HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 23, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #19,906 of 21,867
Seems like these are getting harder and harder to buy or find. Saw one up a few days ago and sold within a few minutes. Can't wait for mine to come tomorrow. Also, If any of you guys watch Z reviews, He will release a review of them sometime. He said they're not that good according to what he said on Patreon lol.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #19,907 of 21,867
  The Panache is 100W into 8 ohms.
The Panache is 100W into 8 ohms. Would it be a problem even if I kept the volume knob at zero and slowly experimented from there? These are what the speaker taps look like. I confess I'm not familiar with the variety of ways one connects wires directly to speaker taps. I've heard of banana plugs, but I'm not sure what the other methods are, or indeed which one the Panache uses. I recall someone once said that the HE adaptor was for tube amps, not solid state amps. Not sure whether that's true.

The HE Adapter has Series and Parallel resistors to prevent the load from the amp blowing up your headphones or viseversa, and yea this is especially a requirement if you are using anything over the recommended maximum from the manual, or Tube Amps (i dont know the technical reason cause i dont know schiit about tubes, but you just do.). I had an SMSL SA98e before i had my Bryston, which was 75w and i had to be careful with the knob on even that one, and that was less than yours. I mean you can just not have an HE-Adapter, and go straight into the back resistor free but thats kinda risky imo.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #19,908 of 21,867
Z Reviews are usually ****.  He just talks about whether it fits his personal preference, and he has limited gear to make the HE-6 shine.  

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #19,909 of 21,867
  Seems like these are getting harder and harder to buy or find. Saw one up a few days ago and sold within a few minutes. Can't wait for mine to come tomorrow. Also, If any of you guys watch Z reviews, He will release a review of them sometime. He said they're not that good according to what he said on Patreon lol.

I dont think he has ever said that. I am on his Telegram, and he said they were OKAY until he posted a photo of them using the he6s on his Phase Linear Series-500 amp. He said they're pretty easy enjoy after that. I really want him to try it on his father's Spec 2, but he needs to have it fixed before he does that.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #19,911 of 21,867
The Panache is 100W into 8 ohms.
The Panache is 100W into 8 ohms. Would it be a problem even if I kept the volume knob at zero and slowly experimented from there? These are what the speaker taps look like. I confess I'm not familiar with the variety of ways one connects wires directly to speaker taps. I've heard of banana plugs, but I'm not sure what the other methods are, or indeed which one the Panache uses. I recall someone once said that the HE adaptor was for tube amps, not solid state amps. Not sure whether that's true.

If you go direct, you should make sure the two sets of bananas will reach across the back of that amp. They look pretty far apart - 12"? If you check with the cable maker, they can probably adjust this for you.

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #19,912 of 21,867
  The dude literally has stacks of Amps.

I used to listen to them out of my Spec 2 power amp, same as his fathers, and it was pretty good, but not much better than Liquid Carbon or Jot.  It did have far better head room but I'm talking about amps that truly make them shine such as First Watt and high power tube amps.  

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #19,913 of 21,867
Is there any problem leaving the banana plug to XLR cable plugged into the amp but not connected to headphones while I'm using other headphones out of the 1/4 inch jack on the front?

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #19,914 of 21,867
  I dont think he has ever said that. I am on his Telegram, and he said they were OKAY until he posted a photo of them using the he6s on his Phase Linear 300 amp. He said they're pretty easy enjoy after that. I really want him to try it on his father's Spec 2, but he needs to have it fixed before he does that.

On his Patreon he said that the review is neither glowing positive or negative. I'll wait on the review though. I like him though he is entertaining to watch much more than other reviewers who I think are too stiff. He lets it all out there without biting his tongue. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #19,915 of 21,867
There's no question he likes a darker, warmer sound, but I think he sees the fact that there is no such thing as an objective review. I don't give a schiit how sound measures objectively; I care how it sounds subjectively to my ears. To this end, everyone else's impressions are inherently incomplete, and possess at best limited explanatory power for my own ultimate preferences. Herd mentality might be a thing though. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #19,916 of 21,867
  There's no question he likes a darker, warmer sound, but I think he sees the fact that there is no such thing as an objective review. I don't give a schiit how sound measures objectively; I care how it sounds subjectively to my ears. To this end, everyone else's impressions are inherently incomplete, and possess at best limited explanatory power for my own ultimate preferences. Herd mentality might be a thing though. 

Ya I like that he doesn't let price for the most part cloud his judgement on certain things or graphs. He just listens to his ears because at the end of the day it's what matters. I wonder why other bigger audio equipment makers aren't giving him stuff to test since he is pretty big on Youtube maybe it's fear that he might meh their products lol. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #19,917 of 21,867
  I used to listen to them out of my Spec 2 power amp, same as his fathers, and it was pretty good, but not much better than Liquid Carbon or Jot.  It did have far better head room but I'm talking about amps that truly make them shine such as First Watt and high power tube amps.  

What about the Phase Linear Series-400? He has one of those too, which looks pretty good.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #19,918 of 21,867
  Is there any problem leaving the banana plug to XLR cable plugged into the amp but not connected to headphones while I'm using other headphones out of the 1/4 inch jack on the front?

It should be fine. Some Amplifiers have relays to switch between front and back inputs depending if there is a headphone in it or not, some have both playing at the same time which is really annoying and pointless, and some have their rights and lefts wired backwards on the front (which annoyingly my Bryston is). Probably should figure out if the headphone out is safe or not with normal headphones, cause some older amps literally have no resistors in its headphone output.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #19,919 of 21,867
The reviews when it came out (2002) cited HD600 and some Grado cans as being fine out of the quarter inch, though I am naturally going to be careful. Can't wait to a/b against Mjolnir 2 (I assume unfavorably for Mr Stoddard, though I hope not).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back