Grado GS1000i vs Sennheiser HD800
Aug 21, 2009 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

nick1973

New Head-Fier
Just spotted in this month's What Hifi magazine ( UK ) a head to head battle of these two high end headphones. Thought I would post to let you know the outcome and throw in some comments from the magazine for those who haven't seen it. The Grado came out on top with 5 stars ( out of 5 ) and the HD800 received 4 stars.

Comments on the Grado review- ' music is remarkably open. airy treble and upper midrange, vocals and instruments float with superb insight and precision. Presentation is a little leaner than the Sennheisers, although bass is finely punchy and well timed. Where they win out over the HD800 is in their transparency and musical realism- their timing and dynamic sweep combine with detail to deliver your music with near perfect fluidity'

Comments on the Sennheiser review - 'sound really quite sublime, bass kicks hard and deep and there is intense precision and detail on offer. The only thing that counts against them is that for all their precise clarity, they don't muster the astonishing levels of instrumental realism that the Grado's do. As great as the HD800 are, the Grado's have an authenticity and openness that make the HD800 sound comparatively, slightly sterile'

They recommend using a Lehman Black Cube Linear amp to get the best sound out of the Grado's.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 40
Reminds me to always trust my own ears.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrariman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a detailed and accurate reproduction the HD800 is better.

It depends on the meaning of word "accurate". For me their shortened decay and soundstage lacking natural perspective feeling is not accurate. The 4 against 5 stars marking is honest. The HD800 are quite correct sounding headphones but it's not a breathtaking experience to listen to them. They have some slight shortcomings which some people don't care for or don't hear, plus this is a FOTM on head-fi now, so talking about the GS1000 or especially PS1000 superiority is pointless. Let the time go by.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on the meaning of word "accurate". For me their shortened decay and soundstage lacking natural perspective feeling is not accurate. The 4 against 5 stars marking is honest. The HD800 are quite correct sounding headphones but it's not a breathtaking experience to listen to them. They have some slight shortcomings which some people don't care for or don't hear, plus this is a FOTM on head-fi now, so talking about the GS1000 or especially PS1000 superiority is pointless. Let the time go by.

Very well said... Unfortunately some people refuse to believe the HD800 are not the bestestest headphones ever.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 40
Wow, I complete disagree with that review. Ofcourse IMO thats all.

HD800 is one of the best I've heard, I heard it off not so great rigs and some really terrific setups. There were a dozen other uber high end headphones right there in the same room, and its not the BEST, but one of the best.

I've never liked the GS1000. I've absolutely never figured out what the big deal is about the GS1000. I heard it off some good rigs in the recent meet and I still was more impressed by the RS1's than the GS1000's. Now whether the GS1000i is any different is another issue. I dont know if theres a significant difference, but I'm guessing not.

Its just thin, completely mid range, no body, no bass, doesnt engage me in music. Yeah if you hear strings, and thats all you wanna hear, maybe they sound more natural on the GS1000, but for anything else, I find it hard to believe someone would prefer it over the HD800.

Aug 21, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 40
I think comparing the PS1000 to the HD800 would be a more accurate review, never the less I found a rip of the review and it's an interesting read.

I wonder when our own Wes Philips will chime in on the PS1000

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 40
I extensively heard the GS-1000 (non-i) in my system and didn't care for it. Much too coloring (V-shaped FR). I even preferred the coloring RS-1.

Aug 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nick1973 - What amp did they used in the review?

For non-UK readers, the reason for the comparison is because in UK GS1000i cost about £900 and HD800 is £1000.

Doesn't say anything about amp or source, just that every product is tested by their team of experts in dedicated demo rooms.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 40
Hm, very interesting. Now I really want to hear those GS1000i's.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #12 of 40
I think that What Hi Fi likes Grado headphones. Nothing wrong with that. 
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #13 of 40
It is interesting to read this two years' old thread when the HD800 was the best thing since slice bread. I went to a San Francisco meet around that time. Every top headphone was there- O2; R10; Orpheus; L3000; HP1000... you name it. The one headphone that people praised more than the others was the HD800. Fast forward to 2011 in the London meet, everyone hated the HD800 (check the impression thread). How the mighty have fallen!
Believe it or not. GS1000 had their moments too once upon a time.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #15 of 40

Quote:
God, I didn't even notice that when I posted. How embarrassing! Every dog has its day and headphones too. 
wink.gif

Actually you replied to a post that was a few hours old- nothing wrong with that.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back