Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Apr 28, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #2,809 of 4,838
I am pretty new here, just bought myself a used maxed out Wa6 with a Mullard GZ32/CV593 rectifier. and it came with a bunch of driver tubes, so far I really like the RCA 6FD7 and the RCA Fat Bottle 6GL7. I really want to try one of the 274B rectifier tubes, do y'all think they would be a decent upgrade from the current Mullard I am running? Any other advice on tubes and such are welcome!

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #2,810 of 4,838
I am pretty new here, just bought myself a used maxed out Wa6 with a Mullard GZ32/CV593 rectifier. and it came with a bunch of driver tubes, so far I really like the RCA 6FD7 and the RCA Fat Bottle 6GL7. I really want to try one of the 274B rectifier tubes, do y'all think they would be a decent upgrade from the current Mullard I am running? Any other advice on tubes and such are welcome!
Try the Brimar 5Z4G from Langrex Tubes. I had the Mullard GZ34 and enjoyed it very much.

May 5, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,812 of 4,838
@joseph69 : which version of GZ34 ? (I can have a philips miniwatt black base small bottle).

And well, can you give your prefered tubes combo please ?

Thx !
I was talking about the Mullard GZ34 which I used to own. I do own a Phillips Miniwatt GZ34 (below) but the only thing is I can't comment on it because I haven't let it burn-in, it's barley used. I like all of my tube combos for different reasons. I find you can't go wrong with the Brimar 5Z4GY and the RCA/Westinghouse Big Bottle 6FD7's due to their cost and no need for adapters.
P1020436.JPG

May 5, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #2,813 of 4,838
Thank. Exactly the same GZ34. Well if you have time to burn-in, i'm interested by your opinion :)

Well for know I have buy the brimar 5Z4GY and small bottle RCA6DE7. Good combo, but well if I can find something more mellow/smooth in the high I take ! :wink:

May 5, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2,814 of 4,838
Thank. Exactly the same GZ34. Well if you have time to burn-in, i'm interested by your opinion :)

Well for know I have buy the brimar 5Z4GY and small bottle RCA6DE7. Good combo, but well if I can find something more mellow/smooth in the high I take ! :wink:

Just want to reiterate Joseph's recommendation. Find some fat bottle 6FD7s and pair them with the Brimar. If you hunt around, you should be able to find a matched pair for under $40.

May 5, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #2,816 of 4,838
Ok thank you !
Well I've got some fat bottle (get them with the wa6se, one grey plate and one black plate), and I prefere RCA 6DE7 :wink:
I will also try some Tung Sol 6DE7.

For you what is the best brand 6FD7 ?

By the way I will do a try with a pair of 6EW7 Sylvania wich are, from some "expert", the best 6EW7.

Regards,

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #2,818 of 4,838
Ok thank you !
Well I've got some fat bottle (get them with the wa6se, one grey plate and one black plate), and I prefere RCA 6DE7 :wink:
I will also try some Tung Sol 6DE7.

For you what is the best brand 6FD7 ?

By the way I will do a try with a pair of 6EW7 Sylvania wich are, from some "expert", the best 6EW7.

Regards,

I can't say the are the "best" brand, but I slightly preferred RCA over Sylvania. That said, the difference was small and I'm not sure I could tell them apart in a blind test. I thought both brands were better than any of the other tube options I've tried on the 6SE (my opinion only, not making a blanket statement),

Woo has matched pairs if you don't mind spending a little more. I've seen them pop up on Ebay, Tubeworld, and The Tubestore, though matched pairs seem to be getting harder to find and more expensive. Still, in the context of some of the other tube options, they remain relatively affordable. Tubestore has them showing in stock for a very reasonable price, though you will have to inquire if they have any matched pairs available.

May 5, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2,819 of 4,838
Thank you :)
Yes ... lots of people tell they are "cheap" tubes ... and well when I'm look at the price of 6SN7 ...

I will test Tung Sol vs RCA 6DE7 vs Sylvania 6EW7 (all pairs) :) Get ready for a hell fight !

By the way from now I prefer 6DE7 over 6FD7 :)

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #2,820 of 4,838
Thank you :)
Yes ... lots of people tell they are "cheap" tubes ... and well when I'm look at the price of 6SN7 ...

I will test Tung Sol vs RCA 6DE7 vs Sylvania 6EW7 (all pairs) :) Get ready for a hell fight !

By the way from now I prefer 6DE7 over 6FD7 :)

Have fun listening and stick with what you prefer. I'll be interested in what you think if you find a pair of fat bottle 6fd7s to compare with your favorite 6ew7s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back