Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 10, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #17,491 of 63,958
So now that I made improvements to the ZS3, I thought I'd tackle the ZST.

It's one of my least favorite KZ IEMs, due to its shrill ear-piercing treble. It can actually get painful depending on the song I'm listening to, so they've sat unused pretty much since I got them. I figured I'd take a crack at modding them, since I really had nothing to lose.

I thought I would share my findings, since I know there are many others that also dislike the ZST due to its piercing highs.

It dawned on me while doing the ZS3 mod that I could possibly use foam to tune the ZST. However, I didn't want to block any sound from the dynamic driver, so I had to be careful how I went about making changes. I only wanted to address the treble, which meant only tinkering with the BA driver that's mounted right at the nozzle opening.

I stumbled upon a wonderful article from Tyll @ InnerFidelity (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-balanced-armature-receiversdrivers-work). After getting an understanding of how BA drivers work, I saw that some BA drivers are fine tuned through the use of filter material in their tip. Eureka!

Since the foam was the easiest thing to try, I used that 1st. And low and behold it did the trick! The mod is simple, only takes a few minutes, and is completely reversible.

How does it affect the sound? There's still plenty of treble (but the treble is buttery smooth after the mod), and all of the shrillness that was present before is gone. I can listen to the ZST for hours now with no pain or fatigue. And there is no impact on the luscious bass and midrange that the ZST has. This thing went from my 2nd least-favorite KZ IEM to one of my top 5. So if you're one of those people like me that disliked their ZST, give this simple mod a try. You have nothing to lose.

1. You'll need a small piece of open-celled (acoustic) foam. You can get the foam from a number of places:
  • An old foam earbud cover (new is best, not used and crusty)
  • From the inside of an old full-size headphone earpad
  • The foam that protects a lot of items during shipping (mostly electronic and computer products). It's got peaks and valleys arranged like a bunch of pyramids.
  • The "tear off foam cubes" inside of Pelican and other hard cases
  • The foam used for acoustic soundproofing tiles used in sound rooms, recording studios, etc (usually has peaks and valleys arranged like a bunch of pyramids, or sometimes alternating grids of long triangular tube shapes).
  • The small pieces of foam you removed from the plastic tube of the ZS3's nozzle for the "ZS3 Slater Mod"
  • The inside foam from the KZ headphone hard case (which incidentally is the EXACT same foam KZ used inside of the ZS3 LOL). <<This is the foam I used as seen below>>.
When I say you only need a SMALL piece, I mean REALLY SMALL (I trimmed a much-larger-than-needed piece from the corner of my KZ hard case as you can see below):

DSCN0738 - Edited.jpg DSCN0739 - Edited.jpg DSCN0740 - Edited.jpg

2. Now that you have your tiny piece of foam, it's time to cut it down into (2) near-microscopic sized pieces.

You know the writing on the side of the ZST that says "ZST - HIFI Armature"? Cut it to the exact same size as the word "HIFI" written on the side of the shell (same height, same length).

It's important to cut both pieces the same size, or else you may end up with a minor treble imbalance between the 2 sides.

You end up with a ridiculously small piece, like about 1/3 the size of a single grain of rice. Look at it in relationship to the date on a penny and a pencil lead:

DSCN0734 - Edited.jpg DSCN0735 - Edited.jpg

3. Now that you have your foam pieces, take a sewing needle and CAREFULLY pop off the metal screen on the end of the ZST nozzle. Pry it up from an edge, but be very gentle, because the mesh could mangle and deform if you man-handle it with too much forceful poking from the needle. They're held on with a very weak gooey adhesive, and come off easily. Both of my mesh screens came off perfectly with no damage:

DSCN0741 - Edited.jpg DSCN0731 - Edited.jpg

4. Now you'll be able to see the BA driver in the very end of the ZST's plastic nozzle.

At the very end of the BA driver itself is a little 'hole' - that's the BA driver's nozzle, which is where we'll be inserting the foam pieces. Just tuck a little bit of the foam inside the end of the BA driver nozzle using the tweezers (you're only trying to get it started in the hole). Next, take your sewing needle and carefully tuck the rest of the foam down inside of the tip of the BA driver. Don't jam the crap out of it in with the needle or you may damage the BA driver - just tuck it in (using the needle) with barely any pressure and to hardly any depth (we're talking 1-2 millimeters here folks).

