Show us your vintage headphones!
May 10, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #1,966 of 3,129
SE-4 was respectable but underdamped -- bassy and flabby. I couldnt get it apart either, which infuriated me. Just a small adjustment and it'd be wonderful...

May 11, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #1,967 of 3,129
Beyerdynaimc DT48 (5ohm) in VarioCup

IMAG7087.jpg

IMAG7091.jpg

IMAG7092.jpg

IMAG7097.jpg

IMAG7109.jpg

IMAG7107.jpg

IMAG7103.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #1,969 of 3,129
^^^ What has science done??

But seriously, what's the point of the second housing?

Isolation. Basically like wearing a set of builder's safety-earmuffs over the headphone.

I was wondering who won that auction.

May 11, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #1,972 of 3,129
Theory of mine on those second outer housings.
Those were for medical equipment ( this I know ) so I figure the outer housings are something that can easily be sterilized / wiped down with sanitizer in that environment

May 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #1,973 of 3,129
A new, surprisingly good headphone arrived today:
'Prefer HD 95 Studio Monitor Series' - Ultra Light, Rare Earth Metal Super Magnet'
Wonderfully balanced smooth sound with just enough lack of bass to add a touch more mids than being completely flat. I bough them for monitoring in the studio as the Sony MDR V6 can get a bit too warm in summer months. From what I have heard they should be perfect :) with the bonus that they with their nice relaxed easy to listen to tone that are also great for music

Looks almost identical to the 'Maruni' [is that the name?] brand

2n0supx.jpg

2hn6mgz.jpg

May 13, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #1,975 of 3,129
Get equipped with: Ultra Light, Rare Earth Metal Super Happy Overclocked Studio Audiophile Magnet XL

That's my PREFERed choice.... I'll see myself out...

May 13, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #1,976 of 3,129
Get equipped with: Ultra Light, Rare Earth Metal Super Happy Overclocked Studio Audiophile Magnet XL

:D

Oh yes, totally, only the most discerning sound engineer would : Get equipped with: Ultra Light, Rare Earth Metal Super Happy Overclocked Studio Audiophile Magnet XL
It did make me smile, I think they 'may' have used one or two more words than may have been *coughs* necessary
They are a wonderfully balanced neutral headphone though...surprisingly so
They also feature : turbo boosted transient cohesionionisation along with a matched acoustic damped headband which adds up to 2db's of dohickery

May 13, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #1,977 of 3,129
That's my PREFERed choice.... I'll see myself out...

I'll errrm, get your coat . . . :)

Quick question:

How does one 'dampen' the inside of a headphone cup to increase bass?
Ive had great success with reducing or removing excessive bass but I cant figure out how to increase it :/

I also had a Beyerdynamic DT440 arrive (although the '2nd' cup has stopped working after trying some different materials)
If I can fix it I want to continue with damping techniques
thanks

May 13, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #1,978 of 3,129
I'll errrm, get your coat . . . :)

Quick question:

How does one 'dampen' the inside of a headphone cup to increase bass?
Ive had great success with reducing or removing excessive bass but I cant figure out how to increase it :/

I also had a Beyerdynamic DT440 arrive (although the '2nd' cup has stopped working after trying some different materials)
If I can fix it I want to continue with damping techniques
thanks

For the basses you want thicker bigger ear pads. Pleather is also the way to go.
Velour will let all the bass escape.

The alternative if you don't mind on-ear pads is to go as flat as you find comfortable, as the bass will increase the closer the drivers are to the ear. But at the sacrifice of soundstage.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #1,979 of 3,129
You could also try finding a pad with a smaller inner opening,
or even applying a disk of decal right in the middle of the front baffle trying various sizes. Something the ends up looking like some of the Koss stuff.
( or block some center holes on the baffle earside )

Searchinz in here before the change was horrible using the term "prefer" :0
Not tried it now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back