Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Jul 5, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #916 of 2,535
my 2017 Honda Accord (tells me it's not compatible). Kind of sad, as the car has eliminated the wired "aux" connection (the dealer tells me some cars are eliminating the CD player, as most people listen streaming from their phones. Man...).

You might need one of those Honda adapters that plug into the back of the head unit to give you an Aux connection

http://www.dhgate.com/product/car-a...t-cable/396084813.html#s1-10-1;disc|721227590

honda adapter.jpg

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #917 of 2,535
You could be right... The dealer told me it couldn't be done on my car (and he called a stereo installation shop), but it's possible they don't know what they're talking about. But... I certainly couldn't install such a thing...

Jul 6, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #918 of 2,535
But... I certainly couldn't install such a thing...

You would have to be comfortable pulling the head unit out of the dash, because all the connectors are on the back.

It sucks they don't just give you a port; my new Ford has 2 Aux-in ports (one is hidden under the arm rest with an additional USB port).

1. You could see if a newer version of the audio system software is available, it could fix the incompatibility. Don't trust the dealer (they always say no), search for it yourself.

2. You could get a new head unit. This would give you much better sound, read FLAC audio files from SDcards or USB, AUX ins, constant software updates to maintain compatibility, dedicated Apple and Android USB inputs, your phone's maps and GPS on the screen.....a lot of stuff for little money.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #920 of 2,535
You would have to be comfortable pulling the head unit out of the dash, because all the connectors are on the back.

It sucks they don't just give you a port; my new Ford has 2 Aux-in ports (one is hidden under the arm rest with an additional USB port).

1. You could see if a newer version of the audio system software is available, it could fix the incompatibility. Don't trust the dealer (they always say no), search for it yourself.

2. You could get a new head unit. This would give you much better sound, read FLAC audio files from SDcards or USB, AUX ins, constant software updates to maintain compatibility, dedicated Apple and Android USB inputs, your phone's maps and GPS on the screen.....a lot of stuff for little money.

The problem now is that the radio/head unit isn't just a radio/CD player, it is a control center. The screen gives options to many things, has the reverse camera picture, GPS (if you have it installed), etc. Getting a different unit loses a lot of functionality in the car...

Does anyone know if this can be used as a USB DAC?

According to the manual, it is supposed to be able to be used usb out, though I'm not sure if that uses the internal dac and skips the amp, or sends the digital signal out to an external dac. I don't see any mention of input that would allow it to be used as an external dac, but I could be wrong. (in continuing my ongoing woes with the unit, I tried the usb into the car to see if I can at least use the Pioneer that way, and the car said, "unsupported"). And, despite shutting of any service I could find, I charged it, turned it off, then turned it on 2 days later and it was all out of battery. Battery life, at least for me, seems pretty poor...

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #921 of 2,535
And, despite shutting of any service I could find, I charged it, turned it off, then turned it on 2 days later and it was all out of battery. Battery life, at least for me, seems pretty poor...

Remember that the unit is still running when **off**, unless you:

Press the Power button, wait for the box to pop up that asks "Power off?" and then tap the box.

The cursor will spin while it says "Powering Off" for about 5 seconds.

Every time my GF uses my 300r, it will be stone-dead, because she can't learn how to shut it off, lol.

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #922 of 2,535
Remember that the unit is still running when **off**, unless you:

Press the Power button, wait for the box to pop up that asks "Power off?" and then tap the box.

The cursor will spin while it says "Powering Off" for about 5 seconds.

Every time my GF uses my 300r, it will be stone-dead, because she can't learn how to shut it off, lol.
UI 6

I know, I wait for the prompt across the middle of the screen asking if I want to shut down, press it, the dap shuts off, then it's dead when I want to use it in a day or 2,even if I've got charged it before turning it off. I like the sound of this Pioneer, really want to love it, bit I have so many usability issues with it.

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #923 of 2,535
According to the manual, it is supposed to be able to be used usb out, though I'm not sure if that uses the internal dac and skips the amp, or sends the digital signal out to an external dac. I don't see any mention of input that would allow it to be used as an external dac, but I could be wrong. (in continuing my ongoing woes with the unit, I tried the usb into the car to see if I can at least use the Pioneer that way, and the car said, "unsupported"). And, despite shutting of any service I could find, I charged it, turned it off, then turned it on 2 days later and it was all out of battery. Battery life, at least for me, seems pretty poor...

I meant using it as a USB DAC. Pretty sure it can already output a digital signal into another dac or unit.

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #924 of 2,535
What's the real world battery life on these? It's quoted to be 16 hours but considering the paltry 1630mAh battery, I doubt it'll even get close to the quoted when something like the Fiio X5iii can barely reach 12 hours even with a 3700mAh battery, and the Kann being on par with quoted batt life but having a battery nearly 4 times larger at 6300mAh

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #926 of 2,535
I know, I wait for the prompt across the middle of the screen asking if I want to shut down, press it, the dap shuts off, then it's dead when I want to use it in a day or 2,even if I've got charged it before turning it off. I like the sound of this Pioneer, really want to love it, bit I have so many usability issues with it.

It's certainly possible that you have a defective unit.

I wish I knew how to open them up, because we could do a real life battery test and measure it's capacity.

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #928 of 2,535
I was using it while biking today... Battery ran most of the way down after about 2 hours of random play, the estimate would have been about 4 hours if I kept driving it. That's using Neutron, with all non essential services shut off. Not terribly good. It was fine sounding and I enjoyed the music, though...

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #929 of 2,535
I was using it while biking today... Battery ran most of the way down after about 2 hours of random play, the estimate would have been about 4 hours if I kept driving it. That's using Neutron, with all non essential services shut off. Not terribly good. It was fine sounding and I enjoyed the music, though...
Were you using balanced or single ended out?

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #930 of 2,535
Single ended, haven't gotten a balanced cable that works for it. It actually wasn't freshly charged, but was at 90%+ before I went out biking. It was around 20-25% when I finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back