Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Apr 15, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #1,576 of 1,830
Does anyone know if the Pioneer is a Duplex Bluetooth, I was reading up on the Cayin n3 and shanling m1 and they mentioned that it receives a Bluetooth signal, so you can send Spotify streaming music from your phone to those daps? Is the pioneer capable of this? -crossing fingers-

It's not.

Would it be any advantage when you can install Spotify directly on the device?

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #1,577 of 1,830
It's not.

Would it be any advantage when you can install Spotify directly on the device?

If you are not in an area that has free Wi-Fi ( my work) you could use your phone with cellular network to stream to your DAP and take advantage of the DAC/amp. isn't that what you would be able to do? Hopefully I am understanding the feature correctly.

James

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #1,578 of 1,830
If you are not in an area that has free Wi-Fi ( my work) you could use your phone with cellular network to stream to your DAP and take advantage of the DAC/amp. isn't that what you would be able to do? Hopefully I am understanding the feature correctly.

Ah yes I see.

You could achieve the same outcome by using your phone to create a Wi-Fi 'hotspot' and connect the Pioneer DAP to it for streaming purposes.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,579 of 1,830
Yea, I don't have the ability to use a hotspot with my phone service ☹️

Another question here, Any suggestions of an amp to pair up with the Pioneer? I was thinking the Cayin c5 but if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. I am just wanting to give my Pioneer a little more umph!!

Thanks,
James

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #1,580 of 1,830
Does the native Pioneer music app have any kind of resume playback if you leave that track and then come back to it?  I listen to a lot of audiobooks and always found that feature fairly handy on the old ipods.  I know the 3rd party apps such as poweramp and neutron do it, just wondered if the pioneer app did as well.  Failing that is the pioneer app compatible with the m4b format (apples own audiobook format)?

Thanks

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #1,581 of 1,830
  Does the native Pioneer music app have any kind of resume playback if you leave that track and then come back to it?  I listen to a lot of audiobooks and always found that feature fairly handy on the old ipods.  I know the 3rd party apps such as poweramp and neutron do it, just wondered if the pioneer app did as well.  Failing that is the pioneer app compatible with the m4b format (apples own audiobook format)?

Thanks

Hey davidcotton,

No idea if the Pioneer is capable of M4B codec. As for the resume feature, one of the side buttons on the XDP-100R is a play/pause button. As long as you don't fiddle with the track that's playing, and don't have any other running audio programs to interfere, then pressing the play/pause button hours later will resume from where you left off. 

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #1,582 of 1,830
Hi all,
Finally decided to pull the trigger and buy one of these. Should be here in a couple of days. Coming from a HTC 10 which really got me into appreciating my music a lot more.

Any tips and tricks or things to do initially with this device? Currently using some Sony mdr-1a headphones. Thinking of upgrading to some Pm-3s soon.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,583 of 1,830
Best tips with the new XDP:

Make sure you install the latest firmware.

Don't install any crapware (Youtube, facebook, Twitter, Grinder), you have a phone for that.

You can disable all the Android junk like Contacts, Gmail, Google Books, Maps, Printer, GPS.......all the stuff that will be constantly updating in the background if you don't get rid of it.

If you are not streaming music, then you can disable the WiFi, and Blutooth and anything else in the background.

Use the fastest Sandisk SD cards.

Only buy Sandisk cards from Adorama or B&H Photo. These 2 sellers ONLY buy direct from Sandisk, never from distributors.

Sandisk says that 40% of all the cards on the market are counterfeit, even ones from Bestbuy have been fake, so don't risk it.

90mb/second:
https://www.adorama.com/idsiums200gb.html

Enjoy!

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #1,584 of 1,830
  Best tips with the new XDP:

Make sure you install the latest firmware.

Don't install any crapware (Youtube, facebook, Twitter, Grinder), you have a phone for that.

You can disable all the Android junk like Contacts, Gmail, Google Books, Maps, Printer, GPS.......all the stuff that will be constantly updating in the background if you don't get rid of it.

If you are not streaming music, then you can disable the WiFi, and Blutooth and anything else in the background.

Use the fastest Sandisk SD cards.

Only buy Sandisk cards from Adorama or B&H Photo. These 2 sellers ONLY buy direct from Sandisk, never from distributors.

Sandisk says that 40% of all the cards on the market are counterfeit, even ones from Bestbuy have been fake, so don't risk it.

90mb/second:
https://www.adorama.com/idsiums200gb.html

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips, just ordered one from Jet.com, i got a nice little percentage off to bring the total down from $299.00 to $267.00, can't wait to get get it, i have two 200gb sandisk cards ready to pop into the unit. As you say i don't need all the extra apps as my phone has all that, just want a really great music player, this looks to fill the bill.

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #1,585 of 1,830
I'm new to both the forum and to the XDP-100R, which I've only had for a few days. After the drastic price drop (from $699 to $299 US), I decided to purchase one to replace a Sony NWZ-A17 which never seemed powerful enough to drive my 32 Ohm 1More E1001 earbuds, or Onkyo ED-PH0N3S. (It's worth mentioning that the NWZ-A17 drove my 17 Ohm Shure SE215's to my satisfaction, but I don't care for those earbuds anymore because the sound always cuts out on one side or the other even after a couple of replacement cables.)

I've been much happier with the XDP-100R, which pairs very nicely with both the Onkyos and 1Mores. I do, however, have a few questions for those of you who might be more familiar with this DAP.

(1) There is a system notification both on the lock screen and in the app drawer that prominently states "Headphone is plugged in." Naturally, when the headphones are plugged in I can already tell that using my own sight, hearing, or touch, so I don't need the player to tell me so prominently. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable this not-so-vital notification?

(2) The interface uses the same goldish-orangeish color that fried my eyes in Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010. For what it's worth, this is the same color that is used by the Sony NWZ-A17, but I figure that since the XDP-100R uses a very common operating system, there *must* be a way to change its interface color or theme. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

(3) When intially configuring the XDP-100R, I seem to recall coming across a setting for specifying the exact model of headphones that you're using. I can't seem to find this anywhere in the menu tree anymore. Can anyone help me find this? Does anyone know what it actually does? [Edit: I may have just answered this one myself. I think this mysterious setting could have been in the separate "Onkyo HF Player" app, which I installed and promptly uninstalled in favor of the built in stock Music app.]

(4) Is there a rough guideline for what types of headphones correspond to each of the four gain settings (High, Normal, Low 1, Low 2)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back