Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 19, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #2,881 of 6,079
My thoughts of the KSE1500 (which to me are the -best- earphones I've ever owned) is that to my ears it invoke emotion out of me 'cos of the ethereal details pulls my attention in and fully immerses my attention into the music itself.

What the KSE1500 doesn't do for me is that it's not relaxing. So I"m wondering if "emotion" by that reviewer means it's not relaxing?

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #2,882 of 6,079
Mm..perhaps my taste is shifting. Clarity is just one aspect and I agree that the KSE delivers on that front. Bass impact is the KSE's achilles heel. As the reviewer points out, using the bass boost sinks the rest of the FR. Before, I preferred a flat/neutral tuning. Now, I seem to prefer a slight v-shaped sound signature more often than not.

My ideal sound (e-stat or otherwise) is the HE 1. The bass performance is just phenomenal. Clarity is off the charts. Treble and mid-range are also excellent. To my ears, it does not get any better than what I've heard off the HE 1.

Perhaps a new amplifier for the KSE will be better. As is, I agree with the assessment of the reviewer that the KSE's appeal is very limited.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #2,884 of 6,079
Funny you should say that, as I had tears in my eyes as well when I tried these for the first time. I mean, being a man, they were tears of soot and diesel oil, of course, but yeah, there was definitely some moisture involved when I listened to the beginning of Vivaldi Recomposed by Max Richter and the violins hit me with that stunning clarity. I also didn't find the bass lacking, and I'm a little bit of a basshead. The amount was fine to me, and it was good bass. Amazing earphones, these.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to quote @MRT-Man.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #2,885 of 6,079
  My thoughts of the KSE1500 (which to me are the -best- earphones I've ever owned) is that to my ears it invoke emotion out of me 'cos of the ethereal details pulls my attention in and fully immerses my attention into the music itself.

What the KSE1500 doesn't do for me is that it's not relaxing. So I"m wondering if "emotion" by that reviewer means it's not relaxing?

Will you ever have a chance to pair it with Currowang soundaware M1Pro? I think maybe a warmer sound pairs better with KSE1500.

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #2,886 of 6,079

Will you ever have a chance to pair it Currowang soundaware M1Pro? I think maybe a warmer sound pairs better with KSE1500.

I've not seen the Soundaware M1 Pro. If @Currawong comes to next weekend's Fujiya Spring show, then maybe I'll see if I can give it a shot.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #2,887 of 6,079

Will you ever have a chance to pair it with Currowang soundaware M1Pro? I think maybe a warmer sound pairs better with KSE1500.

I had to send the M1 PRO back, as it was only a loaner. I reckon that, given the level of detail the KSE1500 is capable of, you can do better than the M1PRO. I'd like to try it with the Hugo 2.

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #2,888 of 6,079
Mm..perhaps my taste is shifting. Clarity is just one aspect and I agree that the KSE delivers on that front. Bass impact is the KSE's achilles heel. As the reviewer points out, using the bass boost sinks the rest of the FR. Before, I preferred a flat/neutral tuning. Now, I seem to prefer a slight v-shaped sound signature more often than not.

My ideal sound (e-stat or otherwise) is the HE 1. The bass performance is just phenomenal. Clarity is off the charts. Treble and mid-range are also excellent. To my ears, it does not get any better than what I've heard off the HE 1.

Perhaps a new amplifier for the KSE will be better. As is, I agree with the assessment of the reviewer that the KSE's appeal is very limited.
You feel its bass impact is insufficient? With Westone star tips I find it slamming very hard. Not to me to on with the custom silicon tips.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #2,889 of 6,079
I think the KSE bass is very tight. I'm going to speculate here but maybe when folks feel the bass is lean, the expectation is for a little more bass bloom or bass warmth which I probably would agree that that is the area the KSE is a little shy on.

But actual impact or slam, to my definition at least, the KSE has it.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #2,890 of 6,079
Mm..I'm still using the stock foamie eartips (since day 1). Maybe I'll try the Star eartips from Westone. As for pairing with a warmer source.....nada. Not to my satisfaction (the bass again). For iem bass, my personal reference would be close to the bass performance of the Rhines Stage 5. Beautiful. Haven't heard anything like it since then until the Fourte came along. Still waiting to arrive. I am nitpicking I guess having owned the KSE since January of 2016. I'm using the KSE less and less. I checked the battery cycle: only 21.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #2,891 of 6,079
Mm..I'm still using the stock foamie eartips (since day 1). Maybe I'll try the Star eartips from Westone. As for pairing with a warmer source.....nada. Not to my satisfaction (the bass again). For iem bass, my personal reference would be close to the bass performance of the Rhines Stage 5. Beautiful. Haven't heard anything like it since then until the Fourte came along. Still waiting to arrive. I am nitpicking I guess having owned the KSE since January of 2016. I'm using the KSE less and less. I checked the battery cycle: only 21.

We are looking forward reading your impressions about the Fourte, and expecially against the KSE1500 :)

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,892 of 6,079
Bought these headphones on a whim. Finally getting around to getting Sensaphonics to fit my poorly fitting Custom Molded Tips. Now I see the Chord Hugo 2 is out. Would these two paired together with properly fitting tips blow me away?!

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #2,893 of 6,079
I should say before you read this that we shouldn't judge others' taste....

But come on KSE1500 lacks emotions...... what were u listening at ? Cheap mastered recording ? Bad seal? I think the bass is well done with the triple flang tips. Again it is not intended to be bassy-headphone. Shure se846 is Bassy if u want something for ur basshead.

Although he agrees with me the kse1500 sucks at electronic music, still I don't find his review an honest one, or at least he could have definded what does he mean by "emotional and technical" or was he just doing some marketing techniques hahaha..... no emotion!!!!!!

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #2,895 of 6,079
So why does it "suck" with electronic music?

Only explanation i got, which i have mentioned somewhere in the thread, at least for trance, techno etc, they are not well mastered like unprofessionally done. So it is not kse1500 fault... it is just sensitive.

So unless the recording is s*** kse1500 is the best in terms of sound(at least this is how i see it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back