 vs. the military big bottles that I also got from them (last pair I think).  They should have quite a few of the Pro/Comms in stock -- only $5.95 each.  I feel like they are possibly a tad smoother and more authoritative.  It could be imagination.  I might have to pick up some more for backups. Wow.

Thats an excellent price!

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #2,793 of 4,838
  My WA6 has 10DE7 written on it. So..where does it fit in this transition from 6DE7 to 13DE7 ? 

Is it same as 6DE7 unit?

From the doc on the product page about tubes :
http://www.wooaudio.com/docs/tube_data/6DE7.pdf

=> No Compatibility .........
6DE7 : Heater Volatage : 6,3v ; Heater current 800 mA
10DE7 : Heater Volatage : 9,7v ; Heater current 600 mA
1D3E7 : Heater Volatage : 13v ; Heater current 450  mA

You surely can modify the amp himself with somes resistences ... but well ....

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,794 of 4,838

From the doc on the product page about tubes :
http://www.wooaudio.com/docs/tube_data/6DE7.pdf

=> No Compatibility .........
6DE7 : Heater Volatage : 6,3v ; Heater current 800 mA
10DE7 : Heater Volatage : 9,7v ; Heater current 600 mA
1D3E7 : Heater Volatage : 13v ; Heater current 450  mA

You surely can modify the amp himself with somes resistences ... but well ....

Not directed at you.  But how does heater voltage and current matter. For example, is 10DE7 better than 6DE7 ?

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #2,795 of 4,838
Well i dont know ....

- Woo says "identical sound signature"
- The datasheet of the 3 tubes present the same thing in page 2 ... so perhaps ...

But what I'm sure : you can't use 6DE7 in place of 10DE7

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #2,796 of 4,838
Quick impression of 6EW7s.  These are NOS GE big bottles.  Very similar to 6FD7 in character.  Lots less gain.  Gain might be similar to 6DE7s.  Really great though.  I like.  I think these best the 6CY7s.  They might be better than 6FD7s but will have to go back and forth.  Crazy good midrange.  No sibilance.  Great PRAT.  More balanced than 6FD7s.  More natural soundstage.  No issues here. Bass is more extended. These are probably better than 6FD7 but I really like the latter for their ballsiness.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #2,797 of 4,838

You reminded me that I haven't had the ProComms (6fd7) in for a while. Cleaned the pins & put in a pair. With Brimar 5z4g it's terrific. I won't go back & forth trying to figure out if they're "better" than the RCA or GE fat bottles, just enjoy this setup for a while.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #2,798 of 4,838
Looking for suggestion on WA6 tube upgrade

I think driver tube makes more difference to sound than the rectifier. Correct me if I am wrong.

So I would like upgrade from stock driver tubes(RCA 6DR7) with something that goes well with the stock rectifier 274B shown below.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #2,799 of 4,838

I think driver tube makes more difference to sound than the rectifier. Correct me if I am wrong.

So I would like upgrade from stock driver tubes(RCA 6DR7) with something that goes well with the stock rectifier 274B shown below.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My Experience was that the rectifier made a difference.  If cost is an issue you can get the Brimar Rectifier.  Langrex sells them and they aren't a lot of money. I went with the Brimar 5Z4G and they gave a great bass and midrange. The Sophia Princess is more money and slightly better.  Plus the Princess looks very cool when lit up. For the driver, get the 6F8G adapter they are the structural equivalent of the 6SN7 but are less expensive and look great when connected.  I've got Sylvania and RCA's both sound good.But a nod to the Sylvania here.  I think that I paid $50 for the pair on a well know auction site.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #2,800 of 4,838

I agree 100% that the power/driver tubes manipulate the sound more than the rectifier.
As mentioned, the Brimar 5Z4G is an excellent tube for its price performance ratio. The 6F8G is an excellent power/driver tube but needs an adapter. Try to get some 6FD7 tubes, their excellent as well and don't require an adapter. Not too far back their is a post on where to get the 6FD7 at a great price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back