Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Sep 29, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #1,666 of 10,664
After I put some tapes and insulated the soldered joints, the modded battery actually worked for a while. But only for a little while then it stopped working. I don't know the reason, maybe the battery didn't sit well inside and the cable got damaged. But this is encouraging b/c I know now it works. One thing to be noted is this battery won't fit with the Tarkan mod and caps. If you have drive thickness same as the stock 30GB HDD, then it will fit with a fat back plate.

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #1,667 of 10,664
After I put some tapes and insulated the soldered joints, the modded battery actually worked for a while. But only for a little while then it stopped working. I don't know the reason, maybe the battery didn't sit well inside and the cable got damaged. But this is encouraging b/c I know now it works. One thing to be noted is this battery won't fit with the Tarkan mod and caps. If you have drive thickness same as the stock 30GB HDD, then it will fit with a fat back plate.

Too bad though, what else can you do to make it work, by the way what were the different voltages out of the battery leads?

Just curious to see how they split the voltage, somehow I would have assumed positive and negative but 4 wires?

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #1,669 of 10,664
The measured voltage is around 3.9 volts and the rated is 3.7 volts. Only two wires.

I thought I saw two large traces and two thin traces out of the battery wire and if you look on the connector, there are four leads, maybe it's the same but split in half? I was looking to see how the recharge and discharge works on those but the info is pretty thin.

See below be careful :D

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,670 of 10,664
I thought I saw two large traces and two thin traces out of the battery wire and if you look on the connector, there are four leads, maybe it's the same but split in half? I was looking to see how the recharge and discharge works on those but the info is pretty thin.

See below be careful
biggrin.gif

The battery has only 2 leads connected to the stock cable. So after I desoldered the stock cable, I was able to solder the 2 leads to the cable for the ipod video battery.

Yeah Need to be careful with any battery. I always wrap the exposed lead before I work on the other, and make sure they won't have any chance touching each other.

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,671 of 10,664
Hello guys, i am new here,

-I have two question is possible to put an ssd hd 2.5 with an adapter 2.5 to 1.8 in an ipod classic  7th or 6th (i have both 7th 160gb and 6th 80gb)

-Is possible to add an internal bluetooth to those ipods.

thanks

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,677 of 10,664
Hey guys :) just joined the forum, i picked up two 5g ipod video (30gb) and was wondering what hard drive upgrades will work? 

For one i ordered the tarkan zif compact flash adapter, and the other i wanted to put a 160gb/120gb drive into it. From a few threads i read around the internet, not all 5mm drives that are compatible with the 5.5g will work with the 5g (not sure if thats true or not) and that the biggest drive for the 5g is a samsung 120gb? 

The two drives i was looking at are: Samsung HS12YHA (120gb) and the Toshiba MK1634GAL (160gb). 

Not really sure where to go from here 
redface.gif

Thanks for the help! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,678 of 10,664
  Hey guys :) just joined the forum, i picked up two 5g ipod video (30gb) and was wondering what hard drive upgrades will work? 

For one i ordered the tarkan zif compact flash adapter, and the other i wanted to put a 160gb/120gb drive into it. From a few threads i read around the internet, not all 5mm drives that are compatible with the 5.5g will work with the 5g (not sure if thats true or not) and that the biggest drive for the 5g is a samsung 120gb? 

The two drives i was looking at are: Samsung HS12YHA (120gb) and the Toshiba MK1634GAL (160gb). 

Not really sure where to go from here 
redface.gif

Thanks for the help! 
biggrin.gif

I have used the MK1634GAL on both the 5.5th and the 5th gen iPods and they worked just great with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back