Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Apr 15, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #8,986 of 10,664
Hi, would appreciate your help here, I own a 80gb 5.5, very pleased with sound quality but it is time for adding couple notches:
Which media expansion should I go for?, SD or compact flash? I'm planing to go with the Iflash stuff.
Should I do the capacitor bypass offered from them too? (Diymod)
Which iems would be your better pick considering no external amp?
Thanks!!

I absolutely endorse the DIYmod.  It takes some ninja soldering skills but I managed to get it first try in like 5 minutes.  I was really shocked how well it cleaned up the the sound through the line out.    

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #8,988 of 10,664
Hi all, I've been around for a while now but this is my first post now I've built myself a few different iPods for myself and a few friends and now I've been asked to mod a 5.5 u2 30gb classic, it needs to be at least 256gb so was thinking a 256gb sdxc card (as I already have a spare) along with a tarkan single sd adaptor, but I was wondering if this will work ok with iTunes using the 30gb logic board if the iPod is full or nearly full of music? Thanks for your time.

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #8,989 of 10,664
It will be really slow with anything above 64gb capacity since the 30gb iPod Videos only have 32mb of ram. The Menu will be sluggish. Accessing Artists and Songs may take 5-10 seconds. Accessing a playlist with more than 30,000 tracks (such as if you accessed All Songs in Menu and it listed all tracks in one list) will result in the iPod freezing and then rebooting by itself.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #8,990 of 10,664
Thanks for that, so think I may think again and find a newer pod, I've gotta 7th Gen 512gb again using a tarkan dual adaptor and although it's not full of music it is getting there and it's never given me a problem although I don't use iTunes with it, so I just assumed all iPod classics would work the same but I guess not, so thanks again.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #8,994 of 10,664
I am wondering if anyone has successfully put an ssd or sd card into a first or second generation ipod. I've heard it is "almost impossible" instead of impossible so I keep my hopes up.

Also, I am wondering if anyone here still uses the original first or second generation iPod these days?

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #8,995 of 10,664
  I am wondering if anyone has successfully put an ssd or sd card into a first or second generation ipod. I've heard it is "almost impossible" instead of impossible so I keep my hopes up.

Also, I am wondering if anyone here still uses the original first or second generation iPod these days?

Those iPods have FireWire only, so it does not play nice with the Flash adapters.   Also, maybe possible that their hard drives are running some type of firmware on them.  

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #8,996 of 10,664

Those iPods have FireWire only, so it does not play nice with the Flash adapters.   Also, maybe possible that their hard drives are running some type of firmware on them.  

I recall reading somewhere that switching between 2nd generation hard drive and 4th generation hard drive works for both models.

The website below shows how almost all hard drives are interchangeable when they are old school hdd.

https://command-tab.com/2007/03/11/upgrading-ipod-hard-drives/

I don't know why the firewire limits the possibility of using the Flash adapters. I'm really hoping someone figured out all problems and hasn't posted the information up yet because no one seemed interested. 

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #8,997 of 10,664
Can somebody recomend a High Capacity Battery replacement for my iPod?

I bought one and it would not fit properly. The headphone jack was the problem.

I have a Gen 5 Classic with an iFlash Dual SD card in place of the old HD.

It already has a thick back.

Apr 29, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #8,998 of 10,664
Can somebody recomend a High Capacity Battery replacement for my iPod?

I bought one and it would not fit properly. The headphone jack was the problem.

I have a Gen 5 Classic with an iFlash Dual SD card in place of the old HD.

It already has a thick back.

Which did you buy? Are you sure you are fitting it correctly? When this has come up before it's been because the poster hadn't worked out how to fit the battery. Unless it's the 2600 square, fat one (which is a special case), I don't know of any battery with the correct ribbon connector that won't fit with a thick case.
The ones discussed on Tarkan's site (1900,2000,3000) all fit. Is yours not one of those?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #8,999 of 10,664
I'm having an issue with a 128gb SDXC 5th gen video. I've restored and added music to it fine. But after a while when I switched it on it was asking to be restored again. I plugged it in and there was no need to do so. Happened AGAIN and now my pc won't recognise the iPod either on iTunes or my computer.

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #9,000 of 10,664
I'm having an issue with a 128gb SDXC 5th gen video. I've restored and added music to it fine. But after a while when I switched it on it was asking to be restored again. I plugged it in and there was no need to do so. Happened AGAIN and now my pc won't recognise the iPod either on iTunes or my computer.
Did you install a new battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back