CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 21, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #8,746 of 25,972
So I've heard the DAVE once or twice, but only with dynamics. My question is, how does she pair up with planars? I'm looking specifically at TOTL stuff like the LCD-4 and Susvara.

This wouldn't be a "now" purchase, more like after tax season next year.

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #8,747 of 25,972
Regarding planars, I've said before, and I still maintain, that DAVE + HEK V2 is a match made in heaven. Better to my ears than LCD-4, or any other dynamics/planar. I haven't heard the Susvara.

I feel that DAVE's cross-feed function is particularly effective with HEK's wider than average sound stage. Also important for me is to tame HEK's mild-ish 8khz peak with a touch of EQ. And a cable upgrade to remove any lingering doubt. And don't get me started on how important it is to get the source right to fully show off that DAVE/HEK transparency.

Jun 21, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #8,748 of 25,972
Dave sounds wonderful with my LCD-4....best HP I have heard with the Dave and I have heard them all

Jun 21, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #8,749 of 25,972
So I've heard the DAVE once or twice, but only with dynamics. My question is, how does she pair up with planars? I'm looking specifically at TOTL stuff like the LCD-4 and Susvara.
I too have listened to DAVE + HEK v2 & LCD-4 albeit at our local head-fi meet. Unlike the Attorney, I like LCD-4 better than HEK v2 and probably better than my Focal Utopia. Unfortunately, my head is too small for HEK v2 & LCD-4 for long-term comfortable listening. Your mileage and preference would obviously vary. I tend to listen at lower SPL than others, often 10-20dB less. So I had no problems driving LCD-4 or HEK v2 with DAVE. I think we had one person in our head-fi group finding that DAVE does not play loud enough off the HEK v2 for him. A few people were unhappy that DAVE cannot play the LCD-4 louder. Since it's impossible to know what your listening preference is in terms of SPL, if you have a chance to audition DAVE with LCD-4 or Susvara, it'll be best to make sure you feel DAVE can play music loud enough for you. I have to say though, I don't understand how people listen to such loud music. OMG, I just said it. I'm getting old.

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #8,750 of 25,972
could you imagine trying to explain to a TSA worker what a DAC is in general if questioned with the Dave? lol Obviously Rob does it and it doesn't seem to be an issue... Just funny imagery to me, that you made me think of.

Haha I would love to see their faces if Rob went on an all out, no holds barred explanation of his dac technology to TSA guys.

giphy.gif

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #8,751 of 25,972
could you imagine trying to explain to a TSA worker what a DAC is in general if questioned with the Dave? lol Obviously Rob does it and it doesn't seem to be an issue... Just funny imagery to me, that you made me think of.
Most airports my Dave and Blu 2 on the carry on gets through x ray without hold-up. Which is clearly a failure, as a solid block of aluminium is just a black hole; and my carry-on of Dave, Blu 2 and two lap-tops is about 20 kg; but occasionally it gets flagged. Then - what's that? It's a DAC I say. Hint of a frown, and puzzled look follows. What's that? It's a high end CD player. Faint smile of recognition, then a nod and OK then...
Actually the only airport where I get stopped absolutely every time, and chemical swabs are taken is London Heathrow, when it is done carefully and thoroughly.

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #8,752 of 25,972
I tend to listen at lower SPL than others, often 10-20dB less. So I had no problems driving LCD-4 or HEK v2 with DAVE. I think we had one person in our head-fi group finding that DAVE does not play loud enough off the HEK v2 for him. A few people were unhappy that DAVE cannot play the LCD-4 louder...I have to say though, I don't understand how people listen to such loud music. OMG, I just said it. I'm getting old.

It sometimes makes me cringe to see other headfiers slowly destroying their ears in front of me. And many are old enough to know better. I don't think it's an age thing, maybe a macho thing?
I can only hope for their long term hearing sake that they listen at much lower volumes in their normal environments, when not compensating for the typical noisy meet. conditions.

My normal listening volume with DAVE/HEK V2 is -25 to -33db for non-classical music, depending on the "loudness" of album mastering. For the less efficient LCD-4, I'd have to turn the volume up a few db, but still way below 0db.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #8,753 of 25,972
It sometimes makes me cringe to see other headfiers slowly destroying their ears in front of me. And many are old enough to know better. I don't think it's an age thing, maybe a macho thing?
I can only hope for their long term hearing sake that they listen at much lower volumes in their normal environments, when not compensating for the typical noisy meet. conditions.

My normal listening volume with DAVE/HEK V2 is -25 to -33db for non-classical music, depending on the "loudness" of album mastering. For the less efficient LCD-4, I'd have to turn the volume up a few db, but still way below 0db.
Totally agree. What wouldn't you hear at -20db with Utopia or -10db with LCD-4 from Dave?

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #8,754 of 25,972
Totally agree. What wouldn't you hear at -20db with Utopia or -10db with LCD-4 from Dave?

I listen to the Utopia at -33 to -44 on the DAVE, depending on the track/album from Classical to Pink Floyd and many other genres. Tidal is typically the loudest (requiring the lowest volume) compared to my collection of digital files which I try to find the best master. I've roughly measured (with a smartphone app) the SPL at the sealed earcup to average between 80-85dB SPL at these settings, with peaks that can go as high as 95dB SPL.

Jun 22, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #8,756 of 25,972
Haha I would love to see their faces if Rob went on an all out, no holds barred explanation of his dac technology to TSA guys.

He's such a nice man that I'm sure he can handle people no matter a situation :ksc75smile:

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #8,757 of 25,972
He's such a nice man that I'm sure he can handle people no matter a situation :ksc75smile:
These days flying with a laptop might be the biggest issue for TSA. Also, a person with ill intentions would not want to call attention to his or herself by presenting an aluminum encased DAC to a TSA agent.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #8,758 of 25,972
Regarding planars, I've said before, and I still maintain, that DAVE + HEK V2 is a match made in heaven. Better to my ears than LCD-4, or any other dynamics/planar. I haven't heard the Susvara.

I feel that DAVE's cross-feed function is particularly effective with HEK's wider than average sound stage. Also important for me is to tame HEK's mild-ish 8khz peak with a touch of EQ. And a cable upgrade to remove any lingering doubt. And don't get me started on how important it is to get the source right to fully show off that DAVE/HEK transparency.
Is the HEKV2 better than than 009?

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #8,760 of 25,972
I tend to listen to my Utopia with Dave and Tidal anywhere between -35 and 27........with my LCD-4 i tend to listen most often between -20 to -10 with a few outliers in either direction

Funny story,I had an LCD-4 and sold it some time ago....It was much more difficult to drive than the current LCD-4 I own....for whatever reason this new LCD-4 which i got a couple of months ago seems far more efficient than my prior LCD-4..I actually called Audeze to ask about it and inquire if by accident I ended up with a 100 Ohm model by mistake...they checked the serial # etc and swore up and down that it is a 200Ohm model and couldnt account for the difference...personally I love it and would never sell this particular unit but am still a bit confused by it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back