Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 12, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #17,236 of 19,143
The Pioneer SA 7800, 8800 & 9800 have the lovely Fluorescent Display Tubes with a blue tinted window and the non-switching amp design. So, lights and specs.

The SA 7500 II, 8500 II & 9500 II are not far off ( if at all ) on SQ and are priced less due to the demand for the pretty lights :). Some claim that the non switching design is the best sounding ( insert reason ) Pioneer 1970's amps, this includes the receivers from the x80 line. For me at is a close call and my be specific example dependent.

r2

In blind testing, do you think I could tell them apart driving my very efficient (modern) Klipsch RP160s?

I can just focus on sound signature, aesthetics and price since I really don't need crazy power.

May 12, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #17,237 of 19,143
So this changes things.

I just need to find an integrated amp then.

Not really. Simply ignore the tuner side and treat your receiver as an integrated. I do not use the tuner on any of my receiver. I use my Grace Digital radios as "tuners" and simply plug their out put in to either the Aux or Tape in put on a receiver.

Simple. Fun. Not a problem.

May 13, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #17,238 of 19,143
In blind testing, do you think I could tell them apart driving my very efficient (modern) Klipsch RP160s?

I can just focus on sound signature, aesthetics and price since I really don't need crazy power.

Only you can answer this, too many variables and they are your ears. Telling them apart is one thing, deciding which is best for you is another. I also find that a quick a/b (or series of back and forths) may lead to one conclusion and spending longer times getting to know components may lead to another conclusion.

Moving up a vintage line, receiver or intergrated or whatever component, is not just about power. As you move up the line build quality, features, circuit designs, etc. also improve. Even the country of assembly changes, not all vintage Japan brands made their entire lines in Japan.

Features such as phono sections, tone control circuits, number of inputs, attenuation included and if one or two steps ( useful feature, IMHO ) to list a few were price point dependent.

In receivers the quality of the tuner was/is a big factor. Only TOL included 5 gang FM sections for example.

Just my experience and IMHO,

r2

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #17,239 of 19,143
Fair enough.

I'm just trying to get a handle on what respective models' values are, so I don't overpay.

I don't expect to get a fully restored receiver for $100.

I have purchased two very nice receivers for $150 each and another for $125. They were from estate sales and were cleaned up nicely by the seller. You will know the one you want when you see it and then hear it play your music.

May 15, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #17,240 of 19,143
Scored a Sansui SR-222 mkII turntable today, I had asked about a good starter turntable on here and while I have been looking it drifted out of my priorities. My Father stepped into the breach, not really his thing, I didn't think he would have anything but "I have a good one" was his answer. A trip to His loft and out I came with the Sansui, it needs a belt and some oil and a tone arm retaining clip. Its likely to need a new cartridge, I'll take recommendations on that. It was saved it from destruction in the mid-nineties so came free and now I owe my Father a bottle of his favorite whiskey.
A little TLC and I can get some daily use.

May 15, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #17,241 of 19,143
Scored a Sansui SR-222 mkII turntable today, I had asked about a good starter turntable on here and while I have been looking it drifted out of my priorities. My Father stepped into the breach, not really his thing, I didn't think he would have anything but "I have a good one" was his answer. A trip to His loft and out I came with the Sansui, it needs a belt and some oil and a tone arm retaining clip. Its likely to need a new cartridge, I'll take recommendations on that. It was saved it from destruction in the mid-nineties so came free and now I owe my Father a bottle of his favorite whiskey.
A little TLC and I can get some daily use.

Depending on your budget Ortofon do some great carts:

https://www.ortofon.com/ortofon-2m-red-p-317-n-1579

https://www.ortofon.com/ortofon-om-5e-p-551-n-1579

You also have the uber cheap AT95e from Audio Technica which is a great little cart:

https://eu.audio-technica.com/hifi-phono/cartridges/AT95E

May 15, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #17,242 of 19,143
Thanks for the quick response, I'll have to order online but should have things sorted by the weekend.
Looking forward to it.

With a an image search I found that at the moment it has a NAGAOKA MP-10 cartridge fitted.
From the symbol of an A in circle I had no clue the companies name would begin with a letter N.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #17,243 of 19,143
I have a Technics SA-828 New class A amp and I absolutely adore it. Bought it for 150 in working condition, paid 100 to have it professionally inspected, and perpetual enjoyment ensued.

Having straight DC class A power to my T50rp's is great. It also has tonal controls but who cares, it has "dimension control". I literally get to cheat any headphone into having more soundstage. I just wish I had the actual specifications on the headphone output....or if I'll ever need another headphone amp.

My next experiment is to use Garage 1217's 1/4" to 3.5mm female attenuating adaptor for more efficient headphones. It claims it presents a 35ohm load and outputs 3ohm. Perfect for low impedance cans like the TH-X00

May 16, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #17,244 of 19,143
I have a Technics SA-828 New class A amp and I absolutely adore it. Bought it for 150 in working condition, paid 100 to have it professionally inspected, and perpetual enjoyment ensued.

