Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 28, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #17,626 of 46,564
I'll let them burn in for tonight and tomorrow, so I can enjoy them during the weekend.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm burning mine on my head now. 
biggrin.gif

Opeth - In Live Concert at the Royal Albert Hall (24/192 Vinyl Rip).

May 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #17,627 of 46,564
I'm burning mine with Suzanne Vega's Retrospective album. :) Great production, it sound great with HD650s, highly recommended.

May 28, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #17,628 of 46,564

I also highly recommend Sennheiser HH 10 Headphone Holder if you ever need something discreet. Cheap and works great with HD600s.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622427-REG/Sennheiser_510615_HH_10_Headphone_Holder.html

Oh, man... if I did that, my two cats would go to town using my cans as a scratching post.  I have my Woo Audio stands tucked back in the corner of my desk, with cables coiled up out of "claws way".

May 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #17,629 of 46,564

Oh, man... if I did that, my two cats would go to town using my cans as a scratching post.  I have my Woo Audio stands tucked back in the corner of my desk, with cables coiled up out of "claws way".

My cat doesn't seem interested in the headphones themselves... but she tried to chew on the hanging cable, though, so I had to tuck it all the way up (as you can see on the picture).

May 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #17,630 of 46,564
will they really burn if I use celine dion? I was told not to mess with those stuff.

Quote:
  Sometimes people confuse detail with high frequency shrill, IMO.

that is very true, and I only understood this a few years ago while arguing about some bright little crap of IEMs. to a lot of people boosted high medium equals to more details and more dynamic. and that's mostly why those people believe the hd650 to be dull/muffled. it's about frequency signature and has actually nothing to do with definition of dynamic. the hd650 being IMO pretty good in both respects.it's just not the boasting kind of headphone ^_^.

May 28, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #17,631 of 46,564
  that is very true, and I only understood this a few years ago while arguing about some bright little crap of IEMs. to a lot of people boosted high medium equals to more details and more dynamic. and that's mostly why those people believe the hd650 to be dull/muffled. it's about frequency signature and has actually nothing to do with definition of dynamic. the hd650 being IMO pretty good in both respects.it's just not the boasting kind of headphone ^_^.

After decade of HD600 listening, I find HD650 more relaxing and comfortable, lush, especially with acoustic stuff. More to my liking.
At the same time, additional mid-bass punch adds a lot of life to rock and heavy metal.

May 28, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #17,634 of 46,564

I had Q701s (I bought them without trying due to their very positive reviews - biggest audio mistake I've ever made) but sold them. They are, to my ears, terrible headphones. Very harsh and thin sounding. It sounds detailed due to it's bright nature but it's false detail, not true , honest detail like the HD800s. I now have HD 650s, and I love them. They sound amazing, they can bring out details without hurting ears, are very musical and fun. I listen to them with Meridian Explorer, hoping to upgrade to Chord Hugo soon. I also like Meridian Prime but it doesn't play DSD, so it's not as future-proof.

Yes, yes, yes. My experience exactly. Q701s - they are good for percussive noises and soundstage. For music, for life, one goes elsewhere. HD800s are perfect for me. HD650s are joyous and musical. Grados - full of music; my journey is beginning.

May 28, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #17,636 of 46,564
I've been playing around with JRiver's awesome parametric equalizer. I like the 650's out of the box but sometimes it's interesting to tweak things.

Here's a couple of things I've pretty much settled on.

If you study the frequency response graph for the HD 650 at Innerfidelity (thanks Tyll, link below) you'll notice a slight 'notch' at 60Hz. This can be remedied as follows...

1. Create a low-shelf filter at 60Hz with a gain of +3dB and a Q factor (bandwidth) of 2.

The same graph also clearly shows a relatively large dip in response at 55kHz. Try this out...

2. Create a high-shelf filter at 55kHz with a gain of +4 dB and Q factor of 3.

There are no 'night & day' moments here. These are very subtle changes and sometimes - depending on the music - quite difficult to discern. I think it fills the sound in better. Im using an O2 fed by an ODAC. Remember, this is with my ears & my brain - YMMV.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts you guys might have.

Here's that graph...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf

May 28, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #17,637 of 46,564
For the first time in many years I'm tapping my leg with a music, again with HD650 !!!

May 28, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #17,639 of 46,564
Ringing issue aside.. I'd like to wholeheartedly recommend the Schiit Vali for the HD650.  I had the Vali once before (right when it was released).. and sold it only because I needed to allocate funds for another HF related purchase.  Since then, I've missed its wonderful sound.  For kicks, I bought it again last week (the 'ringing' issue on this most recent Vali seems almost completely eliminated) and I absolutely love it with the HD650.  Among the many superlatives I can spout off, it was refreshing to witness the Vali's incredible resolving ability, phenomenal tonal accuracy, smooth dynamics, and extremely black background.. the Vali's ability to sound so natural, especially with the HD650 is quite simply addictive.  I feel a HQ DAC is important to hearing just what the Vali is capable of, too.. I'm using the Geek Out 1000, atm and I find this combo to be thoroughly satisfying.  The Vali is truly a '(hybrid) tube amp done right'.. at under $150, no less!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back