It may take a few tries with the tweezers and needle, but it will go in no problem. It will be helpful to have really good eyes (or a magnifying glass) and bright light to illuminate everything. If you have poor close up vision, have someone with good eyes and steady hands help - the opening of the BA driver is barely larger than a "." on a piece of paper!

If you've done it correctly, here's what you'll end up with:

Partially Inserted:
DSCN0736 - Edited.jpg

Partially Inserted Closeup:
DSCN0736 - Edited.jpg

Fully Inserted:

DSCN0737 - Edited.jpg

Fully Inserted Closeup:

DSCN0737 - Edited.jpg

5. Once the foam is fully inserted inside the tip of both BA drivers, take your tweezers & replace the mesh nozzle screens back into the ZST nozzle. The gooey adhesive around the inside edge will keep the mesh screen in place with no additional glue needed. All you have to do is lay the mesh inside the end, make sure it's centered & doesn't overhang any part of the rim of the nozzle, and then gently push on it with your finger to get it to stick securely.

6. Put your ear tips back on, and reinstall the cables (making sure to insert them in the proper direction by paying attention to the rounded vs flat keyway of the plug and socket). If you insert one of both backwards you will end up with phasing issues and/or the plugs be loose and fall off during use. Here's a photo illustrating the correct orientation:
kz-2pin-plug.jpg

That's it; you're all done!

Total time from start to finish is under 10 minutes.

If for whatever reason you don't like the mod, you can easily remove the foam from the BA driver by plucking the foam with the sewing needle and removing it completely with the tweezers.

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Slater

Attachments

• DSCN0730 - Edited.jpg
    DSCN0730 - Edited.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ZSx 2-pin Tip - Edited.jpg
    ZSx 2-pin Tip - Edited.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #17,492 of 63,958
I'm looking for a bluetooth earphone that has a neutral or slightly warm sound. Is the KZ HDSE good for that? Or should I buy a KZ ZST with a bluetooth cable?

nvm.... I skipped the bluetooth part, ATE hasn`t got it.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #17,493 of 63,958
So now that I made improvements to the ZS3, I thought I'd tackle the ZST.

It's one of my least favorite KZ IEMs, due to its shrill ear-piercing treble. It can actually get painful depending on the song I'm listening to, so they've sat unused pretty much since I got them. I figured I'd take a crack at modding them, since I really had nothing to lose.

I thought I would share my findings, since I know there are many others that also dislike the ZST due to its piercing highs.

It dawned on me while doing the ZS3 mod that I could possibly use foam to tune the ZST. However, I didn't want to block any sound from the dynamic driver, so I had to be careful how I went about making changes. I only wanted to address the treble, which meant only tinkering with the BA driver that's mounted right at the nozzle opening.

I stumbled upon a wonderful article from Tyll @ InnerFidelity (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-balanced-armature-receiversdrivers-work). After getting an understanding of how BA drivers work, I saw that some BA drivers are fine tuned through the use of filter material in their tip. Eureka!

Since the foam was the easiest thing to try, I used that 1st. And low and behold it did the trick! The mod is simple, only takes a few minutes, and is completely reversible.

How does it affect the sound? There's still plenty of treble (but the treble is buttery smooth after the mod), and all of the shrillness that was present before is gone. I can listen to the ZST for hours now with no pain or fatigue. And there is no impact on the luscious bass and midrange that the ZST has. This thing went from my 2nd least-favorite KZ IEM to one of my top 5. So if you're one of those people like me that disliked their ZST, give this simple mod a try. You have nothing to lose.

1. You'll need a small piece of open-celled foam. You can get the foam from a number of places:
  • An old foam earbud cover
  • From the inside of an old full-size headphone earpad
  • The foam that protects a lot of items during shipping (mostly electronic and computer products)
  • The "tear off foam cubes" inside of Pelican and other hard cases
  • The pieces of foam you removed from the plastic tube of the ZS3
  • Or use what I did - the inside foam from the KZ headphone hard case (which incidentally is the EXACT same foam KZ used inside of the ZS3 LOL).
When I say you only need a SMALL piece, I mean REALLY SMALL (I trimmed a much-larger-than-needed piece from the corner of my KZ hard case as you can see below):

2. Now that you have your tiny piece of foam, it's time to cut it down into (2) near-microscopic sized pieces. You know the writing on the side of the ZST that says "ZST - HIFI Armature"? Cut it the exact same size as the word "HIFI" (same height, same length). You end up with a ridiculously small piece - look at it in relationship to the date on a penny and a pencil lead:

