Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jun 1, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #8,686 of 12,346
Carlos, can you read a schematic diagram? Have you had soldering experience? Do you understand that half an amp of current under the right circumstances can kill you?

The gentleman at What certainly looks like he knows what he is doing; I glanced at the formulae and they look to be correct. As long as he is willing to help you that is certainly a good thing.
Since this is a Crack related thread I feel more comfortable talking about the Bottlehead products here as you can probably tell.

Jun 1, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #8,687 of 12,346
Carlos, can you read a schematic diagram? Have you had soldering experience? Do you understand that half an amp of current under the right circumstances can kill you?

The gentleman at What certainly looks like he knows what he is doing; I glanced at the formulae and they look to be correct. As long as he is willing to help you that is certainly a good thing.
Since this is a Crack related thread I feel more comfortable talking about the Bottlehead products here as you can probably tell.

I do have experience for all those things. I graduated in physics so I've build some low voltaje devices including detectors and very rudimentary filters. https://i.imgur.com/LlUIHRj.jpg I played with tubes too, just different ones :)
I know the circuit theory, how they behave, and I understand what every component does to the atomic level.
However, my building experience is not much (I just follow rules), but I'd said I'm pretty good at it having the right tools (which I don't own).

I've never dealt with high voltage circuits, I don't know how to design anything and how to achieve a certain goal, in this case, noiseless flat audio amplification. I just focused on the theory, not applications and topologies.

Having said this, you are right this is not the best thread for this topic. I'll go to the DIY forum for more help.

S.E.X. can be a nice point to start though :)

Jun 1, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #8,688 of 12,346
Carlos you asked some very intelligent questions that led to good discussion and I wish you well in your endeavors. My tube theory is not what it once was but if you get into an area where you do have questions PM me and I will always try to give you an answer, even if the answer is I do not know.

The Cracks I am building are more to impress local friends who are involved with physics, astrophysics, mathematics and such so much of my concern is about cosmetics and eye appeal and they enjoy sci-fi and steampunk. I like good sounding equipment of course and the amp sounds great even without many upgrades.

I cannot think of a proper pun about S.E.X that might not bring about a moderator intervention so the less I say now the better, take care.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #8,689 of 12,346
Many thanks @Paladin79

I don't think it has to be with being physicist or else, It's just people out of the hobby that don't specially get excited by the specs of an amp but just enjoy hardware.
I share the excitement of seeing tubes and wood though. For me cosmetics are almost as important as specs in order to choose a product.
I don't mind paying extra when I get double the pleasure by listening AND looking at my hardware.

I hope you find the Crack appealing and proceed with the S.E.X. later on.

...sorry for that

See you around!

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #8,690 of 12,346
Just got two Tung Sol 5998's in the mail but I will have to listen later tonight. I did take the time to plug them in and make sure they came up properly, I will have to clean the pins on one, no filaments at first but it will be all right.

Jun 1, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #8,692 of 12,346
Cool, I am using mine as a preamp into a NAD amp to try out different tubes.

Jun 2, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #8,694 of 12,346
What is TAPE LOOP?
On an integrated amp or receiver there is a line out called Tape Out and a line in called Tape in. There will also be a button to monitor the tape in. The idea is to be able to use magnetic tape to record whatever is playing, and to be able to monitor that recording.

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #8,695 of 12,346
Hey Paladin, how are those Tung Sol 5998s sounding?

As far as the eye appeal and steam punk look you're going for, for my eyes the wood doesn't contrast enough with the copper. Maybe some day build another box out of metal with sharp rusty spikes and giant rusty nails and thick chains hanging off of it. Add some circuitry that causes snaps and sparks. What do you think?

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #8,696 of 12,346
The Tung Sols seem to have deepened the bass a bit, one gives me fits, I have cleaned it a couple times but I do not always get good contact.

You are echoing my thoughts on the contrast. As I mentioned in a recent post the brown cabinet came out a little dark for my liking and the patinated plates kind of blend with it so on my second cabinet I will use another finish and probably use shiny copper with this box. Everything unplugs so I can pull the plates easily. Perhaps being a gemini causes me to buy everything in twos so I still have options.

I do have some blade switches but I began scaring people as I sent them on top of the amp. I may use them to control the lights in the VU meters down the road.

Right now I am knee deep in trying to get my second amp going and my modifications are correct but something is amiss. The transformer was changed on this model compared to the first one I put together. My memory is not as good as it once was, time to get the instructions out lol. It's been a good month since I built one of these but I thought I could build one from memory. I was a little concerned about the wiring on the two single gang pots I am using but they are correct.

I will get it figured out but it will be time consuming. I am also applying a coat of wax to the finished cabinet, it looks a little better in person. Steampunk is more brass gears and pressure gauges and there will be working gears involved in the build. I am also rereading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville for inspiration, as well as a series by Ballantine and Morris.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #8,697 of 12,346
IMG_1944.JPG IMG_1942.JPG IMG_1938.JPG Amp is now complete and working. The VU meter lights are not as bright as they appear in the photo, I still have to tweek them a bit. With all of the work I have done on the copper plates I was not getting a real good ground yesterday but it took all of ten minutes to remedy that today. This sounds every bit as good as my stock Crack amp and perhaps a bit better with shielded cable.

Adding separate pots and VU meters did nothing to affect the sound IMHO. Running the amp off of preamp out on a Valhalla 2 amp so tubes throughout, I love the sound. Right now using a Tung Sol 5998 and GE 12AU7 cause it was handy. Front dual volume controls and no cables showing except for the headphone cable, jack is mounted on the right side of the cabinet. Now I am on to turning a second Crack into something similar,

Tom

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #8,700 of 12,346
I would use steel wool myself. It is how I polished mine before painting it. But then definitely paint it.
Looking for advice on the best way to remove rust from the power bell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back