Q701 impressions thread
Jan 6, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #9,496 of 9,602
Always used the Q701 out of my cellphones, mainly my S3. Never really felt the need for a dedicated DAC/amp.

The issues with using the S3 with low impedance IEMs go away with the Q701 so yeah. But very hard to drive properly at all. Wanting them to sound differently via their source/amplifier is a different thing all together.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #9,497 of 9,602
I dunu if I would call it exactly a monster amp, it does 49mw @32 ohm. Definitely more powerful than my other phones but not even twice as much. The q701 can be driven with any android phone that has just an integrated snapdragon amp, but at a very high volume

I'm not sure that anyone has actually gotten accurate measurements on the V10. The amp has 3 different gains that are triggered by sending the impedance of what is plugged into it. I've also read that some websites when testing the audio of the V10 weren't even engaging the ESS hardware. All I know is that the sound is impressive.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #9,499 of 9,602
I'm not sure that anyone has actually gotten accurate measurements on the V10. The amp has 3 different gains that are triggered by sending the impedance of what is plugged into it. I've also read that some websites when testing the audio of the V10 weren't even engaging the ESS hardware. All I know is that the sound is impressive.

I've used them with 300 ohm hd800s so I'm sure that should have gotten it to its max gain, they power it just fine. I'm pretty sure 49-60mw is the maximum rated spec of the amp which I have read somewhere. The sound is decent but the power isolation is terrible and I get a buzz when I listen to them while the phone is charging. Pretty sure the dac is always active as long as hifi is enabled, this wasn't the case before it got an update to marshmallow or so

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #9,500 of 9,602
   You guys are lucky i used  to plug-in mine into my iPhone/iPad and Macbook sure they do get loud/harsh just that the bass/treble is just not the way it supposed to sound.

I heard the iphone 6s had an issue with the audio quality that the original 6 did not have. But I dunu what issue with treble/bass you have

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #9,502 of 9,602
idk, out of the 1/4 inch output of my Mjolnir 2 I did reach for the high gain switch, it's true, but although the sound lacked the refinement of K1000, so do, uh, most other headphones.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #9,503 of 9,602
I had the V10 and now the V20 while they are adequate they not exactly optimal either. I had my Q 701 re cabled to balanced so I could use it with my NuForce HA-200 mono blocks This is a total overkill no doubt, but it also gave a bit cleaner yet punchier sound without distortion.
Having said that, the O2, the Ifi Ican, even the Fiio E18 Kunlun Dac/Amp will do very nice with this headphone, better than with the V20.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #9,504 of 9,602
I had the V10 and now the V20 while they are adequate they not exactly optimal either. I had my Q 701 re cabled to balanced so I could use it with my NuForce HA-200 mono blocks This is a total overkill no doubt, but it also gave a bit cleaner yet punchier sound without distortion.
Having said that, the O2, the Ifi Ican, even the Fiio E18 Kunlun Dac/Amp will do very nice with this headphone, better than with the V20.

The HA-200 is very smooth and quite warm in its signature so it could also be that this suits you better with the Q's.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #9,505 of 9,602
I wouldn't call them warm at all, to me they are what they supposed to be, neutral. I do find the V20 rather euphonic compared to the Nuforce and actually in a good way so it's not like I don't like them, not at all, and I can see why some like the combination of the V20 and the the Q 701 together and just call it a day.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #9,506 of 9,602
I wouldn't call them warm at all, to me they are what they supposed to be, neutral. I do find the V20 rather euphonic compared to the Nuforce and actually in a good way so it's not like I don't like them, not at all, and I can see why some like the combination of the V20 and the the Q 701 together and just call it a day.

I'd guess we just hear the HA-200 differently then since I definitely find them to be on the warm side (almost tube like sounding) while still remaining excellent transparency and detail.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #9,507 of 9,602
Yeah each it's own.:)

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #9,509 of 9,602
NFB11. Its DAC is way better than any of the schiit DACs below Gungnir, and the amp section is more powerful than magni by a long shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back