Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Feb 2, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #1,471 of 2,546
Irrespective of electrical theory, a larger diaphragm generally has greater mass and that would require more power(current) to control. For this reason I always use high gain when I plug full size headphones into a dap. This is my take on the subject but YMMV. Cheers.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #1,472 of 2,546
Indeed its an vintage model, Westone 1

hhttp://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/w-series/w-series-product-archive/westone-1.html#
Sensitivity: 122 dB SPL @1mW
Impedance: 27 ohms @1kHz

I have done my homework while I am searching for a high sensitivity IEM to serve as "hissing detector"
biggrin.gif
, I have decided to go for Westone W10, while I was searching for good deals, I run into this shop that still have a couple of NOS Westone 1 available and these two IEMs are rated at the same impedance, so I get a very good deal as the shop is trying to clear their remaining stock at 50% off MSRP.
beerchug.gif

Just reading that sensitivity spec. makes my ears ring
wink_face.gif

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #1,473 of 2,546
Feb 2, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #1,475 of 2,546
Irrespective of electrical theory, a larger diaphragm generally has greater mass and that would require more power(current) to control. For this reason I always use high gain when I plug full size headphones into a dap. This is my take on the subject but YMMV. Cheers.

Yes, the keyword is current.

High gain increase the voltage in most cases, not the current. Switching from 3.5mm to 2.5mm in N5 definitely increase the current. :atsmile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 2, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #1,476 of 2,546
Just reading that sensitivity spec. makes my ears ring:wink_face:

Well, I buy this is a tool, not a headphone :wink:

Like being in the third row at a Rush concert:D

So you did make it to the R40 Live 40th Anniversary Tour? Must be a very STRONG experience. :D

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,478 of 2,546
So you did make it to the R40 Live 40th Anniversary Tour? Must be a very STRONG experience.
biggrin.gif

Absolutely but they have toned it down a wee but from my last Rush tour which was the Grace Under Pressure tour that had me ringing, luckily for me it was after that show that I started wearing attenuation/plugs in my ears
blink.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #1,479 of 2,546
Hello! Anyone has a problem with the Cayin N5 - started being "wobbly" if I press on the sides of the player, it feels as if it shifts. 

Not sure if I understand it correctly, do you mean the side buttons has a lot of "gap" to move around when you press on it?

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #1,480 of 2,546
Hi, guys. I need your opinion.
I have Cayin N5 for 3 months and like it as a portable player (with HIFIMAN HE400S). But when I use it as a DAC, I am not really impressed. I have pretty good amp Marantz PM-62 and Memorex 505 (biggest Memorex speakers), and the sound from CD-player (Marantz CD-63) is perfect for me.
Would I get any noticeable difference if I buy a separate DAC (I'm considering something like Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic 100 or Modi 2 Uber, but cannot try them before purchase).
Will it improve sound? Source is flac 24/96 or 24/192 (mostly) from PC.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 5, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #1,481 of 2,546
Not sure if I understand it correctly, do you mean the side buttons has a lot of "gap" to move around when you press on it?

The sides of the player itself, it's like a sandwich made out of two parts, and I have a feeling that they are shifting a bit.
I cannot add pictures to this thread, so I will link http://imgur.com/a/bzC0B
It also looks like theres a bit of air visible at the bottom of the player (the gap between the two parts) on the side with the scroll wheel. 
I can't seem to get the shot with my DSLR to show it more clear. 
Im afraid that because I have purchased it in Ukraine (I assume not an official dealer, yet an audio shop) if something goes wrong they won't be able to help me, and since I am out of my home, I am in panic that I may not even have a receipt to show proof of purchase (I do have the box that has the serial).

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,482 of 2,546
It has been awhile since I introduced N5 with my review back in September of last year, and now I have a chance to re-introduce it based on the updated final production version I just received to replace my early pre-production review sample.  Don't worry, I will not go into my usual multi-page write up, will be brief and let the pictures do most of the talking, after all - they worth thousands of words anyway
biggrin.gif

Old vs New N5 - by "old" I mean my original pre-production unit which had a color a few shades lighter, came with a plastic dust cover at the bottom of the DAP to go over both micro-SD slots and usb3 connector, and scrolling wheel that was a bit stiff.  Also, my "old" unit didn't arrive with silicone case.  The latest production unit, as you can see from the pictures, is a shade darker in color, updated without a dust cover at the bottom (Thank YOU Cayin!!!), and scrolling wheel is a lot easier to turn, and the middle Play/Pause/Select button has a slightly pivoting cap (was stiff in my pre-production unit).  I also like how you can feel better the ridges on the surface of the scrolling wheel as you turn it, better grip/friction.

Silicone skin - it actually not bad at all, and I like how the back has 2 rubber "lines" to keep it slightly off the surface, good idea for extra airflow when you charging the DAP.

Leather case (Penon, $15.90: http://penonaudio.com/Cayin-N5-Leather-Case)

This is an original Cayin pleather case.  Yes, I know Dignis released one for $50 (I don't have it yet), but this is a budget version at a fraction of a price.  The fitment is nice and tight, the top is open (that's where you slide N5 in), the bottom has one large cutout with ease access to micro SD cards and usb3 port.  Btw, this case works with my pre-production unit as well, except it's a major PITA to lift dust cover (for those who have N5 model with that cover - just take it out :)).  All the buttons on the left side are covered and indented with a functionality label (Volume +/- and M), but not easy to feel blindly.  On the front, Return and Skip keys are also covered, though have a much better and easier to feel indentation.  The scrolling wheel is obviously open and easy to access.  Also, the cutout has enough margin to show a charging light.  The quality of material and the workmanship are just ok, nothing really outstanding but it does the job of keeping N5 away from scratches, giving you a better grip so N5 doesn't slide out of your hand, and overall it looks good and compliments N5 design.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #1,484 of 2,546
One additional improvement I forgot to mention in "old vs new", the recessed area around usb3 connector has been expanded and now you can use ANY micro-usb cable, even with wider connector housing.  That was one of the problems I experienced with original unit where some of my charging cables wasn't plugged in all the way and I had to rely on monitoring a charging light to make sure connector mated properly.  Not a show stopper since I still have plenty of slim connector cables, but now especially with a leather case - there is no limitation!

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #1,485 of 2,546
  One additional improvement I forgot to mention in "old vs new", the recessed area around usb3 connector has been expanded and now you can use ANY micro-usb cable, even with wider connector housing.  That was one of the problems I experienced with original unit where some of my charging cables wasn't plugged in all the way and I had to rely on monitoring a charging light to make sure connector mated properly.  Not a show stopper since I still have plenty of slim connector cables, but now especially with a leather case - there is no limitation!

That's really awesome! So it doesn't unplug as easily as before too? (I assume its because of the width). You mention that the old is pre-production, but did they sell them also? I seem to have the old one, I purchased it in November I think in a local audio shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back