HD600 cable upgrade - worth it?
Jul 24, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #228 of 275
Hmmm, I must not get the inside jokes that those astronomy photos represent... So I'll just ask, what does that mean?

And while we're getting back on topic, any other thoughts for under $100 replacement/upgrade cables for the HD600? (I don't want to purchase Senn cable again...)

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #229 of 275
  Good morning all,

I read through a little of this thread and searched for others, but didn't find a compelling answer to the question of what cable to replace for the HD600!  The stock cable on my headphones recently experienced an internal break and thus the right ear is now inop.  I need a replacement cable out of necessity, but the Internet is so flooded with misinformation and misguidance that I can't quite find the essential details.  Does anyone have a couple good suggestions of decent quality (and sturdy) replacement cables for the HD600 for less than $100?  I'm an audiophile...but an economic one at that :wink:  So far, the only interesting replacement cables I've identified are the ZY Cable ZY-044 (found on Amazon and eBay) as well as the ones from Oyaide.  I only want a cable that's between 3 ft and 6 ft in length and isn't overly burdensome (too thick/stiff).

I welcome your suggestions and thoughts, thanks!

Just get the HD650 cable.  It's cheaper and better quality.  Only thing it doesn't come with is the snap on 3.5-6.3mm adaptor.

I'm using it with my HD600s now.  It's better built - and should last the difference.

Amazon link to cable = http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cable-SENNHEISER-Headphones-HD650/dp/B0028PGXRE

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #230 of 275
Hmmm, I must not get the inside jokes that those astronomy photos represent... So I'll just ask, what does that mean?

it's a long story... and way off-topic, so I'll refrain. 
biggrin.gif

Brooko suggestion seems to be what you're looking for.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #231 of 275
What I really hate about the default Sennheiser cables, is exactly what the OP mentioned in his first post - how flimsy they are, and how prone to breaking they are upon extended usage. Had a case like that before, and had to replace it, but they most certainly need to think about that when implementing future hi-end models: cables should be more durable.

It's not that getting an aftermarket silver cable isn't nice and all, those guys gotta make a living too. Still, if the cable break happens when you're out of cash, you're stuck with headphones that don't work, and you're unable to enjoy your music collection, which leaves you empty and unsatisfied, especially considering how spoiled your ears by then, and you'd have a really hard time adapting to the vastly inferior sound that you'd get out of a cheap replacement.

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #232 of 275
  What I really hate about the default Sennheiser cables, is exactly what the OP mentioned in his first post - how flimsy they are, and how prone to breaking they are upon extended usage. Had a case like that before, and had to replace it, but they most certainly need to think about that when implementing future hi-end models: cables should be more durable.

It's not that getting an aftermarket silver cable isn't nice and all, those guys gotta make a living too. Still, if the cable break happens when you're out of cash, you're stuck with headphones that don't work, and you're unable to enjoy your music collection, which leaves you empty and unsatisfied, especially considering how spoiled your ears by then, and you'd have a really hard time adapting to the vastly inferior sound that you'd get out of a cheap replacement.

Actually the HD600 cable isn't that flimsy.  On the first pair I had - cable lasted for at least two years, and was still in perfect condition when I sold the HD600s.  The only reason I have the 650 cable on this pair is because that's how I bought it (used) when I purchased it.  If anything I'd prefer the original 600 cable - it's less bulky, and has the 3.5mm inbuilt plug.

What are you guys doing with your HD600's to break the cables????

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #233 of 275
I have the HD600's and I have tried them with the supplied cable and with the HD650 cable, my experience is that with the HD650 cable drop out due to the connectors 'moving' has dropped to almost nothing and the resultant better fit has enabled me to concentrate on the sounds, rather than worrying about drop out.

I have custom cables for my K702's and I swear by those, but for the 600's, I am happy with the 650 cable. As others have said, try before you buy and base your purchases on what works for you and what you think sounds good.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #234 of 275
Thanks for suggestions, all. I really would like a built-in 3.5mm plug. Also, I don't really have a place to "try before buy" with the 650 cable... Does anyone have specific experience with that ZY cable I mentioned? (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EI8AXYS/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?qid=1406302847&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70). Thanks again!

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #235 of 275

Actually the HD600 cable isn't that flimsy.  On the first pair I had - cable lasted for at least two years, and was still in perfect condition when I sold the HD600s.  The only reason I have the 650 cable on this pair is because that's how I bought it (used) when I purchased it.  If anything I'd prefer the original 600 cable - it's less bulky, and has the 3.5mm inbuilt plug.

What are you guys doing with your HD600's to break the cables????

Well, it's not like it breaks overnight, you know. It takes time, of course, but the very fact that it happens with a pretty expensive set of headphones is disturbing. I used to have a Silver Dragon cable made by Moon Audio, and that thing was like, bulletproof. So well insulated and shielded, that the actual wiring inside could probably last decades.

That sort of quality is what I'd expect from the guys of Sennheiser.

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #236 of 275
Again though - how are you treating it? It's not overly flimsy ......

And seriously - you're comparing a $250+ cable to the Sennheiser stock (@ $35) and commenting that the Moon Audio one is better built 
blink.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #237 of 275
  Again though - how are you treating it? It's not overly flimsy ......

And seriously - you're comparing a $250+ cable to the Sennheiser stock (@ $35) and commenting that the Moon Audio one is better built 
blink.gif

Is it possible if people treated their $35 Sennheiser cable as if it originally cost $250 that there would be fewer cases of the cable breaking?

The cable on my HD 280 pros has lasted me 7 years (and counting) of pretty rough use, including regularly being stuffed into backpacks, use with a cellphone and being stuffed into pants pockets, being plugged into amps (or even computer headphone outs
eek.gif
) and then me forgetting that I'm tethered and trying to get up and and walk away, etc.... And my 280 cable is still in great condition. I've replaced the earpads twice, the cable never. How does the 650 cable compare to the 280 pro cable?

Cheers

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #238 of 275
Hard to compare the two unless you can get a photo side by side.  The HD280 cable is also coiled isn't it.  The HD650 cable is really heavy duty.  Can't see it breaking in my lifetime unless it's abused.

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #239 of 275
Brooko: but is the 650 also really heavy? Case in point, I ordered the 'premium' headphone cable extension from monoprice and although it works very well it is heavy to the point of dragons my headphones off my ears :wink:

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #240 of 275
  Hard to compare the two unless you can get a photo side by side.  The HD280 cable is also coiled isn't it.  The HD650 cable is really heavy duty.  Can't see it breaking in my lifetime unless it's abused.

My 280 cable is coiled. I think Sennheiser offers a straight replacement option. I don't really think of the 280 cable as being anything especially heavy duty. It's just sort of a normal duty cable that happens to have been working flawlessly for me for 7 years and still going strong.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back