The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #2,192 of 2,262
Is there a consensus among AK240 users that balanced silver cables are always (or near always) better than balanced copper cables? Of course when headphone/iem are of a qualitative level appropriate to a top level DAP such as this.
Price differences are quite significant and was just wondering what the opinion of those who have experimented were.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #2,193 of 2,262
Hello again, my ak240 has just arrived, there a few things i cannot resolve:
the internal HD seems limited to 228gb rather than 256.
connected to a windows machine, I cannot access the internal HD (usb settings in mode MTP)
when the ak is connected to a computer, either Mac or pc, batteries would not charge (USB settings in mode MTP).
Is there anything I miss?

For Mac users: any better solution than the awful android app to upload folders in the internal memory?

Many thanks in advance

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #2,194 of 2,262
  Hello again, my ak240 has just arrived, there a few things i cannot resolve:
the internal HD seems limited to 228gb rather than 256.
connected to a windows machine, I cannot access the internal HD (usb settings in mode MTP)
when the ak is connected to a computer, either Mac or pc, batteries would not charge (USB settings in mode MTP).
Is there anything I miss?

For Mac users: any better solution than the awful android app to upload folders in the internal memory?

Many thanks in advance

1, showing 228Gb is normal due to formatting.
2, this is easy to over look, but in Windows under MTP your AK240 will not show as a drive, rather a device.  Also, inside your AK240 (and other AKs for that matter), you will have a folder for DAC drivers, so don't forget to install those.
3, your port may not have enough power.  Try a USB 3.0 port with 2amps.
4, ATP alternatives: http://www.topsoftreviews.net/android-file-transfer-for-mac-alternative/

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2,195 of 2,262
@DrSheep 
Many thanks.
I was reading on AK website that for mac users there is a procedure that allows the Mac see the AK as an external folder.
It is described as follows: 
(1) Turn on the Astell&Kern and connect it to your Mac.  
(2) Quickly choose “CONNECT REMOVABLE DISK” when shown on the touch screen.
(3) The Astell&Kern will appear as an external drive on the desktop and “USB Connected” message will appear on the touch screen.

I've tried several times, but the connect removable disk sentence never showed up.
any ideas?

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #2,196 of 2,262
  @DrSheep 
Many thanks.
I was reading on AK website that for mac users there is a procedure that allows the Mac see the AK as an external folder.
It is described as follows: 
(1) Turn on the Astell&Kern and connect it to your Mac.  
(2) Quickly choose “CONNECT REMOVABLE DISK” when shown on the touch screen.
(3) The Astell&Kern will appear as an external drive on the desktop and “USB Connected” message will appear on the touch screen.

I've tried several times, but the connect removable disk sentence never showed up.
any ideas?

No, and I would try other programs (like this one http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-to/finally-theres-better-alternative-android-file-transfer-for-macs-0171813/) first.  Worse case just forget about the internals and use a USB 3.0 microSD reader instead, much faster too (as the AK240 is only USB 2.0.)

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2,197 of 2,262
Almost forgot: try using AK Connect from the app store can work too.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #2,198 of 2,262
@DrSheep 
thanks again. Two things I'm not sure to understand:
the ak connect goes only through the wi-fi right?
second, what do you mean by forget about the internals and use a USB 3.0 microSD reader instead.
I mean, that's fine with the external micro sd, but the internal storage cannot be accessed in this way, or am I missing something?

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #2,199 of 2,262
  @DrSheep 
thanks again. Two things I'm not sure to understand:
the ak connect goes only through the wi-fi right?
second, what do you mean by forget about the internals and use a USB 3.0 microSD reader instead.
I mean, that's fine with the external micro sd, but the internal storage cannot be accessed in this way, or am I missing something?

1, yes, AK Connect is WiFi only, but if I remember correctly, you can use it to download your library too.
2, you are not wrong, and I found loading files into the AK240 (even the AK380 for this matter) is a pain in the ass.  This is why the original AK120 with its dual card slot is such a God send.

Sep 9, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,201 of 2,262

Anyone familiar with this particular ak240 model? Is it a blue note? I have never seen the gunmetal body with blue knob and buttons.

See the AK website for the blue note LE: http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/ak240/ak240_bluenote.asp

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #2,202 of 2,262

Anyone familiar with this particular ak240 model? Is it a blue note? I have never seen the gunmetal body with blue knob and buttons.

I responded to you in the other trend, but this was most likely a back and dial swap with the AK240SS.  I can assure that the BN version is blue with a custom blue leather case.

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #2,205 of 2,262
I fear I know the answer already but here goes:

I have an AK240 loaded with dsd files and an Angie II that i listen to using the balanced stock cable. I am considering purchasing a Mojo (and selling my Auralic Gemini while I am at it) to add some further quality and portability to my set up. Is there any way I can listen to these files in DSD quality while at the same time using my balanced cable? 

I guess there are two problems: 1. AK240 line out does not do DSD and 2. Mojo does not allow for balanced output. Correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back