Schiit Owners Unite
May 28, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #12,661 of 13,350
So; here are my impressions of the Schiit Magni Uber 2/Modi 2 and Sennheiser hd598 and hd650.

Not really worth it. I mean; it sounds pretty good. But I hardly notice any difference straight from my imac. The hd650 is drivable, but it can't quite punch through the so called 'veil' everyone is talking about. It can't bring up the bass enough. The 598's have a 'background bass' which I would like to be a bit more punchy; but that's both the headphone's and the schiit's fault.

Can i return them with the reason "I can't tell the difference"? Do I wait for another headphone?

Lesson learned: get an amp with 'bass boost' options, because equalizer software is **** on mac.

You may wish to check out the HD598Cs closed back. I find it has a little more bass than the original HD598.

IMHO, YMMV, yada, yada, yada...

May 29, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #12,662 of 13,350
Okay, it seems that in my enthusiasm i bought the mm stack because it would drive speakers, before realizing they only drive active speakers.

What would be the best option? Get a good pair of active speakers? Just go for those kef egg shaped bluetooth desktop speakers that i could plug in as well? Return the magni for a better amp that Will drive passive speakers?

So; here are my impressions of the Schiit Magni Uber 2/Modi 2 and Sennheiser hd598 and hd650.

Not really worth it. I mean; it sounds pretty good. But I hardly notice any difference straight from my imac. The hd650 is drivable, but it can't quite punch through the so called 'veil' everyone is talking about. It can't bring up the bass enough. The 598's have a 'background bass' which I would like to be a bit more punchy; but that's both the headphone's and the schiit's fault.

Can i return them with the reason "I can't tell the difference"? Do I wait for another headphone?

Lesson learned: get an amp with 'bass boost' options, because equalizer software is **** on mac.

You should not have to use software equalization. All Schiit products do a good job of reproducing the full range of nice clear sound, and I think you should focus more on the ear end of the chain for the bass and punchiness you're seeking.

Try closed back headphones instead. I highly recommend the Sony MDR-Z7. Those 'phones are right up there in price and audiophile quality with similar Sennheisers cans. And hey, they both start with an "S". For speakers, I'd stay away from those KEF egg things. They do not have the right inputs, so you'd be forced to bypass your Modi. If you have your heart set on KEFs, look for a different powered pair with RCA jacks so you can pass sound through your Modi and the preamp of your Magni 2U. JBL speakers are good too, among others. Personally I recommend you take a look at the PSB Alpha 1-100 active speakers and sub for amazing bass and power from a small package.

All of the above would cost less than upgrading from your Magni to a $1699 Ragnarok, and probably do far more to make your inner "bass head" very happy. OK? Please let us know what you try next.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #12,663 of 13,350
hey guys getting static issue with my asgard2/bifrost uber stack.. when i switch the rca cables to the opposite color on either the amp or dac the static switches earcups. USB not connected at all and the static is still present. what gives? I've contacted schiit twice and they have not even replied at all.

Jun 30, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #12,664 of 13,350
hey guys getting static issue with my asgard2/bifrost uber stack.. when i switch the rca cables to the opposite color on either the amp or dac the static switches earcups. USB not connected at all and the static is still present. what gives? I've contacted schiit twice and they have not even replied at all.

Have you filled out their support form? They generally reply within 24hrs, but my experience has been a reply within a few hours.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #12,665 of 13,350
Finally joined the family with a Mimby and a Vali 2. Had them for a few days and quite pleased with them.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #12,666 of 13,350
Finally joined the family with a Mimby and a Vali 2. Had them for a few days and quite pleased with them.

Welcome to the Schiit Club...

:)

Jun 30, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #12,668 of 13,350

Instead of using the form on the website generate your own E-Mail to tech@Schiit.com with pertinent info on your units and the problem. Their website form never worked for me (most likely my browser settings or some other aspect of my internet set up). I quickly figured this out and no issues since. I've exchanged about 2 dozen direct E-Mails with Schiit tech and sales and never failed to get a quick response. Keep in mind that as of today we got a long holiday weekend probably until Wednesday of next week in some cases.

Jul 1, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #12,670 of 13,350
I have been thoroughly enjoying the GMB/MJ2 for the last few months ... an impressive sounding pairing. Initially, my source was a USB based Sonore microRendu powered by an UpTone UltraCap LPS-1 and this does produce superb results. However, I have been following various comments around Head-Fi about S/PDIF vs USB and have considered various options, particularly from the Singxer stable. A while ago I also came across a USB/S/PDIF interface in France ... the Armature Hercate (http://armature.audio/hecate-interface-usb/). This does look very similar to the Singxer F1 ... virtually identical, I would say.... but available as a European assembled product. I took the plunge and bought one to try (€209 from Audiophonics, their main distributor), together with an adapter cable so that I can power the unit separately, rather than rely on potentially noisy power from the MacMini. I used the UltraCap LPS-1 for this purpose that I already had powering the microRendu. I think separate power is the most important factor here. I wasn't expecting a massive improvement but was rather surprised at the result I heard. To my ears, through the GMB/MJ2, there is more detail, more air around the instruments, wider stage and better imaging. The presentation was, however, more forward with slightly less depth, giving a more 'intimate' feel to the music ... which is no bad thing for the Jazz I listen to. A well worthwhile experiment.... S/PDIF may very well turn out to be my preference ... I'll carry on listening for a while longer !

IMG_0178.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 1, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #12,671 of 13,350
You try different cables?

Yes I tried 2 different set of rca cables. I just realized that when the bifrost is in USB input mode it has the static. The USB cord is not connected FYI . If I switch the input to one of the other 2 options there is no static.. but again, the static will switch ears if i reverse the red and white on the Asgard 2 or bifrost. I'm a bit confused by all this because I thought it would be a ground loop issue. But then why is there only static on USB input even without USB cable plugged in.

Jul 1, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #12,672 of 13,350
That sounds like a warranty situation to me.

JJ

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #12,673 of 13,350
I just got a Mimby to pair with my Jotunheim w/USB, was hoping to do some A/B comparisons to see if the multibit makes a big difference. Unfortunately, when I swap the usb cable from the Jot over to the Mimby I get a ton of noise. Same usb cable, plugged into the same port on my PC, when using the Jot's DAC it is virtually silent with no detectable noise. Does this sound like a defect with the Mimby? It's so bad I can't even get a feel for any sound differences, as all I can focus on is the extra noise?

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #12,674 of 13,350
I just got a Mimby to pair with my Jotunheim w/USB, was hoping to do some A/B comparisons to see if the multibit makes a big difference. Unfortunately, when I swap the usb cable from the Jot over to the Mimby I get a ton of noise. Same usb cable, plugged into the same port on my PC, when using the Jot's DAC it is virtually silent with no detectable noise. Does this sound like a defect with the Mimby? It's so bad I can't even get a feel for any sound differences, as all I can focus on is the extra noise?

Can you describe the noise? I got crackling/popping (especially at the end of tracks) with both Modi Multibits I owned, but couldn't determine the cause. (Schiit couldn't either, as both were tested and they could not reproduce the problem.) It could be an issue with your system/computer.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #12,675 of 13,350
Does the noise continue after restarting both the Jot and Mimby and leaving the USB cable connected?
JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back