Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Jan 30, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #1,441 of 2,546
FLC is getting into the cable business with a new line of single-crystal pure silver cables with various connectors and terminations. They should be up for sale on LMUE soon. I'm getting one with 2.5mm balanced termination a bit ahead of schedule to test with the N5 and PAW 5000.

I just emailed Teo at LMUE to see when they'll be listed for sale.

Thanks for the info @nmatheis, I will keep my eyes out for the new cable @ LMUE

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #1,443 of 2,546
This is a very interesting test, I am interested to know his reaction when you disclose the actual result to him, bet him can't smile after that. Did he spends more time to audition the N5 after that?

Visual appreciation is indeed a big issue on portable gear, they are, to certain extend, men's accessories, we just have to live with the fact that while headfi was a dream of high fidelity, sound performance is not always the top priority.

By the way, what was the headphone used in the blind test?

He already had some time with the N5 prior but he did further and noted that N5 is brighter, which seem odd as his Vantam is rolled with the MUSE chip... He tried with his K10U.

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #1,444 of 2,546
That's very strange, I have tried N5 line out in several occasions, while it is not the best of its kind, it certainly can function smoothly with all the headphone amp I tried, be it desktop or portable.

You are using a 3.5mm to 2xRCA adapter cable? Do you have a replacement cable to try out with? I am under the impression that this is a grounding issue and the cable might be the cause of the accident.

No joy. Tried with 2 other cables, there is no love between N5 and A20.

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,445 of 2,546
Sexy!

I've got an N5 on the way along with a balanced silver cable for my FLC8S. It'll be my first balanced experience. I'm stoked!

Nikolous, the FLC8S is 11 Ohm and 93 dB efficiency right? I'd be interested if you hear hiss with the balanced connection. It was quite obvious with the JH Angie (17 Ohm, 117 dB efficiency) from the N5 balanced.

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #1,447 of 2,546
I'm hopeful it'll be under control since FLC8S isn't overly sensitive. I don't seem overly sensitive to hiss anyways. We shall see. Even if does hiss, I'll have a nice balanced 2-pin cable to take me into the future!

Exactly!  93 dB sensitivity is a piece of cake!  My ES60 with 118 dB sensitivity - forget about it...

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #1,450 of 2,546
Glad to hear you agree, Alex. I'm not dealing with low impedance + high sensitivity so was thinking it should be ok.

For sure! Quite a big factor.

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #1,451 of 2,546

Exactly!  93 dB sensitivity is a piece of cake!  My ES60 with 118 dB sensitivity - forget about it...

Glad to hear you agree, Alex. I'm not dealing yet with low impedance + high sensitivity so was thinking it should be ok.

Fix it for ya
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #1,452 of 2,546

Hi twister6, did you compare your N5 with your DX80 using the Savant? Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

If you scroll toward the end of my DX80 review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-audio-dx80-high-resolution-audio-player/reviews/14737, you will see that I went into comparison of different DAPs, including a more detailed one between N5 and DX80 (in terms of sound quality, these guys are pretty close).  That comparison is applicable to Savant as well which pairs up great with both.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #1,453 of 2,546
@twister6: LOLZ!!! Thanks for that. Funnily enough, I used PAW Gold + Zeus which Mim and Cotnijoe said hissed. I must be too old because I don't hear the hiss unless I got into High Gain. or I got the low sensitivity version of Zeus - need to ask Jack. I know Cotnijoe is a hell of a lot younger than me. Not sure abut Mim...

High Gain hissed like a mo-fo, though!!!

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #1,454 of 2,546
HELP! Downloaded the new 3.0 firmware for the N5 a little while ago and recently tried to use it as an outboard dac with my Mac and it will not work!! Worked just fine with the previous firmware but with this firmware it just gives me static and a message about dsp and 0 bits???!!! Have no idea what this means.
If anyone could help me I would be most appreciative. I posted about this previously but no response from anyone.
Before anyone asks, I did use the supplied cable, and also tried another one (just in case) as well as tried a few other daps just to make sure it wasn't my computer. My computers' system preferences does recognise the N5 dac but all I get from the N5 is static. All other functions are working just fine. Cheers. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #1,455 of 2,546
No needd. As you know, there is a opening over the USB port whereas only the sdcard slots are covered. So, just remove the original silicon cover

I personnaly did the same, I removed the silicon cover and I don't have to open and close it each time I plug the N5.

About the Dignis case, it brings awesome look and protection to your N5. I'm very pleased with this one, despite it still a bit expensive and makes your N5 even bulkier than it is already...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back