CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 13, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #8,731 of 25,909
Absolutely, but I take it even when I am not doing shows. The risk is actually more scratches rather than failure. My Dave has clocked up 1/4 M miles now...
Surely by now your Dave should be able to cash in frequent flyer miles for a free Caribbean vacation totally off the grid. 1/4 million miles, 1 million taps...

Jun 18, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #8,733 of 25,909
Actually have a similar question for @Rob Watts. I typically travel only over the day and thus tries to travel very light. Hence I find the Mojo perfect in terms of form factor, I have contemplated getting the Hugo 2 but find it too big.

Thus I cannot help wondering if you reused the form-factor and mayor components (e.g. case, code and battery) from Mojo and improved the components quality and PCB how much better in sound quality could you get out of this form factor without a strict budget on the components i.e. a premium version of Mojo?

Jun 18, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #8,734 of 25,909
Actually have a similar question for @Rob Watts. I typically travel only over the day and thus tries to travel very light. Hence I find the Mojo perfect in terms of form factor, I have contemplated getting the Hugo 2 but find it too big.

Thus I cannot help wondering if you reused the form-factor and mayor components (e.g. case, code and battery) from Mojo and improved the components quality and PCB how much better in sound quality could you get out of this form factor without a strict budget on the components i.e. a premium version of Mojo?

The problem is power - Mojo is so small, any more power dissipation would cause problems.

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #8,735 of 25,909
The problem is power - Mojo is so small, any more power dissipation would cause problems.
Even the Hugo² is driven at its limits in this respect, as it gets quite warm, even hot when playing and charging at the same time. It shut itself down several times by doing so, obviously a protective function known from the Mojo (not to be found in the manual).

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #8,736 of 25,909
Even the Hugo² is driven at its limits in this respect, as it gets quite warm, even hot when playing and charging at the same time. It shut itself down several times by doing so, obviously a protective function known from the Mojo (not to be found in the manual).
Well that seems weird, Hugo doesn't seem to get hot and shut down while charging.

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #8,737 of 25,909
Thanks Rob!

Mojo sounds pretty amazing as long as you don't compare directly to Dave so not a big problem living with that sound quality when traveling. Will see if I change my mind about the size issue when I had a chance to listen to Hugo2.

Jun 18, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #8,738 of 25,909

Hi, Yes it is warm even if not used, and same temperature if playing or not playing in desktop mode in my home rig, but mine has never shut down though... My power button light is in desktop mode though more pink than red compared to the colour i see in the manual and hope that is the intended colour... Any comments on colour in this state please...

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #8,739 of 25,909
My DAVE is very hot (in the region of 50C I'd guess, with room temperature in the region of 30C) sat on my desk playing music into headphones. It doesn't run cooler when music is not playing, nor when the display is turned off. Thankfully, it hasn't stopped playing music just because it's hot.

Now playing: Derek Bailey - Play 4

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #8,740 of 25,909
Now that my Hugo² is fully charged, the temperature is significantly reduced, even if it's connected to the charger during playback and temporarily showing the white charging light. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the extended charging phase from maybe 30% to 100%.

DAVE is constantly warm (hot?), but not on an allarming level (the Hugo² was hotter).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #8,741 of 25,909

I think this day will come just not for a while yet.

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #8,742 of 25,909
I am contemplating a BD/4K player with optical audio out to the TT. It will be the second optical connection to the TT. Does anyone use a good switch which will allow two optical audio cables to feed into the TT, with no loss of signal quality, and maybe auto switching between active inputs? Thanks.

(Posted this on the TT thread since I am a TT owner, but all quiet over there so thought I would ask here as well. Thanks for any suggestions.)

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #8,743 of 25,909
Do you guys travel with the Chord Dave to other countries frequently or do you use something else like the Hugo or Mojo for that purpose?

Currently I leave the Dave at home usually. But thinking of taking it with me because it is a shame not listening to it for so long. But I am afraid that it might get stolen or damaged if I travel with it everywhere.

It is the same reason why I leave the Focal Utopia at home and only take the HD 800 S and HD 650 with me.
could you imagine trying to explain to a TSA worker what a DAC is in general if questioned with the Dave? lol Obviously Rob does it and it doesn't seem to be an issue... Just funny imagery to me, that you made me think of.

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #8,744 of 25,909
New Windows 10 Driver for DAVE.

Chord have just announced on Facebook:

Windows 10 users planning to install the latest 'Creator' update issued are advised to install the latest Chord drivers to ensure consistent operation with digitally connected Chord Electronics devices. The new drivers can be downloaded from the product page for each relevant product. Click to find and update yours:

I've checked my Windows 10 and it seems to have been updated to Creator, but I haven't changed my DAVE drivers and it seems to work OK.

There is a comment on Chords Facebook page that the new driver doesn't work with Mojo, which doesn't bode well for DAVE.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

Anyone know anything? Anyone tried the new driver with DAVE?

You can find out whether your Windows 10 has been updated to Creator by going Settings > System > About. If it says Version 1703, OS Build 15063.xxx you have Creator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back