Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 29, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #8,656 of 12,346
Thanks attmci, for the helpful information.

As for the article, thanks for that too! Really interesting. I would think with stock tubes on the crack one could hear a difference. I don't have the most expensive tubes or have the speedball added yet. I only got one of those correct. I really tried to listen for a difference even after knowing the answer.

When I've compared Spotify with my FLAC files I haven't been able to hear much if any difference.

May 29, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #8,657 of 12,346
Thanks so much for taking the time to offer such sound advice Attmci!

I listened to the quiz and missed the Mozart piano concerto but it was a good sound test. I believe i read once that a piano is the toughest instrument to capture as far as recording.

The Neil Young was the hardest for me with the selection they chose. I listen to that album a lot but that particular song is probably my least favorite.

May 29, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #8,658 of 12,346
Thanks Allan, for some reason I have trouble accessing that site and the link really helps. The wood came out a little darker than intended but luckily I will be doing another cabinet and I think polished copper would fit this cabinet a bit better. With the system I have in place i can swap all three plates in a minute or two.

I finished the inside of the cabinet as well, the oak had such a nice grain it seemed a shame not to show it off a bit.

That is a BEAUTY.....:beerchug:

May 29, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #8,659 of 12,346
Thanks, I hope to complete it one day lol. I keep getting sidetracked with work, work.

On a scale of one to ten I consider it an eight, my next one will be nicer. I have had friends hint about me building them one and I am not sure they know what a headphone amp does.

I do have a couple Tung Sol 5998's headed my way and I may include one with the amp I do not keep.

Tom

May 29, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #8,661 of 12,346
damn, what now lol? It is listed on the Bottlehead site as one of the tubes you can swap without modification unless I misread it.

I have not completed my build on the fancier crack amp I own so perhaps I can incorporate mods there if need be.

May 29, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #8,664 of 12,346
I'am interested on how the VU meter connected into the amp.

I was always taught to connect such meters to the last stage before the speakers, for most of my testing i have had them hooked up to the 1/4 inch jack circuit with no ill affects. I did a lot of testing running them off the headphone jack of portable devices in order to get them tweeked in a bit. Does that help? They are mostly for show but I do like to make sure I am not pegging the needles unless I am beyond a comfortable listening level.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #8,665 of 12,346
Hey! I could be wrong it won't be the first time...

I have a feeling someone will jump in soon with the answer and you may well be correct.

May 29, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #8,666 of 12,346
I was always taught to connect such meters to the last stage before the speakers, for most of my testing i have had them hooked up to the 1/4 inch jack circuit with no ill affects. I did a lot of testing running them off the headphone jack of portable devices in order to get them tweeked in a bit. Does that help?

I thought about that I might put mine in between the Preamp and Amp,Yes Thank You!

May 29, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #8,667 of 12,346
It really depends on the range of the meters in question. They are usually rated at a specific current range. I want to say these are 500 micro amp but do not hold me to that, it has been a long weekend and the technical portion of my brain is a bit frayed or fried. That should equate to .5 milliamps.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #8,669 of 12,346
I understand but it is nice if the meter works somewhat lol. You do not want the needle sitting there doing nothing, or pegging itself every time you turn the amp on. The type i am using has an adjustment range of 100 to 500 microamps, apply more current than that and you may be ruining the meter. If you get into trouble, you can always read up a bit on current limiting resistors and change the range of the meter slightly. Mine are functional, if you just want the lights glowing, you can do that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back