DT880 32 Ohms Vs DT880 600 Ohms and more...
May 21, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #46 of 47
Quote:

I can see why you think there are inconsistencies in what I wrote. I'll try to explain it better. Before buying the DT880 250 ohm, I read through many threads on this forum and others. There are some who say 32 sounds better and others who say the 250 sounds better... and then there are those who say 600 is the best.

The thread that I linked gives numbers and measurements showing that all 3 impedances are the same. I wanted to see for myself if there was a difference in sound. I tried the 32 ohm and 250 ohm. I didn't get a chance to hear the 600 ohm though. Both the 32 and 250 ohm sound the same to me.

I've also read that a DAC makes a big difference. So I bought one of those too, but I was underwhelmed by the improvement of sound quality. I also tried to hear the difference between lossless vs itunes files... but I also couldn't distinguish the difference.

So what I've learned so far after spending months reading these forums is to look at measurements. Sometimes what people hear is altered by what's going on in the brain. So that's why I linked that thread full of measurements.
so true !! I tested and got the same results, actually people can't accept that the newer 32ohm versions produce nearly the same quality sound for which they had to spend dollars for getting the headphones at first nd then the amp; for regular use the 32ohm version is a treat, but if someone is really serious about audio then the schiit magni 2 + dt 880/990 600 ohm version will be the ultimate setup. Due to lighter voice coils there are "slight" improvements in overall impulse response and a tad smoother treble,also 600ohms are absolutely grain but the latter being very much the same, ...very less diff...not worth the price bump if aren't super crazy about audio

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #47 of 47
I've listened to and owned all 3 versions of the DT880 and "settled" on the 250 ohm version. They all sound relatively alike but the 250 had the best balance between sparkly highs and punchy low end. For some reason to my ears the 600 ohm variant had slightly thin bass whereas the 250 was perfect. Plus, it actually sounds decent straight out of my iPad and improves thusly with my Asgard 2. You can't go wrong with any version of the DT880. It's one of the all time greatest classic audiophile headphones ever made and shares the same reverence to me as the HD600. That's saying something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back