Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 11, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #7,771 of 12,284
that is a bit of shame, I only ever have the mojo, but although it is expensive compared to other portable DAC, it also sounds very nice.
As of now, it is actually the oldest gear in my collection, and I buy and sell quite frequently compared to some people.

From what I heard though the IDSD provides about the same quality as the mojo, depending on your preference and budget.
I don't think you are missing out much.

The Black Label actually sounded better than the Mojo when I compared them head-to-head (as much as it pains me to say it). Not a night and day difference, but noticeable.

Still though, the Mojo has the Poly coming, and that's going to bring the experience to another level.

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #7,772 of 12,284
The Black Label actually sounded better than the Mojo when I compared them head-to-head (as much as it pains me to say it). Not a night and day difference, but noticeable.

Still though, the Mojo has the Poly coming, and that's going to bring the experience to another level.

I have FiiO X5ii strapped to iDSD BL right now, so... I can hear the full sound of iDSD BL which is amazing!

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #7,774 of 12,284
Is the Audeze Sine worth picking up at $250 (new)?

Knowing you, I am guessing you'd probably like the sound, but hate the fit. Unless you wear them at a very specific angle, they can be pretty uncomfortable. Not hard to get the right angle or anything, just know that that's a thing.

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #7,775 of 12,284
Knowing you, I am guessing you'd probably like the sound, but hate the fit. Unless you wear them at a very specific angle, they can be pretty uncomfortable. Not hard to get the right angle or anything, just know that that's a thing.
Ah. I should've been more specific. Thinking about maybe picking up a pair for my Dad for Father's Day.

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #7,776 of 12,284
Jun 16, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #7,777 of 12,284
Ah. I should've been more specific. Thinking about maybe picking up a pair for my Dad for Father's Day.
Even worse. You mean buy for him then borrow them?

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #7,778 of 12,284

Is your dad an Audiophile? if yes, then no, there are more headphone that sounds better than it for about the same price or a little more.
if he is the practical type but doesn't like IEM, maybe, since on-ear is small and easy to take around.
if he value comfort then no, on-ear is still on-ear so it won't be comfortable to wear.

if I'm in the same situation, I wouldn't buy it. I think for non-audiophile dads, PM-3 is the best option, still small and slick, easy to take around, looks nice but understated(white or black), very unoffensive sound as to not give fatigue, beautiful mids and nice bass, scales extremely well with better gears(if he suddenly want upgrade from mobile phone), and very comfortable.

Pricing is a bit more expensive compared to $250 USD, but you don't do this much, heck you may only do it once.
Meze99 is also nice, but a bit flashy and not as portable.

if he is an audiophile, well you need to spend more money, hehe.

hope this helps.

Jun 18, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #7,779 of 12,284
Is your dad an Audiophile? if yes, then no, there are more headphone that sounds better than it for about the same price or a little more.
if he is the practical type but doesn't like IEM, maybe, since on-ear is small and easy to take around.
if he value comfort then no, on-ear is still on-ear so it won't be comfortable to wear.

if I'm in the same situation, I wouldn't buy it. I think for non-audiophile dads, PM-3 is the best option, still small and slick, easy to take around, looks nice but understated(white or black), very unoffensive sound as to not give fatigue, beautiful mids and nice bass, scales extremely well with better gears(if he suddenly want upgrade from mobile phone), and very comfortable.

Pricing is a bit more expensive compared to $250 USD, but you don't do this much, heck you may only do it once.
Meze99 is also nice, but a bit flashy and not as portable.

if he is an audiophile, well you need to spend more money, hehe.

hope this helps.

On 250$ price point, I wholeheartedly recommend Meze 99C or 99N, it is a great option for over the ears and for a loving sound. I made an in-depth review of Meze 99 Classics https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2017/04/meze-99-classics.html

Jun 18, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #7,780 of 12,284
Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #7,783 of 12,284
19420892_10154509232136022_8827681829678962090_n.jpg

Nothing to do with metal,but I had to share The Magic Man rockin some sextetts!

Jun 30, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #7,784 of 12,284
I've lost a series of bids for HE6's the past few months, and was just fantasizing on the HE6 thread that HiFiMAN would collaborate with Massdrop on a version of HE6 for a friendly price of $700-$900. I think that would be a hit, right?

Jun 30, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #7,785 of 12,284
I've lost a series of bids for HE6's the past few months, and was just fantasizing on the HE6 thread that HiFiMAN would collaborate with Massdrop on a version of HE6 for a friendly price of $700-$900. I think that would be a hit, right?

I doubt they'll want to touch the HE 6, it's so picky with amplification. I think a HE 5XX would be more realistic honestly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back