3. Now that you have your foam pieces, take a sewing needle and CAREFULLY pop off the metal screen on the end of the ZST nozzle. Pry it up from an edge, but be very gentle, because the mesh could mangle and deform if you man-handle it with too much forceful poking from the needle. They're held on with a very weak gooey adhesive, and come off easily. Both of mine came off perfectly with no damage:

4. You'll be able to see the BA driver in the very end of the ZST's plastic nozzle. At the very end of the BA driver itself is a little 'hole' - that's the BA driver's nozzle, which is where we'll be inserting the foam pieces. Just tuck a little bit of the foam inside the end of the BA driver nozzle using the tweezers (you're only trying to get it started). Then, take the sewing needle and carefully stuff the rest of the foam down inside of the tip of the BA driver. Don't jam the crap out of it in with the needle or you may damage the BA driver - just tuck it in (using the needle) with barely any pressure and to hardly any depth (we're dealing with millimeters here folks). It may take a few tries with the tweezers and needle, but it will go in no problem. It will be helpful to have really good eyes (or a magnifying glass) and bright light to illuminate everything. If you are blind as a bat, have someone with good eyes and steady hands help - the opening of the BA driver is barely larger than a "." on a piece of paper!

This is what you'll end up with (1st photo shows the foam partially sticking out, 2nd photo is with foam fully stuffed inside):

5. Once the foam is stuffed fully inside the tip of both BA drivers, take your tweezers & replace the mesh screens back into the ZST nozzle ends. The gooey adhesive around the inside edge will keep the mesh screen in place. All you have to do is lay the mesh inside the end, make sure it's centered & doesn't overhang any part of the rim of the nozzle, and then gently push on it with your finger to get it to stick securely.

6. Put your ear tips back on, and reinstall the cables (making sure to insert them in the proper direction by paying attention to the rounded side of the cable plug). See my crude illustration if you have no clue what the 'rounded side' refers to:

That's it; you're all done!

Total time from start to finish is under 10 minutes.

If for whatever reason you don't like the mod (maybe you like bleeding from your ears due to the shrill treble), you can easily remove the foam from the BA driver by plucking the foam with the sewing needle and removing it completely with the tweezers.

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Slater

Thanks for trying out the mod but I think with such tiny pieces and different foam material density, it is hard to get consistent results for different users. Better to order BA dampers from AE or somewhere else and try them out.

May 10, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #17,494 of 63,958
Thanks for trying out the mod but I think with such tiny pieces and different foam material density, it is hard to get consistent results for different users. Better to order BA dampers from AE or somewhere else and try them out.

True, but unfortunately there's not enough room for a damper. The nozzle of the BA driver is almost directly against the mesh screen.

Also, the KZ hard case can be ordered from a number of sources for a little over $1, providing the exact same foam I used (as well as giving an excellent case to store the ZST in). And if one trims the foam using the word HIFI as a guide (which is a consistent measuring guide between all of our ZSTs), then the results will basically be the same as mine (or at least very very close).

May 10, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #17,495 of 63,958
I do prefer smoothness whenever I'm listening to lower quality audio, because it's very forgiving - the Rock Zircon and VJJB K4 are the smoothest in-ears I have. I can listen to 128kbps mp3 and they sound really good. But there's no detail or clarity.

Absolutely! The more resolving the phone, the worse bad quality files sound. I think that's a mistake a lot of people make, thinking better phones will make poor recordings sound better. Usually it's quite the opposite.

May 10, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #17,496 of 63,958
GearBest is doing a KZ flash sale today for the ZST and ZS3.

Gearbest Brands Flash Sale promotion link: http://www.gearbest.com/flash-sale.html

1. KZ ZST Dynamic HiFi Bass Music Sport In Ear Stereo Earphones - BLACK

http://www.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-ear-headphones/pp_533515.html

9.99$ for Flash Sale

1475563160893270.jpg

2. KZ ZST Wired On-cord Control In Ear Earphones - ON-CORD

http://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_598798.html

9.99$ for Flash Sale

1491894831885198.jpg

3. KZ ZS3 Detachable Design HiFi In Ear Stereo Earphones

http://www.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-ear-headphones/pp_436717.html

5.99$ for Flash Sale

1471344879319537.jpg

Seek MORE about KZ: http://www.gearbest.com/top-brands/kz/97.html

Gearbest Brands Flash Sale promotion: http://www.gearbest.com/flash-sale.html

May 10, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #17,497 of 63,958
GearBest is doing a KZ flash sale today for the ZST and ZS3.

