Why the Beats Hate?
Apr 20, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #1,756 of 2,037
Basshead day....Denon D600s ($150)...Beats done right! :basshead:

stirrin' the pot

I found the treble on the D600 too spiky for my taste. Bass does go low, but lacking upper bass slam I thought. Rather ugly, but very comfortable. Great price, I paid 350 kiwi pesos from memory.

Monster DNA on ear is a great little basshead can for when you want some real punch.

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #1,757 of 2,037
Apr 20, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #1,758 of 2,037
I found the treble on the D600 too spiky for my taste. Bass does go low, but lacking upper bass slam I thought. Rather ugly, but very comfortable. Great price, I paid 350 kiwi pesos from memory.

Monster DNA on ear is a great little basshead can for when you want some real punch.

Yeah...the community is very split on these cans. Some hear them the way you do; others definitely do not.

Almost wonder if they made a production change? What I hear is a far less spiky treble compared to my DT770's and a slightly more integrated signature than my M100s...very much like the HeadRoom graph below.

Also, the bass is tight on my pair...weird. Don't have a set of cans I'd rather listen to bass oriented music on than these. Got them for $150 new from BestBuy to boot! TBH, they're in the top 5 of my price/performers.

EDIT: African Times Suite - Dave Brubeck Quartet just played in my bass oriented list...

Not exactly Hip Hop, I know, but the Acoustic Bass solo by Eugene Wright (bowing and plucking) at the beginning is really good. The D600s sound great...even when Brubeck takes over.
Segued right into Out of My Head - Black Eyed Peas...no lack of slam here. Guess I got lucky with my pair! :L3000:

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #1,760 of 2,037
Retuning from a little break but great to back in Beatsland

A question for all the Beats wireless worshippers out there. Don't you secretly wish you had a pair of headphones as cool looking in an understated way, as light and comfortable, cheap and really great sounding as these:

imgres

SBH60-Stereo-Bluetooth-Headset-black-1240x840-b62ae267ec7d41fc6bb00bd049792c45.jpg

Courtesy of the great Sony corporation

Battery life is admittedly only around 12 house but OK as I do like to sleep occasionally

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #1,761 of 2,037
Sorry for lack of picture. Can't work out how to do it on this mobile phone thingy but I talk of the SBH60 obviously. A quite surprisingly great little headphone with a warm slightly bassy but balanced sound that Beatsie Boys might actually like if they opened their minds.

EDIT added the (sexy) photo

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #1,762 of 2,037
We will get the last laugh. We got Benitez and they got Moyes. We will see them as we go past them as they go down and we go up.
A bit late but you were spot on sir.

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,763 of 2,037
Solo 3 due soon

Apparently as good as a HD800 but without those pesky wires

Join in me in congratulations to all those fastidious Beats engineers; you've finally cracked it. You are gods.

Hail Dr Dre and from the bottom of my heart I and millions like me thank you for starting this magnificent journey to musical nirvana

Time to finally close down this thread. Nothing left to hate only total love and devotion to the cult of the Beats.

I'd go as far as saying that Headfi it'self is now obsolete. The holy grail of headphones has arrived in a truly beautiful form. I have longed fotlr this day.

God bless em and a very good night to you all. Tomorrow is the start of a wonderfully new Dawn for all lovers of fine audio and music in general

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #1,765 of 2,037
POST # 426 in Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone

Originally Posted by Boffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"You would be very surprised by how many people actually own Orpheus. I saw someone that owned 3 Orpheuses trying to sell all 3 of them in the Trade/Sale section couple months ago. Two friends that I know in real life own them, and one of them is active at Golden Ears. Despite its limited quantity, Orpheus is actually not rare at all if you know where to look, or simply look closely. I saw one for sale on Ebay last week too.

However, I agree with you. Well, kind of. Almost all vintage or rare collectors headphones are overrated in Head-Fi. Orpheus is not an exception. My mother is a huge Sony fan, so naturally she owned Qualia 005, Qualia 007, Qualia 010, Qualia 017, and Sony R10 Bass Light Version. My mother bought the Qualia 010 for 3,000,000 KRW, which is about 2,800 USD. Sound? Garbage. Slightly better than most $200 headphones today. I actually think the Sony SA5000 (mass production version of Qualia 010) sounds better. I prefer the new Beats Solo 2 over Sony Qualia 010, and spending $2,800 on Beats Solo 2 makes more sense to me than spending $2,800 on Sony Qualia 010. Sony R10 actually sounds amazing. But is it worth +$5,000 price tag? Absolutely not. HD800 and LCD 3 are both in the same league at more than a third of the price of R10.

