Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Jun 11, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #3,976 of 4,142
Also, saw a Frequancy graph with the HE 4 HE 560 and Susvara listed and... well the basically all have the same shape... the HE 4 being the coldest, the HE 560 a little warmer and the Susvara the warmest. Distortion wise the HE 4 wasn't too amazing either.

Still pretty cool to see what is the evolution of the HE 4 from $400 ish to the HE 560 at like $600 too the Susvara at $6000! Also grats to you @mark2410 didn't know you were a Hifiman Sponsor!

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #3,977 of 4,142
20170624_162930.jpg
My limba t50 mod cups are edging closer to completion. Hifiman frame, so now my father in law has the experience to make the open version, aka, he4 cup transfer. I can't use the limba as I believe it will not hold up over time on the he4 build due to the very thin cups. I believe walnut, or cocobolo will work well. Any suggestions? He wants to do another build sometime this year, I just want to figure out the correct wood for it for beauty and stability both.

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #3,978 of 4,142

My limba t50 mod cups are edging closer to completion. Hifiman frame, so now my father in law has the experience to make the open version, aka, he4 cup transfer. I can't use the limba as I believe it will not hold up over time on the he4 build due to the very thin cups. I believe walnut, or cocobolo will work well. Any suggestions? He wants to do another build sometime this year, I just want to figure out the correct wood for it for beauty and stability both.

@Lohb made me Mango Wood Cups years ago they've held up really well... Still using them with no dmg craks or anything! An I'm ashamed to admit I've dropped them once or twice during that time too <.< and still they are in excellent shape

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,979 of 4,142
The mango woof is a little to plain for me

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #3,980 of 4,142
Cocobolo wood on the ATH-W5000 is very solid, but does make a brighter sound signature when sealed. The Fitz mod for the W5000, where you are taking the outer foam lining between the metal gimbal and wood cup, alleviates a lot of the brightness and adds bass, but that would make it partially open and not semi-open, so I do not know exactly how it would sound as a wood cup on the HE-4. ZMF might use the cocobolo, so you can check on the Omni and current-model Eikon and see how they sound semi-open.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #3,981 of 4,142
They'll be full.open just like the stock cups, not semi. My issue isn't with sonic signature, but with the wood not cracking

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #3,982 of 4,142
In that case, Cocobolo cups will hold strong and not crack, but you will need to use a good wood finish and shine.

Edit: ATH-W5000 uses Striped Ebony and not Cocobolo. However, the ZMF Ori can use Cocobolo and looks solid, but Striped Ebony looks to be more solid and much harder to crack.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #3,983 of 4,142
Right now, I'm looking at cocobolo, spalted maple, spalted tamarind, and a type of ebony. Probably won't happen Any time soon but I'm trying to source some exotic lumber anyways for some small treasure chests for my kids. I definitely can't do the turning for the he4 cups, I could for more t50 closed builds, but the open cups I'm not accurate enough for. So it'll be up to my father in law. Anyhow, back on topic. My Alcantra pads have worn a little too flat, may change it up, what's everyone's favorite pad these days?

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #3,984 of 4,142
Right now, I'm looking at cocobolo, spalted maple, spalted tamarind, and a type of ebony. Probably won't happen Any time soon but I'm trying to source some exotic lumber anyways for some small treasure chests for my kids. I definitely can't do the turning for the he4 cups, I could for more t50 closed builds, but the open cups I'm not accurate enough for. So it'll be up to my father in law. Anyhow, back on topic. My Alcantra pads have worn a little too flat, may change it up, what's everyone's favorite pad these days?

Still loving my DT 880 [silver/white] pads on my HE 4

Jul 1, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #3,985 of 4,142

TH-900 ear pads, though Dekoni makes a lambskin version (Smaller opening?), and even Brainwavz makes a circular non-angled lambskin version as well.

https://www.moon-audio.com/fostex-t...id=CMSX0LP06NQCFQYyaQod4IsIJg&ad=106141897881

https://www.ebay.com/i/142073428333?chn=ps&dispItem=1

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...zcz06NQCFQSqaQodySgD9w&is=REG&m=Y&sku=1301334

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LTJDH6?psc=1

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #3,986 of 4,142
I wish there was an alpha pad style but lighter density foam and the breathable soft fabric of the Alcantra. Wish I knew how to make pads, I think that would work very well with the he4, and probably other hifimans

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #3,987 of 4,142

Sonically what do the 900 pads change? I don't remember reading about those with the he4, but I could have forgotten, and if I could figure out how to search within a thread with the new headfi I would already know.

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #3,988 of 4,142
Sonically what do the 900 pads change? I don't remember reading about those with the he4, but I could have forgotten, and if I could figure out how to search within a thread with the new headfi I would already know.

With a stock HE-4 and against the stock velour ear pads, the TH900 stock ear pads add a little more bass, make the immediate soundstage less airy with more apparent details, and makes the treble a little darker. The mids extensions are also slightly extended from the slight angling of the TH900 ear pads. The generic TH900 ear pads (2nd link above?) are the cheapest at $22.

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #3,989 of 4,142
I wish there was an alpha pad style but lighter density foam and the breathable soft fabric of the Alcantra. Wish I knew how to make pads, I think that would work very well with the he4, and probably other hifimans
Looking at the AudioQuest Nighthawk pads I think one could fit them onto the HE-4. The ultra suede is a material pretty close to alcantara on my HD800s. Feels very high quality.

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #3,990 of 4,142
Looking at the AudioQuest Nighthawk pads I think one could fit them onto the HE-4. The ultra suede is a material pretty close to alcantara on my HD800s. Feels very high quality.

I will.check those out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back