Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Mar 28, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #2,780 of 4,839
Hello,

I've read tha wa6SE is good for HE-500 ... but what about HE-500 with the simple WA6 ? is ok ?

And wa6 is it good too with low impédance headphone like shure srh1540 or th-x00 ? No bloated bass ?

The wa6se is a bit out of my budget ... I can affored a second hand wa6 perhaps.

Cu

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #2,781 of 4,839
Starting to do a little rolling again after several years with WA6.  I just went back to the Sovtek 5U4G from the Sophia Princess and I think for the D7000 the former is preferable with my setup, Burson DA-160.  Not saying the Sovtek is a better tube but it is less "glassy" sounding to me, less sibilant, and the soundstage is definitely less holographic but in a way that makes the D7000s cohere better.  When I got the Burson it really changed things and made the HD650s much better but set the D7000s back quite a bit, at least to me.  Hard to say exactly what went on there.  Had been using a Headamp Pico as DAC.

Postman just dropped me off a set of NOS GE 6CY7s.  Now we're talking.  The D7000s are much better to me.  I hope they don't change as they burn in.  Notice a bit of gain over the RCA 6DE7s that were in there but also improved midrange and mid-bass.  The brightness or harshness in the D7000s is not there like it was.  Less fatiguing and more head-nodding.  Better PRAT.  Less scooped sounding.  I think I'm taking the Denon's off the selling list.  Quite good.  The Brimar rectifier should be here Monday or Tuesday along with some other NOS direct power tube substitutes.  Will be sure to post my thoughts on those as developments develop.

Apr 3, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #2,782 of 4,839
Just got two pairs of 6FD7s in, one set being American military fat bottles and the other Pro/Comm skinnies. I've tried both sets with the Sovtek and the Sophia Princess.  Wow, lots of bass.  Bloomy waves of bass.  A little more gain than the 6CY7s.  Not sure how to describe the differences but I would say very tubey sounding, saturated.  I personally like it very much but I could see people saying it is too much, with 6CY7s being more balanced and faster.  Even with the gain I don't hear any bit of noise from the WA6 with either the Denon 7000s or the Senn 650s.  I'll be sticking with this combo for a while.  Still waiting on the Brimar.  Volume knob is now staying close to 9 o'clock (or less) when it had been more like 12 o'clock with the 6DE7s.

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #2,783 of 4,839
  Just got two pairs of 6FD7s in, one set being American military fat bottles and the other Pro/Comm skinnies. I've tried both sets with the Sovtek and the Sophia Princess.  Wow, lots of bass.  Bloomy waves of bass.  A little more gain than the 6CY7s.  Not sure how to describe the differences but I would say very tubey sounding, saturated.  I personally like it very much but I could see people saying it is too much, with 6CY7s being more balanced and faster.  Even with the gain I don't hear any bit of noise from the WA6 with either the Denon 7000s or the Senn 650s.  I'll be sticking with this combo for a while.  Still waiting on the Brimar.  Volume knob is now staying close to 9 o'clock (or less) when it had been more like 12 o'clock with the 6DE7s.

I like the 6FD7 "Big Bottle" too!

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #2,784 of 4,839
FYI. WA6 and WA6-SE have been updated to "2nd gen". The only change is the driver/power tube from 6DE7 to 13DE7 for stock tubes. New 2nd gen has the same performance as original model. See pic below.

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa6.html

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa6se.html

Please note: the new 13 volt tubes are NOT compatible with 6 volt amps and vice versa. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #2,786 of 4,839
Can you explain, please, why to change ?

Well and by the way the entire information of this thread about tube rolling is outdate :frowning2:  .... perhaps better to start a new thread about gen2 ?

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #2,787 of 4,839
Quick impression of the Brimar from the Sophia.  Punchier.  Soundstage seems wide at cost of depth.  Fun.  Brimar with 6FD7 may be is maybe an extreme combo in terms of warmth?  This is what I was trying to find though.  You don't know what is enough until you know what is too much, to misquote old Bill Blake.  Will have to start trying different permutations to see what works.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #2,789 of 4,839
Well, the $8 or $12 I spent on 6FD7s is the best money I've ever spent on anything -- including audio.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #2,790 of 4,839
  Quick impression of the Brimar from the Sophia.  Punchier.  Soundstage seems wide at cost of depth.  Fun.  Brimar with 6FD7 may be is maybe an extreme combo in terms of warmth?  This is what I was trying to find though.  You don't know what is enough until you know what is too much, to misquote old Bill Blake.  Will have to start trying different permutations to see what works.

I find the Brimar 5Z4G and the my RCA/Westinghouse 6FD7 Big Bottles to be an excellent combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back