Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Jan 6, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #1,861 of 3,480
  Can this player power High Ohm Earbuds or Do I need separate Additional AMP?

I've switched my M1 to "High Gain" mode, and connected my 250Ω Beyerdynamic DT-831 Headphones.

I don't know whether earbuds are easier or harder to drive than over-the-ear headphones, but the M1 & DT-831 combo sounds good to me.

The M1 doesn't have "Line Out", so take that into account when deciding if you want to add a separate amp.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,863 of 3,480
Hey guys, I've searched much of this thread but would like to clarify 2 things:

1) We can pair it with a phone via bluetooth and all the sounds from the phone can be streamed through it? (E.g., even notifications, phone calls, sounds from games, etc., i.e., this pairing is non-app specific)
2) When paired with an external DAC-amp (like a Mojo), this is only acting as a library and the DAC/Amp part is purely on the external device like the Mojo?

Was thinking of a Android phone with Tidal/Spotify -> M1 -> Mojo -> Headphones combo.

Thanks for clarifying!

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #1,864 of 3,480
  Hey guys, I've searched much of this thread but would like to clarify 2 things:

1) We can pair it with a phone via bluetooth and all the sounds from the phone can be streamed through it? (E.g., even notifications, phone calls, sounds from games, etc., i.e., this pairing is non-app specific)
2) When paired with an external DAC-amp (like a Mojo), this is only acting as a library and the DAC/Amp part is purely on the external device like the Mojo?

Was thinking of a Android phone with Tidal/Spotify -> M1 -> Mojo -> Headphones combo.

Thanks for clarifying!

For 1) - The M1 does not have a Microphone input, so you could possibly hear a phone call, but wouldn't be able to talk on a phone call.
Before I fouled-up the installation of Viper4Android on my rooted Nexus 7, I did verify that the V4A audio effects were being streamed through Bluetooth from the Tablet to the M1.
Another note about Bluetooth - I was able to pair my Dad's M1 with the Bluetooth in his 2014 Honda Accord.  The Honda also has AUX (USB & Analog) inputs, and the Analog works with the M1, but I think the USB input is fairly iPhone specific.
For 2) - When using the M1 as a transport, sending the music via USB to an external DAC, the internal DAC and analog circuits aren't being used.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #1,865 of 3,480
For 1) - The M1 does not have a Microphone input, so you could possibly hear a phone call, but wouldn't be able to talk on a phone call.
Before I fouled-up the installation of Viper4Android on my rooted Nexus 7, I did verify that the V4A audio effects were being streamed through Bluetooth from the Tablet to the M1.
Another note about Bluetooth - I was able to pair my Dad's M1 with the Bluetooth in his 2014 Honda Accord.  The Honda also has AUX (USB & Analog) inputs, and the Analog works with the M1, but I think the USB input is fairly iPhone specific.
For 2) - When using the M1 as a transport, sending the music via USB to an external DAC, the internal DAC and analog circuits aren't being used.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Thanks! Good to know that the M1 can be used to stream all sounds instead of just a certain app. In my currently setup (mobile phone -> CIEM), when I am listening to songs and I get a phone call or text, I hear the ringing/notification and can respond to it. Previously, I was using a dedicated DAP not connected to my phone. Many times, since I am using CIEMs, I don't hear my phone ringing when I am listening to songs, I get tons of missed calls and angry people asking me to response as soon as possible!

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #1,866 of 3,480
I'm after an inexpensive DAP to pair with my Mojo which has a decent EQ built in. Is the EQ implementation good and does it work when using a USB DAC? I currently have a Sony A15 but the EQ is disabled when using USB digital out.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #1,867 of 3,480
I'm after an inexpensive DAP to pair with my Mojo which has a decent EQ built in. Is the EQ implementation good and does it work when using a USB DAC? I currently have a Sony A15 but the EQ is disabled when using USB digital out.

Nikolaus Matheis of these here parts has done a very comprehensive video on the m1.  It's on youtube and eq demonstration is around the 14 minute mark.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #1,873 of 3,480
Interesting....the M1 can be used a something of a Bluetooth receiver from the iphone and then pass the signal to a Mojo or what have you?

The engineer in me would rather just pass the signal directly to the Mojo from the iphone, but I understand that you might want to control your streaming service from the couch or what have you and play it back elsewhere.

Of course my engineering degree (not currently in use) is in Civil Engineering, so what do I know?

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #1,874 of 3,480
  Interesting....the M1 can be used a something of a Bluetooth receiver from the iphone and then pass the signal to a Mojo or what have you?

The engineer in me would rather just pass the signal directly to the Mojo from the iphone, but I understand that you might want to control your streaming service from the couch or what have you and play it back elsewhere.

Of course my engineering degree (not currently in use) is in Civil Engineering, so what do I know?

The mojo does not have bluetooth functionality, so you would have to use a cable from your couch to the mojo.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #1,875 of 3,480
The Shanling M1 works just perfect as bluetooth reciever for the Mojo...

My setup is:

M1 + Mojo and my Samsung Galaxy S4 which has like the M1 bluetooth Apt-X are paired.

I'm using the app "USB Audio player PRO" since this app works also without any USB DAC connected through Android and I can stream any music from 16/44 FLAC files up to DSD files without problems, Tidal and Qobuz also supported within USB Adudio Player PRO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back