$5.99 for the ZS3 is a great deal. Do the foam mod & you have a very capable, comfortable, and great sounding IEM, especially for bass heads.

May 10, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #17,498 of 63,958
That modification makes all the difference in the world - it made the ZST finally (really really) enjoyable for me. i can highly recommend to try it as well, be careful though - i went through a series of unfortunate events during the mod:

everything fine at first - left side seemed a litte more quiet - so i went through the steps again, but it was difficult to remove to foam in the BA at first. next it was somewhat harder to get it in again and i pushed a litte too much and pushed the BA (way) further into the housing (not in the nozzle anymore - no difference in sound though). so far so good. next i had a loose connection on the left side - one of the female 2pin connectors was missing. it turned out it was pushed into the housing of ne earpiece when i opened it. the 2-pin-connector was damaged when i opened it and i had to glue it together again. next the outer shell of the housing could not be simply put on again as it wouldn't really fit. so i had to glue it on as well. it looks terrible if you look closely but it works...

as of now i really enjoy the "new" tuned ZST sound. no sharp treble at all. it actually sounds like a different IEM. i still have to listen some more. At least i can use my ZSTs now...

May 10, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #17,499 of 63,958
That modification makes all the difference in the world - it made the ZST finally (really really) enjoyable for me. i can highly recommend to try it as well, be careful though - i went through a series of unfortunate events during the mod:

everything fine at first - left side seemed a litte more quiet - so i went through the steps again, but it was difficult to remove to foam in the BA at first. next it was somewhat harder to get it in again and i pushed a litte too much and pushed the BA (way) further into the housing (not in the nozzle anymore - no difference in sound though). so far so good. next i had a loose connection on the left side - one of the female 2pin connectors was missing. it turned out it was pushed into the housing of ne earpiece when i opened it. the 2-pin-connector was damaged when i opened it and i had to glue it together again. next the outer shell of the housing could not be simply put on again as it wouldn't really fit. so i had to glue it on as well. it looks terrible if you look closely but it works...

as of now i really enjoy the "new" tuned ZST sound. no sharp treble at all. it actually sounds like a different IEM. i still have to listen some more. At least i can use my ZSTs now...

Wow, that sounds like quite the adventure. Glad you got it done though, & thanks for reporting in with your impressions. For those of us that disliked the ZST, it turns it into a really enjoyable & easy to listen to earphone.

What foam did you end up using for the mod?

Any changes I should make to my guide to make it easier to follow or reduce the chances of any problems? I think the hardest part is just how small everything is, but there's nothing that can be done about that. Also making sure that you have the right tools (namely a sewing needle and really fine pointy tweezers - really no way around that).

May 10, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #17,500 of 63,958
    • Darn Slater you and some peeps must have gotten a bad copy. I'm not getting anything like the ED9 bronze one. It's a Very Very Neutral sound with the original tips they came with. If you wanna hear piercing sound you gotta hear those Joyroom I ordered. I'm guessing there were a couple of version of the ZST? Dang I Forget haha how good these are since acquiring those other phones I love.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #17,501 of 63,958
Darn Slater you and some peeps must have gotten a bad copy. I'm not getting anything like the ED9 bronze one. It's a Very Very Neutral sound with the original tips they came with.

I don't think it's a QC issue. There's just too many people that dislike the highs on the ZST. I just think it's the particular BA driver that some people are overly sensitive to, because everyone's ears are different. Luckily, the fix is easy enough to perform.

May 10, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #17,503 of 63,958
I don't think it's a QC issue. There's just too many people that dislike the highs on the ZST. I just think it's the particular BA driver that some people are overly sensitive to, because everyone's ears are different. Luckily, the fix is easy enough to perform.
Not sure I'm sensitive with treble and my ZST have nothing fatiguing about them. I'm shocked so many people have issues and glad you're helping them out. I certainly love the ZS3 NOW. Bravisimo slater.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #17,504 of 63,958
the $5.99 zs3 units went (too) quick from the flashsale.
i ordered a $9.99 colorful zst though, thinking i'd compare it to my original, and then try modding one of them.
I was planning to pick up a spare ZS3. 5.99 was a crazy price. Went so fast though, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back