Woo Audio WA-8
Mar 10, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #602 of 838

I just tried it tonight.  It definitely DOES NOT work for me.  I get the same problem that you do--it pulls power from WA8 to the Omnicharge, instead of vice versa.  Quite the bummer, considering I got the Omnicharge solely to power the WA8.  Looks like I gotta bring the huge power brick with me, as well as the Omnicharge, as well as the WA8 in order to enjoy it on a cross-country flight.  

EDIT:got it to work! Needed to fiddle with the menus a bit and now it works. It will show an "AV" icon when it starts to work.

What he said. I had a lengthy conversation with OmniCharge support with this too. It seems when the WA8 battery is flat it initially draws more than than 3.5A which is above the OmniCharge's DC output function and that tricks the OmniCharge into thinking that you're charging the OmiCharge instead.

If  you plug the WA8 before it goes flat, then the OmniCharge will work as you desire - to charge/top up the WA8 battery.

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #603 of 838
Anyone have the leather case for this guy? Is it worth the money?
I'm thinking of getting it simply because it's probably a bit smaller than the pelican case
and it might be more convenient when I throw it in my backpack to take to my office in the morning and back home after work.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #604 of 838

I just tried it tonight.  It definitely DOES NOT work for me.  I get the same problem that you do--it pulls power from WA8 to the Omnicharge, instead of vice versa.  Quite the bummer, considering I got the Omnicharge solely to power the WA8.  Looks like I gotta bring the huge power brick with me, as well as the Omnicharge, as well as the WA8 in order to enjoy it on a cross-country flight.  

EDIT:got it to work! Needed to fiddle with the menus a bit and now it works. It will show an "AV" icon when it starts to work.

What he said. I had a lengthy conversation with OmniCharge support with this too. It seems when the WA8 battery is flat it initially draws more than than 3.5A which is above the OmniCharge's DC output function and that tricks the OmniCharge into thinking that you're charging the OmiCharge instead.

If  you plug the WA8 before it goes flat, then the OmniCharge will work as you desire - to charge/top up the WA8 battery.

Here is another wrinkle...I have the Omnicharge20 connected to the WA8, I managed to get it to continue to output (12.6V) by connecting with 3 led's lit on the WA8.  As I sit here and watch the led's go out on the WA8, the omni shows 12.6v with AV icon and only 0.90Watts.  This can't be correct, less than a watt?  The WA8 appears to continue to discharge with no effect from the omni battery output.  What is going on here?  Is Omnicharge monitoring this thread?

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #605 of 838
I suspect the Omni charge will really work reliably for the WA8 when the WA8 is turned off, maybe not so much when the WA8 is on and needing extra power and having too depleted of a battery. I hope to have some time to experiment with mine this weekend.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #606 of 838
I suspect the Omni charge will really work reliably for the WA8 when the WA8 is turned off, maybe not so much when the WA8 is on and needing extra power and having too depleted of a battery. I hope to have some time to experiment with mine this weekend.

Good point, I just turned the WA8 off and am monitoring the omni.  No change in voltage direction, still showing AV icon and 12.6V out but no change in wattage use, still 0.9 watts.  This can't be correct, 71mA draw???

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #607 of 838
TRY THIS with your tube amp! Just relaxing with my WA8 & Ether Flow, nothing better than ocean waves as ambient background.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #610 of 838
First impressions:

TL;DR: It has been said that this diminutive unit offers desktop quality sound in a not-desktop quality footprint. I definitely will echo that idea! The WA8 offers a very non-fatiguing sound that still digs out plenty of detail with a range of headphones! From my 64 Audio U8 to my collection of Grados to my ZMF Oris, the WA8 has handled all easily.

Long version, from the bottom up:

Bass: Tight with an appropriate amount of slam. I've only used the unit with the onboard DAC, so I'm not positive whether the amp circuit or DAC implementation is the cause, but in almost every Sabre-based DAC I've heard, the low end sounds a little anemic to me. Not the case here. One of my favorite things about the Woo sound is it's rich, thick, yet non-syrupy low end. Somehow the guys in NY managed to keep that in a design that uses the Sabre. Love the clean and rich thump of kick drums through both the PS and Ori. Victor Wooten sounds great, with a ton of texture, and low synth waves in my James Blake come through bold and beautiful.

Mids: Rich! The reason I can't get out of the tube game is because of that rich midrange sound. Well, Woo has done it again. Vocals aren't quite as forward as my older WA6 or something like a MAD Ear, but they are still wonderfully placed. Adele sounds great, as well as the guitar and sax solos in my Snarky Puppy. Lots to enjoy here, especially with  cans that are known for quality midrange presentation.

Treble: Clean! This was the only thing I was a little worried about. I've never been able to keep any Sabre-based DAC because I always found the upper end fatiguing over time. So glad to report that so far, I've not got that hair-raising feeling I usually get when cymbals get busy or violins soar into the stratosphere. SO glad that details are not being shoved down my throat (looking at you Schiit...).

Soundstage/Separation/Whatever you want to call it: Not the most impressive, but no slouch either. On par with most all-tube designs I've heard. I'm still getting the holographic sound Woo does so well, but I wouldn't say that I've experienced any soundstage-related revelations. That's all I have to say about that.

Other stuff:
  • Operation is really straightforward.
  • There's plenty of power for my planars.
  • 3-tube >>> 2-tube. 
  • Dead silent background.
  • Setup - piece of cake.
  • Volume knob - never used another I like as much as the Woo's!

Might chime in later as things continue to develop and my brain becomes more and more acclimated, but for now those are my thoughts and I'm sticking with them!

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #611 of 838

We look forward to your findings after 150–200 hrs. of initial break-in. Be sure to post some pics. 
beerchug.gif

Overtime, have owners established a consensus on this 150-200 hour break-in period? 

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #613 of 838
  Just wondering, is the DAC on the WA8 USB bus-powered? 

No it is not. The DAC does not work independently. WA8 operates as a HP amp & DAC powered by the internal battery.

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #615 of 838
So what headphones are you WA8 owners running these days? The PS1k and ZMF Ori both pair wonderfully without any sense of being underpowered.

Both the Z1R and the Eikons sound amazing through the WA8. And the Utopia is also awesome through them. I like the HD800 less out of the WA8 than the WA22--it's a little lean on the WA8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back