Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 1, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #7,951 of 40,565
Some have also asked about the switch and whether it is a big difference between R and XIV. I will say with my Opus#2 using a balanced connection it is not as noticable as it is with the more powerful Kann on balanced. The XIV has a bit more bass and the mids are more forward. I use XIV more often than R. It was funny today I was jamming to some Heart and didn't realize I was on the R setting and was enjoying the hell out of it. I flipped the switch and was like ahh there is the more colored sound I love. The Kann pairs real well with the XR on the Kann's balanced connection.

Jul 1, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #7,953 of 40,565
Jul 1, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #7,954 of 40,565
I haven't tried the carrot module. I do have the MAM though and had a chance to compare my Zeus-XIV-ADEL with the non-ADEL Zeus-XIV. The closed MAM is not able to reproduce the sound of the non-ADEL Zeus-XIV.

I can confirm as well that closed MAM does not equal non ADEL sound.

Got a email back from empire. They told me to send it in to examine the crack, hope it wont cost much :/

Cool, that's what it's all about, great customer service. I can speak very highly of WE customer service as well since they immediately reached out to me with regard to my fit issue and are working right now to resolve it. 10/10

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #7,956 of 40,565
Hey guys, its been 6 months since I took delivery of my Zeus-XIV-ADEL. In these 6 months, I have spent some considerable time with each of the ADEL modules I own (MAM, G1, B1) and even had a chance to compare it to a non-ADEL Zeus-XIV unit.

ADEL or non-ADEL, Zeus is simply a remarkable IEM. The preference for ADEL or otherwise could be a matter of preference, like I had mentioned after trying both at the RMAF Canjam. But taking all factors into consideration, I must admit that the non-ADEL has the slight edge over the ADEL version. Among the ADEL modules, G1 and MAM-Closed seem to work best for the Zeus. The B1 may have its advantages and disadvantages, but the MAM-Open is a definite no-go for the Zeus, unless the only aspect you care in the IEM is an open and airy soundstage, in which case MAM-Open would be perfect.

I'd like to write up a paragraph or two about the differences between the non-ADEL and the various ADEL module pairings with the Zeus. But it could get quite confusing going back and forth between the different modules and versions. So let me just stick to Head-Fi's popular grading system.

BASS, MIDS, NOTE BODY, TONE, TIMBRE, NATURALNESS, DYNAMICS, RESOLUTION and IMAGING PRECISION:
non-ADEL > MAM-Closed >= G1 > B1 > MAM-Open

SOUNDSTAGE, AIRINESS and SEPARATION:
MAM-Open > B1 > G1 >= MAM-Closed > non-ADEL

TREBLE, TRANSPARENCY, DEPTH and LAYERING:
non-ADEL = MAM-Closed = G1 = B1 = MAM-Open

OVERALL SCORE:
non-ADEL: 85
ADEL - G1: 82
ADEL - MAM-Closed: 80
ADEL - B1: 79
ADEL - MAM-Open: 78

IMG_1988_L.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #7,957 of 40,565
I can confirm as well that closed MAM does not equal non ADEL sound.

Cool, that's what it's all about, great customer service. I can speak very highly of WE customer service as well since they immediately reached out to me with regard to my fit issue and are working right now to resolve it. 10/10

Yeah they replied pretty fast, does anybody know how much to get a hairline crack cost to fix?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #7,959 of 40,565
Has anyone compared the Zeus XR or Zeus XRA to Layla II or Campfire Vega yet??
Check a couple pages. A bunch of us replied to your previous comment and compared Vega to the Zeus

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #7,960 of 40,565
OVERALL SCORE:
non-ADEL: 85
ADEL - MAM-Closed: 82
ADEL - G1: 81
ADEL - B1: 80
ADEL - MAM-Open: 78

I think you should get ADEL S1 module then since you think MAM closed sounds best among the ADEL modules for the Zeus.
The MAM when closed does not yield any ADEL benefits. S1 sounds almost exactly same as MAM closed and yields all the benefits of ADEL.

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #7,961 of 40,565
I haven't done any experiments with Adel tech but mam closed still has a diaphragm in a small enclosure introduced to what was previously a closed system. The effect would certainly be subtle but critical listening on good kit may reveal a change. If you ever had a good dem of a unconnected speaker introduced into a critical listening area with only the driven speakers otherwise in it, you may get what I'm saying. Don't know if the effect is similar or even exists but just closing the vent behind the diaphragm won't completely stop it from vibrating at a higher frequency that when open. Theoretically, it could sound a tiny bit less etched/solid and be less black by absorbing a small amount of energy and energy it to whatever it's resonance points are. Not saying this is happening. Just that closed may not be exactly the same as it not being there or the O1 module.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #7,962 of 40,565
I haven't done any experiments with Adel tech but mam closed still has a diaphragm in a small enclosure introduced to what was previously a closed system. The effect would certainly be subtle but critical listening on good kit may reveal a change. If you ever had a good dem of a unconnected speaker introduced into a critical listening area with only the driven speakers otherwise in it, you may get what I'm saying. Don't know if the effect is similar or even exists but just closing the vent behind the diaphragm won't completely stop it from vibrating at a higher frequency that when open. Theoretically, it could sound a tiny bit less etched/solid and be less black by absorbing a small amount of energy and energy it to whatever it's resonance points are. Not saying this is happening. Just that closed may not be exactly the same as it not being there or the O1 module.
O1 module is the orange dummy one which deletes ADEL.

I was talking about S1 silver module which has a proper ADEL membrane and behaves similar to the other fixed modules(G1 Red and B1 Black). Through previous tests, people have concluded that S1 sounds very similar to MAM closed.

Also, according to a previous post by @Canyon Runner , MAM closed yields ~5% benefits of ADEL compared to normal modules/MAM semi-open.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #7,963 of 40,565
From my memory the S1 is really not bad with the XRA, it adds that nudge to the bass and doesn't really diminish the details with the XRA.

Jul 2, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #7,964 of 40,565
O1 module is the orange dummy one which deletes ADEL.

I was talking about S1 silver module which has a proper ADEL membrane and behaves similar to the other fixed modules(G1 Red and B1 Black). Through previous tests, people have concluded that S1 sounds very similar to MAM closed.

Also, according to a previous post by @Canyon Runner , MAM closed yields ~5% benefits of ADEL compared to normal modules/MAM semi-open.
I already knew that and why I included O1 and non Adel in the same reference. Mam closed may either not be a complete back seal or that 5% may be a diaphragm in sealed chamber I was referring to.

Jul 2, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #7,965 of 40,565
I think you should get ADEL S1 module then since you think MAM closed sounds best among the ADEL modules for the Zeus.
The MAM when closed does not yield any ADEL benefits. S1 sounds almost exactly same as MAM closed and yields all the benefits of ADEL.

Have one pair already. It is somewhere between the MAM-Closed and the G1. But I usually go for the MAM-Closed or the G1.

From my memory the S1 is really not bad with the XRA, it adds that nudge to the bass and doesn't really diminish the details with the XRA.

I agree. Not as bad as with the U12/A12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back