HD600 cable upgrade - worth it?
Jan 25, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #256 of 275
I love my 600's as well and just kept the stock cable but if you really want a different cable I would just get a 650 cable or make one out of mogami bulk cable. I never believed in differences in cables until I made my own guitar cable out of canare or mogami and it sounded MUCH more clear but quite bright.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #258 of 275
pcocc-a_big.jpg
I tried the 650 cable on the hd600 and I don't like it. It gives more highs presence but the midrange does not sound right like the stock cable. Oyaide is miles ahead of quality. This PCCOC-A cable has a very clean structure without any impurity.

As you can see in the picture, on the left is a standard copper, right the PCCOC-A. It's quite clean.
It's just an image but the funny thing it's a very close graphic analogy about what I am hearing with those cables.

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #261 of 275
I like my HD600 but they are too bright for me.. I experience fatigue after listening them for a while. So I think Im gonna try a new cable to see if I can make the highs a bit smoother somehow... I dont need more clarity.. I need l bit of laid back highs.. So if I understand corectly the silver cables gives you more clarity and the copper more bass ..or something like that ? Could you give me any idea what type of cable should I look for if i want to reduce that fatigue of mine.. :)

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #262 of 275
I like my HD600 but they are too bright for me.. I experience fatigue after listening them for a while. So I think Im gonna try a new cable to see if I can make the highs a bit smoother somehow... I dont need more clarity.. I need l bit of laid back highs.. So if I understand corectly the silver cables gives you more clarity and the copper more bass ..or something like that ? Could you give me any idea what type of cable should I look for if i want to reduce that fatigue of mine.. :)

If you find the HD600 fatiguing a cable won't fix it. Either EQ the 3-4kHz peak down a little, or see if you can trade it for an HD650 (or HD6xx from Massdrop).

The problem with cable changes is that if you actually measure the differences (objective rather than subjective), you'll find virtually no change. Silver is not going to make it brighter and copper won't make it darker. You need a different headphone.

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #263 of 275
Even if it dont change the things.. I definitely need a shorter cable.. so Im gonna buy one. Just have to decide what exactly to buy.. of course im not gonna jump into anything ways too expensive..

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #264 of 275
audio cables changing headphone sound or greatly improve it is a load of snake oil.
if you're going to buy an audio cable heres what to look for and what i look for as well:

a) durability (is it made well and wont crack, break or split at the ends and is it insulated well.)
b) length (how much cable do i really need? 3 feet? 6 feet? 12 feet?)
c) terminations (plugs) (is the 2.5, 3.5 or 6.45mm plugs made well, and are the proprietary ends connecting to the cups also made well?)
d) aesthetic (do i like the colour, feel, soft or stiffness of the cable? maybe coil?)

thats it, please dont drop tones of money on cables, its such a waste of money. i've had the opportunity to test "high end audio cables" at the behest of friends and co-workers who have made mistakes buying them and the cables have made 0!!!!! difference in terms of sound quality when compared to the OEM cables given to you in the box.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #267 of 275
Just read the whole thread, amazing that it's more than 8 years old. I think I am with the anti-cable camp, being an electronics engineer myself, I think that if you cannot measure it then you cannot prove it. A simple thing such as a cable should be easy measurable with a ohmmeter or an scope. Bit I digress, I just bought a pair of HD600 and found that the stock cable is too long and thin, thinking about buying a shorter more robust cable. I am between the OFC New Fantasy and the silver plated also New Fantasy from Amazon. I had the opportunity to test a pair of HD25 and I loved it's steel cable, it was thick but supple and the right length for my uses and the plug felt sturdy. Anyway hope somebody can recommend an inexpensive 1.5 meter cable.

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #269 of 275
I have a cheapo balanced sennheiser cable balanced with xlr and also a periapt balanced cable and an oyaide single ended 3.5mm. get a balanced cable if have balanced system.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #270 of 275
I plan on getting the Moon Audio Blue Dragon cable for my Sennheiser.

If anyone decides to buy a cable, at least buy one that is durable quality. I’ve had a stock AKG cable break on me just from normal use where the outer layer cracked and split open leaving the inner layer exposed making the cable even more fragile. Not good! So durability should at least be your first priority since stock cables tend to be on the flimsy side,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back