Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Feb 10, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #1,501 of 2,546
  Reference to posts #1232 and #1235 on page 83, regarding the non-linear battery reading below 20%, now I discovered something about the upper range... I'm not sure if this is actually the first time I observed on fw3.0... my impression is so. On fw 2.0, I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that because a large part of my N5 burn-in (~150hrs so far) was with 2.0, and I have been checking quite regularly and have established a general trend of the reading dropping about 10% per hour. My impression is that by the time 3.0 came, I have slowed down the burn-in frequency and ramped up DX80's, hence I may not have observed the battery level drop trend of 3.0.

Today I happened to check the battery level after running for 6hrs and I was shocked to see 71% remaining. This couldn't be. Unfortunately I didn't manage to catch the battery flat as I was out.

I have since recharged and started another run. As of 5hrs, I'm looking at 76%. If it still lasts 9hrs (means the reading really screwed up big time), it should end around 3am later (1130pm now, GMT+8). I will be staying up till around 2am and will check again. If it is still running, I won't be too worried about the battery's physical condition. But however it would mean a probable issue in fw3.0 compared to 2.0.

Update + consolidate:
- At 5hrs, battery reads 76%.
- 6hr 00min --- 71%.
- 8hr 30min --- 61%.
- Once it falls below 60%, it's speeding up. At ~8hr 40min onwards, it dropped 5% in 3mins.
- 8hr 45min --- 48%.
- 8hr 50min --- 42%.
- 8hr 55min --- 32%, now it's dropping 2% by 2%.
- 9hr 00min --- 17%.
- 9hr 05min --- 5%.

Exercise cut. Stop before player poof lol...

So battery is still ok. Could it be fw3.0? I'm tempted to flash back to 2.0 to try...

Sidetrack... btw how do I export the playlist and later import back? I've been doing firmware flashing for both N5 and DX80 recently and really dreading each time gotta setup my playlist again 
frown.gif

Update:
- Flashed to 2.0 and running now. After 2hrs, reading is 91%. Ohno... looks like this behavior unlikely to be 3.0 related 
frown.gif

- 6.5hrs --- 70%. I stopped the exercise and flashed back to 3.0. 
frown.gif

You are not alone on this. Realise this on my unit as well but not sure what is the trigger or what has changed.

Has been full-charging and discharging but does not seems to help. It is like 60% is now the new 20%, i.e. should put to charger once hit 60% (60% to 20% will drop in minutes and probably will miss this if I were to "catch" 20% as an indicator to charge the unit).

Occasionally, when the unit got down to sub 10%, turning off and turning on the unit made the battery meter jumped to 100%!!!

Hope there is a fix for this in newer firmware.

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #1,502 of 2,546
Remember this DAC?

If you are interested to find out more detail about our new desktop headfi products, please check out the following threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/797583/cayin-idac-6-a-killer-new-dac-with-tons-of-options-on-board

http://www.head-fi.org/t/797581/cayin-iha-6-the-new-affordable-reference-class-balanced-desktop-amp

Trust me, John ( project86) is correct, they are amazing. :D :D

Trying now as I type. Nice...

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #1,504 of 2,546

You are not alone on this. Realise this on my unit as well but not sure what is the trigger or what has changed.

Has been full-charging and discharging but does not seems to help. It is like 60% is now the new 20%, i.e. should put to charger once hit 60% (60% to 20% will drop in minutes and probably will miss this if I were to "catch" 20% as an indicator to charge the unit).

Occasionally, when the unit got down to sub 10%, turning off and turning on the unit made the battery meter jumped to 100%!!!

Can you remember roughly how many recharge cycles has it undergone?

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #1,507 of 2,546

Have alerted Engineers about the battery capacity issue as soon as samuelboy raised the issue, will follow u again after Chinese New Year holiday, I am sure this will will be rectified by subsequent firmware update, probably not perfect but should offer significant improvement from current situation.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 12, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #1,508 of 2,546

Trying now as I type. Nice...

Interesting, you are testing this in Australia? Please tell us what you think about the system .... or better still, share your impression in the main iDAC-6/iHA-6 thread, we need more traffic to draw attention from fellow headfiers. :D :D

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #1,510 of 2,546
Now that is nice!! If it is anything like the various bits of Cayin gear I own (SS and tube) it will be a sweet sounding combo! Will my wallet ever recover?!

This is Chinese New Year, the best time to spend, we can worry about the wallet recovery later.

Or better still, can we get used to the wallet issue? I have already. :D :D

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #1,511 of 2,546
I'll test it in the US Andykong :wink_face:

BTW: I just got the used N5 today and plugged in the new VE Asura 2.0 I gut yesterday. WOW!!! I got one of those big, stupid grind on my face we get when things just click.
:L3000:

That certainly is possible, the CanJam SoCal is just few weeks away, If you drop by, you'll get to try out all the new products from Cayin in person. :D

In that case, I must find a way to check out the Asura. I have the VE Monk and Zen 1.0, the N5 can barely handle it at 3.5mm, I was a bit worry whether the 2.5mm output from N5 can do justice for the Zen 2.0.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #1,512 of 2,546

I'll test it in the US @Andykong
wink_face.gif

BTW: I just got the used N5 today and plugged in the new VE Asura 2.0 I gut yesterday. WOW!!! I got one of those big, stupid grind on my face we get when things just click.
L3000.gif

That certainly is possible, the CanJam SoCal is just few weeks away, If you drop by, you'll get to try out all the new products from Cayin in person.
biggrin.gif

In that case, I must find a way to check out the Asura. I have the VE Monk and Zen 1.0, the N5 can barely handle it at 3.5mm, I was a bit worry whether the 2.5mm output from N5 can do justice for the Zen 2.0.

Andy, I actually got a balanced version of Zen 2.0 with 2.5mm TRRS adapter (as well as 3.5mm TRS adapter), and I will make sure to test it with N5 when I get to it
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #1,513 of 2,546

Andy, I actually got a balanced version of Zen 2.0 with 2.5mm TRRS adapter (as well as 3.5mm TRS adapter), and I will make sure to test it with N5 when I get to it
wink.gif

You lucky duck, Alex! I'll be looking forward to hearing how that goes. Might just have to pick one of those up myself if you think its worth it.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,515 of 2,546
Is there a FW Editing / Themeing tool for N5 yet?

I could be way off, but I have a feeling you can use FiiO tool for that?  Both N5 and the latest FiiO DAPs use the same processor, and there are striking similarities in overall GUI and setup menu options.  Makes me wonder if GUI/controls are based on some common set of development tools licensed from the same company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back