Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 16, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #8,596 of 12,345
There are a lot of Russian reissues on Ebay of the 6SN7GT tubes. Has anyone tried those? Naturally I do not expect the same results but are they any where near a viable alternative?

May 16, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #8,598 of 12,345
Luckily I have two Crack amps so I should have an easier time comparing one tube to another. I have a few more choices on the way but I had not heard of the Melz yet. (Russian no doubt) Some day I will have time for some research.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #8,600 of 12,345
I did find a couple 6SN7GT Tung Sols to try out, they are on the way. They were not exactly cheap but they were not $150 each any way. I also found some 1578 Melz that were reasonable but shipped from Russia, I may get some of those to try out at a later time. Soon I will need to spend some time on finishing the cabinets for my Crack amps and building a headphone rack to match.

May 17, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #8,601 of 12,345
I did find a couple 6SN7GT Tung Sols to try out, they are on the way. They were not exactly cheap but they were not $150 each any way. I also found some 1578 Melz that were reasonable but shipped from Russia, I may get some of those to try out at a later time. Soon I will need to spend some time on finishing the cabinets for my Crack amps and building a headphone rack to match.
Well well.. Someone's bitten by the tube rolling bug!

May 17, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #8,602 of 12,345
It beats being bitten by fleas, mosquitoes or chiggers I would think.:)

Since I will be keeping one Crack and probably selling the other, I figured a few extra tubes might sweeten the deal for anyone interested in the amp. I am already planning major modifications in the Steampunk style as well as electronic upgrades and added features. VU meters, dual pots, etc.

Obviously I will keep the tubes I like the best but I am ordering two of some things.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #8,604 of 12,345
I certainly understand snake oil but the way some of these tubes are appreciating in value I have considered putting some away as an investment.:)
I envision my grandkids one day opening a safety deposit box to find tubes and a note from me saying not to sell these unless they double check the going price on Ebay. They then turn to each other and ask what an Ebay is and why had I not invested in gold or baseball cards or something of value????

I did try a Tung Sol 6080 and IMHO there was a pretty good difference between it and the original tube but it is only an opinion. Since arguments should be based on facts and not opinions, it is never an easy thing to argue what a person might hear or not hear in any kind of audio equipment.

May 17, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #8,605 of 12,345
I'am wondering how much a CRACK amp go for this days,I'am planning to sale mine.
IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #8,606 of 12,345
With your upgrades I would think yours could fetch at least $700 or more but that is just an educated guess. Personally I would throw it on ebay with a reserve and see what happened. The ones that ask for a Buy It Now of $800 or more are still sitting there. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. (Pubilius Syrus) No matter what, keep me informed, you can post it for sale here and on Ebay of course but you know all of that. I have the attitude that if my second Crack does not sell, I will give it to my son as a gift or just use it in my office.

I am not sure if Head-fi would allow it but what might be cool is to try to raffle one off at say $25 a ticket. Assign each ticket a four digit number and then announce a lottery on a certain date that would be the basis for the winning number, closest person to the number with their ticket wins. (using only the last four digits.) Maybe allow each person to select their own four digit number or numbers before said lottery. I am just thinking out loud but at $25 per, you need only sell 32 tickets to hit $800. Maybe even get a second party to handle the raffle so there is no question it is on the up and up. Have that person handle the money and once the winner received the Crack, send the money on to you. Make it as clear cut and honest as possible and I would buy a couple tickets myself (if it is allowed by Head-fi of course.)

Tom

May 18, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #8,607 of 12,345
I will end up selling mine, which is built well and has a few minor upgrades and some good tubes, for $500. Head-fi rules don't allow selling DIY items for more than the cost of parts and/or actual paid labor costs, so if you want to get reimbursed for your own labor, you'll have to sell it on audiomart, audiogon, ebay, or elsewhere.

May 18, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #8,608 of 12,345
Yeah I seem to recall reading that therefore placed a couple caveats in my post. Any Cracks being sold in the classifieds would hopefully fall into that category.

In my case I am paying a guy to build a new cabinet and there will be only a handful of stock parts left when I am done. Mine will be built, and rebuilt...well.:L3000: It would be a little tricky to do an audit on some of my parts so chances are I will sell my extra one on Ebay anyway if I do sell it.

May 18, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #8,610 of 12,345
I was just goofing around with the raffle idea but once I said it, I tried to think through it logically. You have probably said it but is that a Tung Sol Sylvania tube you have in there? You no doubt have invested in different components that bring value to the amp.

You can always set up more than one listening station but then I am someone who has has as many as five sound systems in a house at one time so my advice may not be the best lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back