Now let's go back to Orpheus. Like I said, two friends of mine own it and I have tried it. How does it sound? It's in the same league as HD800, LCD 3, and R10. In fact, I personally think HD800 does many things better than Orpheus, so one can make a solid case stating that HD800 is superior than Orpheus. How much does Orpheus cost nowadays? I live in South Korea at the moment, and the prices here are anywhere between 40,000,000-60,000,000 KRW, which is roughly 38,000-58,000 USD. We can conclude one of two things from my experience with Orpheus and their price. 1: Orpheus is an outright scam, and it is no different than Lil Wayne's 1 million dollar Beats by Dr. Dre headphones. 2: It is not a headphone, but a luxury. Audiophiles enjoy high fidelity sound, so they invest money on good headphones. Sennheiser Orpheus, in my opinion, is not a headphone that was created for audiophiles, nor meant to be used by audiophiles. It was created for those who are so rich, to the point where they worry about whether they will be able to spend all their money before they die. It's a luxury.

My point? It is stupid to compare HE-1000 to Sennheiser Orpheus, because 1: Sennheiser Orpheus doesn't even sound that great to begin with, 2: HE-1000 is almost certainly going to be a better purchase regarding price/performance wise, and finally 3: Most owners of Sennheiser Orpheus from what I know are not audiophiles. The other friend of mine that owns the Orpheus owns it, because he had way too much money in his pocket, and had to get rid of some of them. He much prefers his Bose QC25, for he enjoys its noise cancelling feature that is very handy when he boards his Dad's Asiana Airlines' airplanes. "

Funny the posts you run into. This was a very interesting one.
beyersmile.png
As for the classical bit, $79 for a dt660 :p . Can get a beats BEATS and those and covered

wait....so youre saying that those headphones were slightly on par with some $200 headphones? What are you talking about? You can find several pairs of cans that are excellent for around $200. Dont tie some crappy headphones to cans that are priced at the $200 pricepoint...this argument is not one in the same, just because inferior headphones, like Beats, are priced similarly.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #1,766 of 2,037
Solo 3 due soon

Join in me in congratulations to all those fastidious Beats engineers; you've finally cracked it. You are gods.

Hail Dr Dre and from the bottom of my heart I and millions like me thank you for starting this magnificent journey to musical nirvana

Time to finally close down this thread. Nothing left to hate only total love and devotion to the cult of the Beats.

I'd go as far as saying that Headfi it'self is now obsolete. The holy grail of headphones has arrived in a truly beautiful form. I have longed fotlr this day.

God bless em and a very good night to you all. Tomorrow is the start of a wonderfully new Dawn for all lovers of fine audio and music in general

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here comes the hype train. On the other hand, Creative is releasing their CAL! 3 which is the hybrid of LCD-4 and Abyss and only cost $75, and also without those pesky wires.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,767 of 2,037
Years ago I had a friend that showed up somewhere wearing Beats by Dre Solos. The first one. I had recently gotten my M50s and hated Beats a lot at the time. Plus my friend was really poor and kinda ghetto so I was mad at him for perpetuating a stereotype. :joy:

I walked up to him and said something along the lines of "Seriously man? You know those are terribly overpriced, right?!"

He said, "Yea, I know. I won them for $1 at a claw vending machine."

That shut me up pretty good. People get these second hand a lot times now so I've just learned not to judge people too much.

Long story short I congratulated him for his excellent buy and apologized for almost getting upset. (And also the skill it takes to get something that big from a claw vending machine, am I right?)

I told this story to some classmates the next day. One of them was still mad and said it was a terrible deal. Beats hate runs deep. But the other classmate of mine was more realistic and said that if that was all they cost people would be extolling them for how high their quality to price ratio was.

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #1,768 of 2,037
Compare and contrast what Applebeats are doing (same old..) with the kind of products the original great tech giant Sony is quietly turning out

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-1000x

No doubt Beatsapple will produce something similar but inferior in a couple of years and they shall be praised through out the wold for their startling innovation

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #1,769 of 2,037
Solo 3 due soon

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bbb (666)

maxresdefault.jpg

:imp::imp::imp::imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::japanese_goblin::japanese_goblin::japanese_goblin::japanese_goblin::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::japanese_ogre::imp::imp::imp::imp:

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #1,770 of 2,037
Solo 3 due soon

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Seems the Studio 3 (as opposed to Solo my mistake) is not the end game it was touted to be. Despite the pre launch hype (?!??)including many hundreds of continuous posts, many without reply by a certain resident beats fan; the old guard can rest easy... for now

Nevermind spite them not sounding that good, not being that comfortable and certainly not that we'll made apparently they remain a well priced serious contender :wink:

Plus ca change

Users who are viewing this thread

Back