The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Jun 23, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #782 of 2,628
Did anyone watch the Classic albums show with Paranoid? It was great! Lots and lots of interview footage with all four members talking about the album, along with other spots from Henry Rollins, and academic Deena Weinstein, who said, "...And a genre is never created at the time, it's only created when people follow you."

I wrote about Weinstein's book and some others back in '05 - http://fastnbulbous.com/heavy-metal-holidaze/

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #783 of 2,628
Did anyone watch the Classic albums show with Paranoid? It was great! Lots and lots of interview footage with all four members talking about the album, along with other spots from Henry Rollins, and academic Deena Weinstein, who said, "...And a genre is never created at the time, it's only created when people follow you."

I wrote about Weinstein's book and some others back in '05 - http://fastnbulbous.com/heavy-metal-holidaze/

Fascinating read,thanks for sharing.

Jun 23, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #784 of 2,628

Wow. "Holidaze" is simply excellent work!

Now I realize that I'm going to get flamed for what I'm about to write, but it is the truth as I experienced in real time. I know it's a minority view, but not a singular view.

About Judas Priest: Yes, "Sad Wings of Destiny" is a true turning point, and "Sin After Sin" as well. But those are the only 2 studio albums I've ever owned, along with "Unleashed in the Studio" I mean "Unleashed in the East."

While contemporary thought seems to view them as the crystallization point, in 1978 I had a different view altogether. It's when metal sold out. Priest codified heavy metal to the point that it would be a commercial success, and the succeeding albums emphasize this point. "Stained Glass" is excellent, but not enough to make me cough up my roughly $7 to buy it.

"Hellbent for Leather" is a straight-up pop/rock album with twin-lead guitars. "British Steel" takes metal-light to a whole new level, and by this time Priest is a hit-factory, getting radio airplay and winning over teenie-boppers around the world. They were the "dark" B-side to Boston, REO, and Foreigner for a lot of kids.

Thank goodness for Iron Maiden!!!!

Just one of the many reasons reading the current revisions about Priest being the first real metal band makes me choke a bit.

Now, with age my perspective has mellowed considerably, and in hindsight I regret the whole "death to false metal" ethos. But it is honest to state that in that particular phase, Priest was at the top of that list.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #786 of 2,628
These guys always sound sick with a good headphone rig.

Dude, thanks for posting and reminding me: this was amazing! It has virtually everything I listen for in new music, and I'll be spending quality time with it over the next couple days with my Alpha Primes!!!!

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #787 of 2,628
Wow. "Holidaze" is simply excellent work!

Now I realize that I'm going to get flamed for what I'm about to write, but it is the truth as I experienced in real time. I know it's a minority view, but not a singular view.

About Judas Priest: Yes, "Sad Wings of Destiny" is a true turning point, and "Sin After Sin" as well. But those are the only 2 studio albums I've ever owned, along with "Unleashed in the Studio" I mean "Unleashed in the East."

While contemporary thought seems to view them as the crystallization point, in 1978 I had a different view altogether. It's when metal sold out. Priest codified heavy metal to the point that it would be a commercial success, and the succeeding albums emphasize this point. "Stained Glass" is excellent, but not enough to make me cough up my roughly $7 to buy it.

"Hellbent for Leather" is a straight-up pop/rock album with twin-lead guitars. "British Steel" takes metal-light to a whole new level, and by this time Priest is a hit-factory, getting radio airplay and winning over teenie-boppers around the world. They were the "dark" B-side to Boston, REO, and Foreigner for a lot of kids.

Thank goodness for Iron Maiden!!!!

Just one of the many reasons reading the current revisions about Priest being the first real metal band makes me choke a bit.

Now, with age my perspective has mellowed considerably, and in hindsight I regret the whole "death to false metal" ethos. But it is honest to state that in that particular phase, Priest was at the top of that list.

I actually agree with some of that. While to me Stained Class is their gleaming peak, it does leave behind some of the gothic drama of the previous two. I've always felt British Steel was a bit overrated, and far too simplistic and boring. In retrospect, Point Of Entry is a pretty interesting experiment, and makes me think of ZZ Top in a way from that era. However I think Screaming For Vengeance is a great return to form, and Defenders holds up well too.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #788 of 2,628
One of the greatest riffs in all heavy metal. In fact, this entire album has the kind of vibe, feel, and sound that would and could never be replicated.

And I have yet to hear anything heavier than this epic piece of metal genius. This was the first album I ever bought with my own money (along with the original "Tommy" by the Who, which is decidedly NOT metal). The effects on my 12-year-old mind in 1975, (NOT 74 as I've been claiming) was profound and irreversible. This is how I celebrated that birthday....

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #789 of 2,628
I I've always felt British Steel was a bit overrated, and far too simplistic and boring.

Yeah except 'Steeler',JPs greatest song.....EVER is on British Steel!

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #790 of 2,628
Speaking on early metal,this is from start to finish an excellent album.No filler.
My all-time favorite Accept song,'Save Us' @3:59

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #792 of 2,628
I have officially regained confidence in this generation:

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #794 of 2,628
Oh man...

• ALL THAT IS HEAVY IS FOR SALE (MAYBE): Due to an expensive divorce I am entertaining the idea of selling All That is Heavy. I won't be selling unless I can find a symbiotic buyer who would continue to operate the business in a similar independent spirit. According to Donald Trump, small businesses are doing better right now than they ever have been ever in all time so the timing certainly couldn't be any better! Serious inquiries only. No lookie-loos!

Jun 24, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #795 of 2,628
Speaking on early metal,this is from start to finish an excellent album.No filler.
My all-time favorite Accept song,'Save Us' @3:59

I had passed this over because Popoff, who rates Balls to the Wall as his #1 metal album of the 80s, gave this one a 3 in his Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal, which means he hated it with a white hot passion. Of course, his taste is quirky and highly unpredictable, so it's good to get a reality check from other people. Udo said they were searching for a direction on this album, trying out punk, ballads, commercial tracks, etc. I'd say they are pretty capable on most styles, but do think Breaker and Restless And Wild were big improvements. Nevertheless, totally worth hearing, thanks! I need to revisit their debut too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back