Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
May 6, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #2,821 of 4,837
Just threw in my Phillips Miniwatt GZ34 and RCA 6FD7's and listening to my Grado GH2. Going to take some time for the GZ34 to burn-in and I have other amps/headphones I share my listening time with as well, so I'll need some time.

May 23, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #2,824 of 4,837
MIIIILES ahead of the 6DE7s I had in there. It's like a whole different amplifier. Maybe there is no appreciable difference in 6FD7s but I'm liking the Pro/Comm 6FD7s a lot that I got from http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6F-Types/6FD7 vs. the military big bottles that I also got from them (last pair I think). They should have quite a few of the Pro/Comms in stock -- only $5.95 each. I feel like they are possibly a tad smoother and more authoritative. It could be imagination. I might have to pick up some more for backups. Wow.

I 1000% agree, I just bought a maxed out wa6, and these pro/comm 6fd7 tubes rock, just gotta some 6sn7 adapters, going to try a few that my grandpa gave me!

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #2,829 of 4,837
Jul 22, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,832 of 4,837
Just picked up all these to test with the WA6! Super excited to start rolling.

DuMont 6FD7 fat bottle/black plate (Extremely matched) I'm pretty excited about this find.
DuMont 6DE7 Black plates

Sylvania 6FD7 fat bottle/black plates
Sylvania 6EW7 (Same code)

Zenith 6EW7 fat bottle, These look awesome
Zenith 6CY7 black plates

Next step 6SN7 and 6F8G's now that i have every non-adapter tube. (Already have the stock RCA 6DR7's)

WF9HfrA.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #2,833 of 4,837
Just picked up all these to test with the WA6! Super excited to start rolling.

DuMont 6FD7 fat bottle/black plate (Extremely matched) I'm pretty excited about this find.
DuMont 6DE7 Black plates

Sylvania 6FD7 fat bottle/black plates
Sylvania 6EW7 (Same code)

Zenith 6EW7 fat bottle/black plates, These look awesome
Zenith 6CY7 black plates

Next step 6SN7 and 6F8G's now that i have every non-adapter tube. (Already have the stock RCA 6DR7's)

WF9HfrA.jpg

Wow, what a great collection! Please post your impressions of the different tubes.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #2,834 of 4,837
Anyone have experience with both the Woo WA6 and the Feliks Audio Elise? I'm looking closely at both of these amps to go with my HE1000 v2. Form factor and price-wise they appear to be natural competitors. This won't be my primary amp but rather a tube alternative to my solid state when I wanna mix things up.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,835 of 4,837
Anyone have experience with both the Woo WA6 and the Feliks Audio Elise? I'm looking closely at both of these amps to go with my HE1000 v2. Form factor and price-wise they appear to be natural competitors. This won't be my primary amp but rather a tube alternative to my solid state when I wanna mix things up.

I was in a similar boat as yourself. I have a V281 for SS listening and I had the WA6. The WA6 was a lot of fun but when you go back and forth to a highly resolving SS amp you may not be overly pleased. The WA6 is a lot of fun but you're not going to get the resolution that comes from a SS amp like the V281. I liked Woo Audio enough to buy a WA5-LE.. It's now my primary driver for my headphones. I would really try an audition to make sure you're onboard with either. Failing that, a used purchase will allow you to move on if they don't work for you, with little risk. There's a strong resale market for those tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back