Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Jun 13, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #242 of 1,608
I don't have any balanced headphone cables or amps. Sorry that I wasn't any help.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #243 of 1,608
Just a quick question. Being a non-android UI, how does it handle playlists; specifically, M3U/M3U8? I really like the footprint of these players and think they would be a great single device and/or transport for my Mojo when they get updated.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #244 of 1,608
Mine was delivered. It is good for the price I paid around usd240 but not sure not worth usd350 Hong Kong retailers charging for it. For USD350, it needs a better screen to be worth it.

Btw, Samsung evo+ 128G works fine with it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #248 of 1,608
Ya that and the Pioneer are actually kinda cheap on Amazon.co.jp atm.

I find the DP-S1 to be everything I wanted for the most part. The best part is the speed of the UI and tweakable sound.

I thought the small screen would bother me but I'm glad for the big border above the screen. While I enjoy it's sound solo, I plan on sticking an amp under it most of the time. The big border above the screen is the perfect width of a thick rubber band for stacking. This makes the extremely small DP-S1 a perfect transport since it can hold 2 256 gb micro SD cards.

If only it could do offline Tidal but nothing is perfect.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #251 of 1,608
How does this Rubato comparing to bigger brother DP-X1A from sound to battery life?

If sound as as good, I will most likely choose the Rubato due to smaller footprint.

Btw have anyone used the Onkyo DAP cotroller app?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #252 of 1,608
How does this Rubato comparing to bigger brother DP-X1A from sound to battery life?

If sound as as good, I will most likely choose the Rubato due to smaller footprint.

Btw have anyone used the Onkyo DAP cotroller app?[/QUYou w

You don't really expect the Rubato to sound as good as the DP-X1A do you........The soundstage of the bigger bro is quite noticeably more expansive and overall the sound is a tad more lively with a bit stronger bass impact and transcients (though close). But other than that the other technical capabilities are almost identical (resolving power, details, dynamic range, clean and flat response etc). Battery life seems to be favourably comparable but I almost never drain the battery so may not give the best account in that.

The advantages of the Rubato, besides the smaller footprint, is the much better UI (simpler BUT much better AS A DAP), weight (obviously), and a somehow better single end output quality that "almost" equals the balance out (the single end output of the DP-X1A is marginally forgettable). The different between the balanced mode and the ACG mode is also quite a bit more noticeable, the former being more powerful and impactful while the latter being cleaner with a quieter background. Such difference seems less noticeable in the DP-X1A.

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #253 of 1,608
You don't really expect the Rubato to sound as good as the DP-X1A do you........The soundstage of the bigger bro is quite noticeably more expansive and overall the sound is a tad more lively with a bit stronger bass impact and transcients (though close). But other than that the other technical capabilities are almost identical (resolving power, details, dynamic range, clean and flat response etc). Battery life seems to be favourably comparable but I almost never drain the battery so may not give the best account in that.

The advantages of the Rubato, besides the smaller footprint, is the much better UI (simpler BUT much better AS A DAP), weight (obviously), and a somehow better single end output quality that "almost" equals the balance out (the single end output of the DP-X1A is marginally forgettable). The different between the balanced mode and the ACG mode is also quite a bit more noticeable, the former being more powerful and impactful while the latter being cleaner with a quieter background. Such difference seems less noticeable in the DP-X1A.

More like expecting it to be closely match. By the sound of it seems like it match my expectation.

Reason I have been holding back from getting DP-X1A is due to its size and heard that battery life not that good.

As for power is not important anyway, I am using K10U

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #254 of 1,608
More like expecting it to be closely match. By the sound of it seems like it match my expectation.

Reason I have been holding back from getting DP-X1A is due to its size and heard that battery life not that good.

As for power is not important anyway, I am using K10U

For me, DP-S1 battery life is not as good as my XDP-300R, which battery life should be identical to DP-X1A.
But the price of S1 is more cheaper than X1A, and the smaller size, I will choose S1

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #255 of 1,608
For me, DP-S1 battery life is not as good as my XDP-300R, which battery life should be identical to DP-X1A.
But the price of S1 is more cheaper than X1A, and the smaller size, I will choose S1

As long as battery life can last around 10hours (on flac) will do for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back