Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 2, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #7,966 of 40,591
Have one pair already. It is somewhere between the MAM-Closed and the G1. But I usually go for the MAM-Closed or the G1.

I agree. Not as bad as with the U12/A12.
Yep the S1 wasn't so good with the U12...bassy as hell

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #7,968 of 40,591
to go from a XRA to XR costs the price of a full reshell ? How much did you pay to do this?

Jul 2, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #7,969 of 40,591
Yep the S1 wasn't so good with the U12...bassy as hell

It's even worse with the M20 APEX. I love my bass, but that is just fatiguing. The B1, or the M15 is perfect for the U12.

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #7,971 of 40,591
Anyone using the Sony WM1A with XR? What you think?

Personally between the 1Z and 1A, I think 1Z is the more natural pairing but if you're not even considering the 1Z then the 1A is quite a good match.

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #7,973 of 40,591
How is the comparison to the Mojo?
Both are good pairings. I think if its 1A vs Mojo, I might actually lean towards the Mojo? Nothing against the 1A but specifically for the Zeus R I just thought it was slightly more detailed and smooth on the Mojo, though the 1A perhaps have a better lower end presentation. Mids are almost a wash, Mojo more smooth, 1A a bit more authoritative, so its apples and oranges.

Do remember that the Mojo requires an actual source.

Jul 3, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #7,974 of 40,591
O1 module is the orange dummy one which deletes ADEL.

Also, according to a previous post by @Canyon Runner , MAM closed yields ~5% benefits of ADEL compared to normal modules/MAM semi-open.

That's what I was told anyways, but never saw any quantitative data to really back up 5%. So for rule of thumb, when people in a demo ask, I just say it deletes the adel benefits. Basically makes the MAM into the Carrot plug.

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #7,975 of 40,591
Anyone using the Sony WM1A with XR? What you think?

ask me in 1 month, when i have both in my hands :gs1000smile:

it should be a good match , and a friend who has wm1a told me he got no hiss from the wm1a paired with his zeus

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #7,977 of 40,591
Mojo has hiss. But I never been bothered with hiss coming from sources when using Zeus, but does anyone know if The lack of hiss equals ever better sound quality?

A lack of hiss will improve your impression of the quality. With a blacker background, the music will standout more, seeming more vivid. Your sense of depth will improve, and immersion may deepen.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #7,978 of 40,591
if you grew back in the 80s when tapes was the thing , you would understand that hiss is bad

nothing good about it , no way you can sugar-coat hiss

hiss sucks. fact.

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #7,979 of 40,591
Mojo has hiss. But I never been bothered with hiss coming from sources when using Zeus, but does anyone know if The lack of hiss equals ever better sound quality?
Once listened to a lower sensitivity Zeus. No hiss, but I found the sound to just be a tad less impressive. I guess the sensitivity is just something that goes hand to hand with the magical sound.

On a separate note, 0 hiss from the Sony players for the Zeus. At least for my part.

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #7,980 of 40,591
if you grew back in the 80s when tapes was the thing , you would understand that hiss is bad

nothing good about it , no way you can sugar-coat hiss

hiss sucks. fact.

No doubt, hiss sucks. I was equally paranoid about hiss, when I was purchasing the LPG. And Nic told me, "the trick is, to concentrate on the music".

A lack of hiss will improve your impression of the quality. With a blacker background, the music will standout more, seeming more vivid. Your sense of depth will improve, and immersion may deepen.

Ironically, my source with the least hiss is my iPhone and it has the least depth. While LPG has the best depth but has a noticeable hiss. IMO depth is more dependent on whether your source can portray depth, than the hiss.

Once you put a little effort and focus only on the music, it just becomes second nature for your ears to ignore the hiss. One place where hiss mighy be intrusive is, when you are listening to something like a silent solo instrument.

Also, one other trick to avoid hiss is to use the included high impedance plastic cable, instead of the included upgrade cable or any other low impedance upgrade cable for that matter. But that might just be counterintuitive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back