Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
May 25, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #7,637 of 40,559
It's a custom monitor.

The only cable I have is the whip**** cable it came with. Making me miss the BTG Starlight the iems were being shipped out half a year ago with.

This whip**** cable is too heavy (slightly shorter) and bulky. Also absolutely horrible memory wire assembly. I must get rid of this cable and replace it with anything.

Should be able to order a replacement btg cable from BTG Audio unless I'm missing something? Also memory wire in any way shape or form needs to die.

May 25, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #7,638 of 40,559
Should be able to order a replacement btg cable from BTG Audio unless I'm missing something? Also memory wire in any way shape or form needs to die.

Yes, not a fan of memory wire. But it seems this cable has the most uncomfortable cable (overall as well) memory wire yet.

Any way I can take the memory wire out right quick?

May 26, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #7,639 of 40,559
Also memory wire in any way shape or form needs to die.
Hear! Hear! Companies really need to offer an option without memory wire, especially when it concerns TOTL. It just doesn't do to build someone stunningly beautiful CEIMs, made to perfectly fit an individual's ears and then slap on an incredibly uncomfortable cable that will chafe the ear.

When I had that with my own CEIMs, I ended up getting a preproduction Effect Audio cable that, from what I understand, will be more affordable and which I think would make a great stock cable.

May 26, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #7,640 of 40,559
Hear! Hear! Companies really need to offer an option without memory wire, especially when it concerns TOTL. It just doesn't do to build someone stunningly beautiful CEIMs, made to perfectly fit an individual's ears and then slap on an incredibly uncomfortable cable that will chafe the ear.

When I had that with my own CEIMs, I ended up getting a preproduction Effect Audio cable that, from what I understand, will be more affordable and which I think would make a great stock cable.
companies like noble and vision ears are starting to roll out such a stock cable, but i do agree that the memory wire on empire's premium options should be removed or at least give us the option to have it without

May 26, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #7,641 of 40,559
Curious if anyone has tried Apex on the XRA, for example, the M20 to give bass a lift? I love the signature as it is I am just curious. I was thinking about popping one in just for kicks.

May 26, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #7,642 of 40,559
Curious if anyone has tried Apex on the XRA, for example, the M20 to give bass a lift? I love the signature as it is I am just curious. I was thinking about popping one in just for kicks.

I believe @crinacle has tried this combination. Personally, I've used the M15 with my Athena-ADEL and compared to the G1, it's more linear (not as boosted in the bass and treble), smoother, more focused due to the flatter bass response, and resolves about the same, but has a slightly smaller and less airy soundstage.

May 26, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #7,643 of 40,559

I completely missed that, I may have to send my XR's back to get them XRA's at some point just to try that.

It's a custom monitor.

This whiplash cable is too heavy (slightly shorter) and bulky. But I've noticed that trend with most cables... Unfortunately

Hooray for custom, I've been doing a lot of reviewing with universals lately and all of them make my ears sore. Custom is 1000000x better. I know the arguments about resell and potential fit issues but the best companies have come a long way with regard to the accuracy of their fits and seal. I don't ever want to be stuck with a universal.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #7,644 of 40,559
Hooray for custom, I've been doing a lot of reviewing with universals lately and all of them make my ears sore. Custom is 1000000x better. I know the arguments about resell and potential fit issues but the best companies have come a long way with regard to the accuracy of their fits and seal. I don't ever want to be stuck with a universal.

For you, maybe :p I had plenty of perfect fit ears molds, and still can't stand customs in my ears (neither acrylic, nor silicone, nor the mix of both materials). Give me universal any day of the week, and I got close to 4 dozen of different eartips to make it fit and form a perfect seal :D

May 26, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #7,645 of 40,559
For you, maybe :p I had plenty of perfect fit ears molds, and still can't stand customs in my ears (neither acrylic, nor silicone, nor the mix of both materials). Give me universal any day of the week, and I got close to 4 dozen of different eartips to make it fit and form a perfect seal :D

The problem is the Zeus XRA universal is pretty bold, they out of my ear a lot, looks like I wear two christmas tree decorations.

9933293_l.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #7,646 of 40,559
I will try the M20 just to see what type of effect it has on the XRA. I would say the M15 would create more of what the XRA already excels at.

May 26, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #7,647 of 40,559
The problem is the Zeus XRA universal is pretty bold, they out of my ear a lot, looks like I wear two christmas tree decorations.

9933293_l.jpg
Me too..it is the same fit in my ear. However these no where compare to the Frankenstein bolts that were the Layla. My biggest problem with larger shells is finding a consistent seal. The Spinfit are inconsistent in sealing as I have a weird inner ear. My go to ear tips are the JVC Spiral Dot tips and generally the wide bore is awesome but the XRA sound better to me with a little more constricted bore due to it's brighter signature. Generally I put the SPiral Dots and forget it.

May 26, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #7,648 of 40,559
Me too..it is the same fit in my ear. However these no where compare to the Frankenstein bolts that were the Layla. My biggest problem with larger shells is finding a consistent seal. The Spinfit are inconsistent in sealing as I have a weird inner ear. My go to ear tips are the JVC Spiral Dot tips and generally the wide bore is awesome but the XRA sound better to me with a little more constricted bore due to it's brighter signature. Generally I put the SPiral Dots and forget it.
Have you ever tried the Final Audio silicone eartips?

May 26, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #7,649 of 40,559
May 26, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #7,650 of 40,559
I haven't,. Which one do you recommend it appears they have many?
I think I know what you are referring to, they just come in a wide assortment of colors and it makes it seem like they have different types. I believe they have two actual styles(not refering to size, they have a lot of different sizes), I have used the style that come with the F7200, I don't really know how else to describe them other than that. I hope that helps you. When I had the EE X EA - "Arthur", it's a Zeus-R with upgraded internal wiring and exclusive cable from Effect Audio, the tips fit completely flush with the end of the nozzle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back