HD600 cable upgrade - worth it?
Dec 31, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #211 of 275
  With Cardas they make their own wire and connectors. So the quality is there. If you are looking for a neutral sound Cardas is a good choice. A little boring for me. I would define the sound you are looking for in a Senn cable and go from there.

Did you let the designers and engineers at
Sennheiser your insight and findings​
rolleyes.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #214 of 275
Does anyone know why the HD650 ($12.32) cable costs so much less than the HD600 ($27.42) cable?
Is there any difference other than the connectors and plug?

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/best-audio-headphones-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650

Jan 10, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #215 of 275

In another thread that you were involved in I'm pretty sure I was asked the same question, specifically relating to my experience with recabling my HD600s. I have tried four different cables (and stock) and heard no difference of note. The one I've settled on now is a custom recable from ebay that looks like some of the ALO recables at a fraction of the price and ironically still has a more expensive quarter inch plug than the ALO. Looks nice, sounds identical to stock. The other cables I tried were the Cardas, SAA, and a custom Kimber recable from ebay. I've also tried the HD650 cable which merely has a thicker plastic coating - no difference in any of these in ABX tests.

I have more general experience with interconnects and power cables, a couple of years ago I wasn't aware of the science behind them so I did waste a lot of money on a placebo that gradually wore off. Once I started attending cognitive science lectures at university and talked to some physicists studying electromagnetism about some of the claims made about these cables I realised just how fallible our hearing can be. I have not found one properly conducted DBT or ABX where differences between cables have been found. Basically, if one can't hear it in a blind test, than one's mind is compensating. Again, Ethan Winer explains and examines all of these phenomena in his presentation.

I think there is a list composed by Prog Rock Man (iirc) of some DBTs/ABXs conducted by reputable sources in the Sound Science forum.

Edit: Just stumbled across this, quite a hilarious find: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/475342/not-sure-i-ve-made-the-right-decision

It's Lenni making the fascinating (*sarcasm*) discovery that his speakers sound better when he turns up the volume. This is the sort of person we're dealing with here...

That 200.00 + dollars spent on a cable in 1/3 of what the HD600 is worth. 

I really think that Draca's post just about sums it up; there's very little imperial evidence that any of the cables make any real-world, testable, repeatable difference in sound. The only asterisk I would add is that a new cable could make a difference if the old cable was physically inadequate or damaged internally. Not that I'm qualified to evaluate what, how, why, when or where any cable would or wouldn't work with a headphone, but for the most part i would think that the folks who engineer and design these headphones for a living know what they're doing. At the very least they know a whole lot more than most of the people in here myself included. Further it's silly to think that Sennheiser would spend so much money creating a headphone, designed for a high-end listening experience, and then cripple it with an inadequate cable when it would cost them almost nothing to use the right cable in the first place.
If what you are looking for is a different sound, trying changing your headphone first, as I'm of the belief that swapping source and amp equipment in search of a sound is a VERY expensive way of getting to the sound your looking for. You could also learn how to use an EQ and make slight adjustments that will also improve the sound quality. I know some consider that to be a taboo subject, but thats what EQ's are for. 

I own HD600's and i'm really not happy with the way they sound; nice and open, well extended up top but lacking in bass impact and extension and too bright for my taste. I certainly won't spend 200.00 bucks to fix it. IMO

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #216 of 275
Does anyone know why the HD650 ($12.32) cable costs so much less than the HD600 ($27.42) cable?

Is there any difference other than the connectors and plug?

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/best-audio-headphones-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650

I bought the 650 cable to try with my 600s. The wire is not the same. Physically thicker. Can't comment on the sound, yet.

Edit: The 650 cable isn't marked L/R very clearly, so I put a small piece of red heatshrink around the right connector, as to mimic the 600 cable. Turned out well.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #217 of 275
Thought I'd post a brief update on the two cables. I have HD600, for the sake of clarification, and the rest of my gear is listed in my profile.

The 650 cable make the 600s sound move upfront, more vivid. It allows for more apparent detail to come through; though, the quantity of the information (in itself) seems unchanged, Just its presentation. It's sharper, quicker. The tonal balance isn't as laid back. If you feel like your 600s need a little tweak to sound more forward and less constrained, dynamically, try this wire.

FWIW, I prefer the more easy-going stock 600 cable. YMMV. Each has its place.

Edit: text

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #218 of 275
I have the HD600's and Cardas cable. I noticed the sound improvement instantly.

Once, after I had been using the Cardas cable for a long time, I had the regular Senn cable in the headphone for some reason (I think I needed to use the mini plug) and forgot about it.

Later, I started listening to music and very quickly started to look to see what was wrong in my system, then noticed that I had the regular Senn cable in the system. Swapping in the Cardas cable put things right again.

Could I have gotten better sound by skipping the Cardas cable and using the money to buy more expensive headphones?  Maybe. But I like the 600's and I like the Cardas and it's not worth the energy to experiment with anything else.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #220 of 275
I find it an interesting phenomenon that every cable opinion thread is full of anti-cable crusaders. 

I came in with an open mind and I DIDN'T want to believe the whole cable thing because it meant I would have another variable and expense to consider in my purchasing decisions and it would be far more convenient to think that cables were just voodoo bs. However, after giving it a fair go with RCAs (I swapped a Monster cable with some no brand ones), I noticed that there WAS indeed a difference. I played the same song and the Monster cable had clearly more bass body. 

