The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jun 30, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,701 of 3,322
Can anyone confirm or deny that this is safe to use with this 12 volt regulated linear power supply and the SRM-252S?

https://store.truetone.com/1-spot-reverse-polarity-converter/

I bought it before verifying. Apparently it was designed to be used with this 9 volt power supply.

Edit: I contacted the company and got an answer:

"The CYR adapter will work fine with your adapter and headphone amp. Just be sure that the power supply and amp have the same plug size. The CYR has the standard 5.5 x 2.1mm plug on both ends."

Unfortunately, the reverse polarity converter is arriving a day late, so I'll have to use the unregulated power supply in the meantime.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2,703 of 3,322
Is stock 252S wall power adaptor "unregulated" ?

According to this quote, it is. But I was referring to an unregulated Jameco power supply (with reverse polarity built-in) as opposed to the other regulated Jameco power supply I bought.

(I have three power supplies: those two and the original Japanese one.)

the original Japanese power supply is still unregulated, or so I've heard.

Jul 1, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #2,705 of 3,322
Any recommendations for the cheapest DACs that output 2 volts?

I didn't realize that the audio interface I downgraded to barely outputs over 1 volt, so the SRM-252S gets pushed too hard and distorts with some tracks.

The FiiO D03K is only $20 and outputs 1.6 volts, which might be enough to fix the problem, but I dunno.

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #2,707 of 3,322
might not be the cheapest ($69), https://hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC
Maybe check out your local craigslist/classifieds (or on this site) if you haven't, I got super lucky and got a used cambridge audio Azur Dacmagic for $60

Hmm. This one from the same company is just $30 and outputs 2 volts RMS. (Though it doesn't have all the features I'd like, and I'd have to use a 3.5 mm to RCA cable.)

https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/tiny-dac

Oh, but wait, it ships from China...

I used to have high-end DACs (including one that cost four figures) but downgraded to keep costs down.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #2,709 of 3,322
what features are you looking for?

Ideally, USB & S/PDIF optical inputs, RCA outputs, downloadable drivers, dedicated DAC (no headphone amp), and ships from the USA. But the only requirement is that it outputs enough voltage to get as much volume as I want with the 252S without distortion.

Edit: I created a separate thread to help keep this one more on-topic.

Edit 2: Ended up buying a JDS Labs OL DAC. Hopefully it will fix things. I also bought an optical cable so I can experiment with the TOSLINK output of the Behringer UCA202 audio interface.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #2,710 of 3,322
Ideally, USB & S/PDIF optical inputs, RCA outputs, downloadable drivers, dedicated DAC (no headphone amp), and ships from the USA. But the only requirement is that it outputs enough voltage to get as much volume as I want with the 252S without distortion.

Edit: I created a separate thread to help keep this one more on-topic.

Edit 2: Ended up buying a JDS Labs OL DAC. Hopefully it will fix things. I also bought an optical cable so I can experiment with the TOSLINK output of the Behringer UCA202 audio interface.

Im a noob when it comes to connections, why would you have the Behringer and JDS DAC connected at the same time?
Also is the Behringer ok for a stax system, and is the only way to connect a DAC to a Stax amp being RCA to RCA?
Sorry for all the questions btw

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #2,711 of 3,322
Im a noob when it comes to connections, why would you have the Behringer and JDS DAC connected at the same time?
Also is the Behringer ok for a stax system, and is the only way to connect a DAC to a Stax amp being RCA to RCA?
Sorry for all the questions btw

To use optical TOSLINK instead of USB. (The UCA202 does many things, including digital to digital conversion, so I can connect it to my computer via USB and then connect the UCA202 to the OL DAC via TOSLINK.)

As far as its DAC sound quality goes, the UCA202 sounds mostly as good as high-end DACs. But, as I mentioned, I'm getting distortion with some tracks on the SRM-252S, especially at high volume with heavy bass. I haven't determined the cause yet, but suspect it might be because the UCA202 barely outputs over 1 volt. (The OL DAC outputs 2 volts.)

You can also use adapter cables if need be, such as 3.5 mm to dual RCA.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #2,712 of 3,322
@Bloos

I came across this in your SR-L300 review:

The L300s have an amazing soundstage that sometimes makes me question whether I left my speakers on, I have not experienced this with any of my other headphones.

This intrigues me because, to my ears, the SR-L300 has a more intimate soundstage than the SR-207, SR-Λ, and many non-electrostatic open headphones. But compared to speakers, the soundstage differences between all of them become practically nothing.

Jul 2, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #2,713 of 3,322
I didn't mean when actually critically listening to vocals/songs. (And I just had laptop speakers at the time and would sometimes accidently start playing music before switching to the correct output, ya the laptop's speakers are bad but they are at least a point in space in front of me instead of beside my ears).
On second thought, I think this speaks more of how transparent they are rather than of the size of the soundstage.

I did however find the L300s slightly more spacious than 307s in a direct a-b. And the 307 I found much more spacious that 207s (for some reason I did not like the 207s, they sounded compressed, and while hellbent on getting the 207s before hearing them, I decided to spend ~17000JPY more for the L300s after trying the two)
Anyways I usually use OOYH, which comes really close to my floorstanding speakers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back