New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
May 9, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #152 of 2,616
New Picture shows the Aluminum Model ! Very cool.

Display is a little difficult to read lettering and control buttons. Can font type, bold, color be changed by user? And can the color of the control buttons (and bolder) be controlled by user? I would vote for anything that improves the readability, and ability to see controls, over being able to see the album cover... Just my opinion... So darkening background/album color when lettering is present might work with white font. If font is Black, brightening the background might help.

This is not a deal breaker for me, as audio quality is #1 ! And Usually I won't even have the screen on when listening to music !

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #153 of 2,616
This is not a deal breaker for me, as audio quality is #1 ! And Usually I won't even have the screen on when listening to music !
+1 I'm sure that Hidizs've done a good job as for the UI polishing but I'm more concerned with the SQ (sound signature, output power, compatibility with IEMs and over the ear headphones) and the functionality that relates to music playback (folder through playback, digital filters selection, USB DAC and USB source features, TCXO availability, etc.). All in all, the market is flooded with Android-based smartphones that are capable of doing most of the things the top-tier DAPs do...Convenience and functionality are great features but for the DAP the SQ is a number one priority, IMHO.
Hidizs, thanks for sharing the new info with us and keep up the great work!)

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #155 of 2,616
Why such an outdated android version? seems counter productive to have modern tech like usb C and apt-x and still have a 3 year old os....

As long as it can produce Great Sound, any operating system is ok with me.

Seems like APTX and USB-c are also about 3 years old. 3.5MM jacks are over 40 years old.... I am older than all of them! :thinking:

May 14, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #156 of 2,616
As long as it can produce Great Sound, any operating system is ok with me.

Seems like APTX and USB-c are also about 3 years old. 3.5MM jacks are over 40 years old.... I am older than all of them! :thinking:
Besides, there seem to be no significant advancements in the Android 6 and no palpable DAP usage-centered advantages over the 5x version. In addition, modern software music players are capable of running even on devices powered by 4x Android version. Just bring the sound on, Hidizs:)

May 14, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #157 of 2,616
Exactly, this DAP is not intended to play the latest video games or to decode the latest video formats. It just utilizes the convenience of Android platform for touch screen and audio interface where thanks to Hiby the OS is optimized for a better performance (including Music only mode), along with bypassing of Sample Rate Conversation (SRC) limitation. And as a bonus you can load some apps for streaming (I assume, since I don't have it in front of me).

May 14, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #159 of 2,616
Only issue you may encounter if Google decides to stop the support of old versions of their Play Services. This will prevent the user purchasing the apps (like third party music player apps like Neutron) from the Play Store. The Cowon Z2 which I have runs on Android Froyo and the Play Services stopped working at sometime last year and I was unable to install the Apps which I already purchased. You can always sideload the apps though if apk is available.

May 14, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #162 of 2,616
:thumbsup:Totally agree. But when you have Android OS in your hands, the temptation will be extremely high to try different player apps as there are plenty of options claiming they do things better. :smiley:

The problem is that the vast, vast majorities of apps are optimized for Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets, but these Android DAPs don't use those chips. This means their custom apps work well / are fine-tuned fit the chipset, but third-party apps have various odd issues. That really frustrates people. So my recommendation is to go into Android DAPs expecting a good customized DAP experience and a sub-par third-party experience. If it exceeds your expectations, that's great. If not, at least your expectations were realistic. If third-party apps are critical for you, I'd suggest looking into one of the various smartphones targeting the audiophile crowd. Just my two cents...

May 16, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #163 of 2,616
The problem is that the vast, vast majorities of apps are optimized for Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets, but these Android DAPs don't use those chips. This means their custom apps work well / are fine-tuned fit the chipset, but third-party apps have various odd issues. That really frustrates people. So my recommendation is to go into Android DAPs expecting a good customized DAP experience and a sub-par third-party experience. If it exceeds your expectations, that's great. If not, at least your expectations were realistic. If third-party apps are critical for you, I'd suggest looking into one of the various smartphones targeting the audiophile crowd. Just my two cents...
Found this on the HIDIZS Facebook Site...

" The AP200, as currently Hidizs’ flagship DAP, offers two modes of operation: Android mode and Pure Music mode.

In Android mode, users are free to install and run any 3rd-party Android apps according to their needs, streaming directly through Spotify, Tidal, Pandora or any other music streaming app and directly listen to an upgraded sound experience through headphones and stereo device.

In pure music mode, only the main music player is available, no other apps run for smoother operation and a purer sound. "

Sounds like a good approach to me !

May 16, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #164 of 2,616
Found this on the HIDIZS Facebook Site...

" The AP200, as currently Hidizs’ flagship DAP, offers two modes of operation: Android mode and Pure Music mode.

In Android mode, users are free to install and run any 3rd-party Android apps according to their needs, streaming directly through Spotify, Tidal, Pandora or any other music streaming app and directly listen to an upgraded sound experience through headphones and stereo device.

In pure music mode, only the main music player is available, no other apps run for smoother operation and a purer sound. "

Sounds like a good approach to me !
Same as FiiO X5iii if I'm not mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back