HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 29, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #19,936 of 21,868
There could easily be a hair in there causing problems. You can blow real lightly on the driver to try and push it out or move it of the diaphragm. Make sure you counter twist the SMC connectors before attaching them so they don't unwind themselves. I never had an issue but you could have a bad cable/connector.

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #19,937 of 21,868
Via the Panache (1/4 inch output, though I believe the phones jack is no different from the speaker taps) I'm leaving the volume at about 12:30 for most listening. I've turned it all the way up just once, for the opening of the prelude to Das Rheingold, and the double basses were just beyond words. I'm very happy with the amp, and looking forward to getting the speaker taps-to-4-pin XLR cable so that I can use my K1000 on it as well. Finally, an amp that can adequately drive my hardest to drive headphones!

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #19,938 of 21,868
There could easily be a hair in there causing problems. You can blow real lightly on the driver to try and push it out or move it of the diaphragm. Make sure you counter twist the SMC connectors before attaching them so they don't unwind themselves. I never had an issue but you could have a bad cable/connector.

I got some hair out (even a copper wire of all things; very tiny). Still does it.

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #19,940 of 21,868
There could still be something in there. Otherwise, I would RMA them if you bought new.
wait would it be my amps or Cables that is making my headphones lose control to do that? Keep in mind i am not able to hook my HE6 to my power amp atm

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #19,942 of 21,868
Buzzing is often a piece of hair or dirt on the driver... you can try very gently blowing some air to clean things out.

Does it happen at all frequencies during the sweep or only specific spots?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #19,943 of 21,868
Buzzing is often a piece of hair or dirt on the driver... you can try very gently blowing some air to clean things out.

Does it happen at all frequencies during the sweep or only specific spots?

between 20-1000. I tried removing all hairs/dirt from the pad, and the grill, but it still buzzes even with a pure sine wave and the pad off. I hope the diaphragm isnt wrinkled or some hoopla. Also the one side that worked on the stock cable failed. Not even 3 days and the stock cable failed. Ive read on reddit that same problem with Grados just went away after a while. Maybe i will get lucky; i have a 2 week wait on a new cable after all.... *sigh*

May 1, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #19,944 of 21,868
between 20-1000. I tried removing all hairs/dirt from the pad, and the grill, but it still buzzes even with a pure sine wave and the pad off. I hope the diaphragm isnt wrinkled or some hoopla. Also the one side that worked on the stock cable failed. Not even 3 days and the stock cable failed. Ive read on reddit that same problem with Grados just went away after a while. Maybe i will get lucky; i have a 2 week wait on a new cable after all.... *sigh*

It's sounds like an issue with the driver to me. I would drop HiFiMan a line to see what they think.

May 2, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #19,945 of 21,868
I can't get over the bass response when you have a power amp. The bass strings in the Kleiber studio Tristan prelude are so palpable, so lifelike. Yet crisp and tight. The sound is startlingly lifelike. So good. I am indeed put in front even of the conductor — I feel more like a prompter, right up onstage with Isolde — but the intimate soundstage is worth the sound.

May 2, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #19,946 of 21,868
@Jozurr sent me the MrSpeakers E Stat pads to measure and evaluate. They do have excellent transient response and clarity. They don't sound as bad as they measure but it's not for me.

Here is the frequency response of the MrSpeakers E Stat pads on a stock HE-6:

9933021_l.png

Impulse Response (very dynamic and clean):

9933020_l.png

CSD (very clean with quick decay)

9933019_l.png

Spectrogram:

9933018_l.png

E Stat pads vs Stock Pleather pads (I prefer the stock pleather pads between the two):

9933017_l.png

Red=MrSpeakers E Stat pads, Green=Dekoni Elite Sheepskin for DT Series pads, Yellow=MrSpeakers Ether C pads:

9933016_l.png

Long story short, I personally don't care for the E Stat pads. They have too much of a suckout in the crucial 2-6kHz region where a lot of harmonics and tonal richness is. Guitars don't have bite, stringed instruments sound dead, and vocals are pushed back, although not as much. The slight angle doesn't seem to affect imaging that much since the pad opening is so large. I much prefer the Ether C pads or Dekoni pads.

Ether C pads are great and the slight angle does make a difference since the hole is smaller and closer to ear shape. They have a very natural sound that seems to play out slightly more in front of you. The Dekoni pads are also excellent and are more focused sounding since the ear openings are smaller and smoother. Overall they are close to the Ether C pads but might sound tighter with better quality bass, although quantity is less.

Thanks to @Jozurr for sending the pads for measurements and evaluation.

May 8, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #19,947 of 21,868
May 8, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #19,948 of 21,868
Hey guys,

Please may I have your advise?

Tomorrow (all going well) the front door bell will ring and a delivery driver will hand me a box containing an HE-6 :grin:

Included in the box is a cable that will allow me to connect the HE-6 to the speaker taps of my old Arcam AVR 350. In Direct (2 Channel) Mode the Arcam will push 120W into 8ohms.

After reading up (here in this thread and the HE-6 dedicated amp thread) I'm 99% certain I can connect my HE-6 directly to the Arcam's speaker taps and as long as I'm mindful of the volume control (my DAC also has volume control) the HE-6 will suffer no ill effects.

Is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back