Anyway, the bottom line is, I kept on testing and sometimes I couldn't tell the difference (different USB cables on the Schiit Modi) and other times, like on the pupDAC, I could (comparing stock usb vs Wireworld Starlight vs Kimber Cu vs Furutech Formula). 

I also bought a Beyer T1 and I hated it. I tried "burning in" for 100+ hours. Still hated it. Too much treble, not enough bass, hurt my ears even though it was really clear and 3d sounding on the bottlehead crack amp. I ended up selling it. 

After i did more research, I decided to buy the T1 AGAIN but this time have it re-cabled by Whiplash so it had a very nice looking, light silver/copper hybrid cable. I wasn't sure what to expect with the sound as I didn't find many reviews out there for hybrid cables.

The difference though, was CLEAR. It seemed to have dialled down the bass impact a notch (which I didn't like) but the clarity and "space" in the soundstage improved significantly. Most importantly... it no longer hurt my ears. The treble sounded smooth even though there was the same or even more details. 

I then got myself a bassy DAC (Neko Audio D100 Mk2) and the synergy between the DAC, AMP, cable and headphone was PERFECT for my listening experience.

My friend recently bought a T1 with stock cable. I tried it in an A-B test and guess what? Sound was slightly too aggressive and hurt my ears AGAIN. Put my recabled T1 back on... perfect. When I started this journey I was trying to DISPROVE the notion that cable made a difference. However, I am more interested in facts and the truth than winning arguments or "being right". 

The fact is, for better or worse, cables DO make a difference. Do they make much difference? It varies depending on different situations, setups, and ears. In some setups, especially low end systems, there is something limiting the sound quality and cables do very little to change this. However, on high quality equipment, the difference is clear as day and night. 

I find it hard to tell tiny changes in sound (eg. slightly wider soundstage, etc). However, the changes I heard were clear even to my relatively unperceptive ears. 

I think that cables are upgrades of EXTREMELY diminishing returns. You just get less and less for your money the higher end you go. I personally don't think it's worthwhile after a certain point but to those who can afford it and who can tell the difference, I don't see why they have to be consistently trolled by those who obviously do not have a lot of experience in this but also lack the humility just to present their perspective as merely that, their opinion from a very limited experience. Instead I often see sweeping generalizations about cables not making a difference, snake oil, voodoo, bla bla bla. 

It would be great if the cable "haters" can just have their own anti-cable threads and allow those who know the difference and those who want to try for themselves to just get on with their discussion. 

I actually came here because I am about to pick up a HD600 and I wanted to know if anyone has tried Toxic Cable Scorpion or Viper on it. I remember that when I used to own a HD580 (with stock cable) I found that it seemed to lack bass impact and quantity. I want a cable that enhances bass but I was wondering if that would compromise treble. How does the treble sound on the HD600? I don't remember. 

Any responses from those who actually have experience would be great. Cheers. 

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #221 of 275
  I find it an interesting phenomenon that every cable opinion thread is full of anti-cable crusaders. 

It would be great if the cable "haters" can just have their own anti-cable threads and allow those who know the difference and those who want to try for themselves to just get on with their discussion. 

I actually came here because I am about to pick up a HD600 and I wanted to know if anyone has tried Toxic Cable Scorpion or Viper on it. I remember that when I used to own a HD580 (with stock cable) I found that it seemed to lack bass impact and quantity. I want a cable that enhances bass but I was wondering if that would compromise treble. How does the treble sound on the HD600? I don't remember. 

Any responses from those who actually have experience would be great. Cheers. 

The OP asked a question...if HD600 cable upgrade is worth it.
Why shouldn't those who have tried a variety of cables with their HD600 and don't feel it is worth it speak up?
If you want a thread that is not critical or objective, go to an appreciation thread. 
That is how it works.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread
There are a number threads devoted to appreciating other cable makers.
Enjoy!

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #222 of 275

This should do the trick for you. Extremely high quality, too.

Cheers

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #224 of 275
Good morning all,

I read through a little of this thread and searched for others, but didn't find a compelling answer to the question of what cable to replace for the HD600!  The stock cable on my headphones recently experienced an internal break and thus the right ear is now inop.  I need a replacement cable out of necessity, but the Internet is so flooded with misinformation and misguidance that I can't quite find the essential details.  Does anyone have a couple good suggestions of decent quality (and sturdy) replacement cables for the HD600 for less than $100?  I'm an audiophile...but an economic one at that :wink:  So far, the only interesting replacement cables I've identified are the ZY Cable ZY-044 (found on Amazon and eBay) as well as the ones from Oyaide.  I only want a cable that's between 3 ft and 6 ft in length and isn't overly burdensome (too thick/stiff).

I welcome your suggestions and thoughts, thanks!

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #225 of 275
  Does anyone have a couple good suggestions of decent quality (and sturdy) replacement cables for the HD600 for less than $100?  I'm an audiophile...but an economic one at that :wink:  So far, the only interesting replacement cables I've identified are the ZY Cable ZY-044 (found on Amazon and eBay) as well as the ones from Oyaide.  I only want a cable that's between 3 ft and 6 ft in length and isn't overly burdensome (too thick/stiff).

I welcome your suggestions and thoughts, thanks!

I tried the Oyaide and found it to be stiff and microphonic...but nice hardware.

http://www.charlestoncablecompany.com/store/p26/Sennheiser_HD_650%2F600_Headphone_Cable_--_CANARE.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74902_Sennheiser-HD-650-Replacement-Cable-092885.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=sc&scpid=2&scid=scsho6223796&gclid=CPGz873G3r8CFQsyaQodUYEAMg
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/search?keyword=hd600+cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back