Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Mar 18, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #1,546 of 1,830
@Signal2Noise, nothing to see here folks, I simply stated my impression of the XDP-100 I purchased from NewEgg.   In comparison to my Teac HA-P90SD, the XDP-100 sounded to digital and cold.   If you are enjoying the sound coming from your player Signal2Noise, then it means YOU enjoy the sound from your player.  Nothing to debate or discuss.  

My brother and I are both over 50 and we've enjoy the music styles and device since the seventies.   Imagine being able to hear some of the great artist music as soon as it dropped on the scene and also go see them live in concert.   Also imagine being able to witness all the advancements in audio equipment from the LP to the 8 track to the cassette, to the CD, etc.   Over the years between me and my brother we've spent quite a bit of money in the Video and Audio hobby.   I once purchased speaker from Chine which had built in tubes just to see what they would sound like.  

All this doesn't make me any kind of audiophile but it does make me an expert in what sound quality I like.  I'm not required to convince anyone else.

Semper Fi

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #1,547 of 1,830
  Well my Pioneer came in a few days ago and I let it burn in for a little bit but I could not live with the sound of this DAP.  For lack of better words, the DAP was to cold in it's presentation of the music and just sounded to digital.   I compared the XDP-100R to my Teac HA-P90SD using my LZ A4 IEMs.   Both players had the same songs and I preferred the warm analog sound of the Teac every time.  I wanted to like the XDP-100 but I just didn't like the way the Sabra DAC sounded.   I had been warned about the sound of Sabra DACs by my brother who is an audiophile and has allot of experience with the sound quality of various DAC chips.

All though the Teac has a wonky UI, I believe the sound quality after a good burn in is top shelf and I'll stick with it.   The XDP-100R has been sent back to NewEgg.

Andre 

Hummm sorry for you about XDP100R.....

I have no Past actually about Analog SOund..... xD
I Tried ONLY Digital Sound (FLAC/Mp3....) with DAP digital (TEAC P90,Fioo X3/X5, IbassoDX80....)
Your Opinion is Interesting.....

But are you try with other Headphone???
Mayt be sound will be Better that P90 TEAC???

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #1,548 of 1,830

OK guys I just put all the explanations there, and honestly do not use king root use damex method witch is much better

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/14040#post_13348012

Thx xD

But Viper works with CPU, so ALL the problem is that....
http://vipersaudio.com/blog/

???

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,550 of 1,830
I'm still Loving mine. I'm waiting for a case to come in from Japan.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,553 of 1,830
I just brought this but I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the equalizer. I can turn the equalizer on but cannot find out how to adjust it... Lol

Drag the play screen up to move to the equalizer screen.

Selecting preset equalizers  Tap "Preset" on the equalizer screen.
        Choice of Flat/11Band/Dance/Jazz/Pop/Rock/Vocal

or Tap "EQ edit".

Drag the points on the equalizer curve side to side to change the frequency and up or down to change the boost.

You can add a new frequency point by tapping on the curve where there isn't a point.

You can move all equalizer points up or down by dragging from a point off the equalizer curve.

If you find a curve you like you can even name and save it.

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,554 of 1,830
I see. Thanks for the help. Seems to work. BTW does anyone know if the DPX1 is better than the xdp-100r in terms of sound quality? I can get one for nearly the same price, but I heard they were the same unless you use the balance mode, which I won't be using.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #1,555 of 1,830
I see. Thanks for the help. Seems to work. BTW does anyone know if the DPX1 is better than the xdp-100r in terms of sound quality? I can get one for nearly the same price, but I heard they were the same unless you use the balance mode, which I won't be using.

​I had someone who had one, tell me at a head-fi meet, that they were basically the same if not running balanced. He tried them both out before buying, but still bought the DPX-1.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #1,557 of 1,830
So I am having a bit of an issue with my Pioneer DAP, the headphone connection does not "click" or connect very well, I have a couple of headphones that will pop out partially if I move the cable around too much. Is there a fix to this or would I probably have to send it off to pioneer to repair?

Thanks,
James

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #1,558 of 1,830
Picked one of these up yesterday for a really good price. As soon as I powered it on and connected to Wifi it prompted me to install a system update which I declined first of all as I thought I would give it a quick test. I put on some Pink Floyd and noticed that I had maxed out the volume straight away, I was totally underwhelmed. This is using my Shure 846 which I believe are very easy to drive. 

I then remembered the system update which I then went ahead and installed. After the update the volume levels have been dramatically increased now which is brilliant. I love being able to stream from Tidal so I'm not limited to what I have on my SD Card. My only concern is going to be the battery.

First impressions though are that this is a fabulous device that hopefully will only get better with updates providing that Pioneer continues the support.

I will now be boxing up the Sony NW35 and returning as the Pioneer is the one I will be keeping :)  

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #1,559 of 1,830
  Picked one of these up yesterday for a really good price. As soon as I powered it on and connected to Wifi it prompted me to install a system update which I declined first of all as I thought I would give it a quick test. I put on some Pink Floyd and noticed that I had maxed out the volume straight away, I was totally underwhelmed. This is using my Shure 846 which I believe are very easy to drive. 

I then remembered the system update which I then went ahead and installed. After the update the volume levels have been dramatically increased now which is brilliant. I love being able to stream from Tidal so I'm not limited to what I have on my SD Card. My only concern is going to be the battery.

First impressions though are that this is a fabulous device that hopefully will only get better with updates providing that Pioneer continues the support.

I will now be boxing up the Sony NW35 and returning as the Pioneer is the one I will be keeping :)  

There is a volume gain setting in the system settings as well which you should check.  I'm sure there's even more headroom to be had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back