Having straight DC class A power to my T50rp's is great. It also has tonal controls but who cares, it has "dimension control". I literally get to cheat any headphone into having more soundstage. I just wish I had the actual specifications on the headphone output....or if I'll ever need another headphone amp.

My next experiment is to use Garage 1217's 1/4" to 3.5mm female attenuating adaptor for more efficient headphones. It claims it presents a 35ohm load and outputs 3ohm. Perfect for low impedance cans like the TH-X00

With regard to you "may never need another amp", that may or may not be true. But. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting another amp. Later on. Down the road. Buy some music and enjoy what you have right now because the truth of audio that few want to admit is this -

With out the music, frAudiphiles (i.e., those golden eared wunder peepses that claim to hear stuff mere mortals can not) would be stuck listening to their equipment doing nothing. Listen to the music that the equipment brings to not only your ears, but all so stirs the memories that touch the heart and soul of what makes us human.

Have a great time!

May 16, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #17,245 of 19,143
With regard to you "may never need another amp", that may or may not be true. But. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting another amp. Later on. Down the road. Buy some music and enjoy what you have right now because the truth of audio that few want to admit is this -

With out the music, frAudiphiles (i.e., those golden eared wunder peepses that claim to hear stuff mere mortals can not) would be stuck listening to their equipment doing nothing. Listen to the music that the equipment brings to not only your ears, but all so stirs the memories that touch the heart and soul of what makes us human.

Have a great time!

This is good advice!

May 17, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #17,246 of 19,143
I recently picked up an immaculate 50+1 CD changer by Sony. It cost me $30 and came with a working remote and the owner's manual.

I enjoy CDs as much as I do records and "downloads". Why? Because I enjoy music. To be sure, vinyl is a tactile experience that CD comes close to and downloads can never aspire to but I do not buy music to hold but rather to hold on to. In the mind. Memories, old and yet to come make up the sound track of our lives.

A 70s era Receiver or Integrated Amp do not have CD inputs but they do have Tape and Aux inputs and that is what I use. I all so have Laser Discs and a 400 disc Sony ES Blu Ray Changer. And a 300 disc Sony CD CHanger. And a TEAC CD Recorder. And a 6 disc Onkyo CD Changer. And Four (4!) turntables (1 or 2 more on the way!). And the point of this nearly point less missive?

Physical media is here to stay but only if you want to get physical. Or some thing like that...:beyersmile:

I just ordered a FiiO X1-II because per some folks in the thread, it finally works as advertised. I ordered it in Rose Gold because it will likely wind up going to my daughter. My son has my X1-I and an iPod Nano. He listens via 'phones more than does his sister. She wanted "Beats" and I refused to buy a pair for reasons of high morality. Endorsed by a cRap fArteest? FTN of Beats and fApple.

She will get some thing from either Sennheiser or Sony.

Vintage? Old, not obsolete.

May 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #17,247 of 19,143
The belt for the sr222 arrived, so I set up everything just temporary. This thing is sweet even without finishing up on the clean lube. So if I want to run it out of my sansui g-401 and into my tube amp, do I use the tape out? on play or record?

May 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #17,248 of 19,143
The belt for the sr222 arrived, so I set up everything just temporary. This thing is sweet even without finishing up on the clean lube. So if I want to run it out of my sansui g-401 and into my tube amp, do I use the tape out? on play or record?

It would seem that would be the way to do it. Stupidly I have been using a splitter are the back of my amp, but I have to unplug the RCA's from my tube amp when playing vinyl for the signal to go to my integrated amp.

On my Marantz PM5005 it has 2 lots of outputs so the possibility to use 2 different devices, I shall test this in a couple of hourse when I get home,

May 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #17,249 of 19,143

Use "Tape - Record" (out) for a pass through signal from any input on the Sansui. If the volume, tone, or other controls have no affect then it is a pass through. This allows these old amps to serve an phono preamps and source selectors for other amps while maintaining full use of the vintage amp.

Just My Experience,

r2

May 18, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #17,250 of 19,143
I recently picked up an immaculate 50+1 CD changer by Sony. It cost me $30 and came with a working remote and the owner's manual.

I enjoy CDs as much as I do records and "downloads". Why? Because I enjoy music. To be sure, vinyl is a tactile experience that CD comes close to and downloads can never aspire to but I do not buy music to hold but rather to hold on to. In the mind. Memories, old and yet to come make up the sound track of our lives.

A 70s era Receiver or Integrated Amp do not have CD inputs but they do have Tape and Aux inputs and that is what I use. I all so have Laser Discs and a 400 disc Sony ES Blu Ray Changer. And a 300 disc Sony CD CHanger. And a TEAC CD Recorder. And a 6 disc Onkyo CD Changer. And Four (4!) turntables (1 or 2 more on the way!). And the point of this nearly point less missive?

Physical media is here to stay but only if you want to get physical. Or some thing like that...:beyersmile:

I just ordered a FiiO X1-II because per some folks in the thread, it finally works as advertised. I ordered it in Rose Gold because it will likely wind up going to my daughter. My son has my X1-I and an iPod Nano. He listens via 'phones more than does his sister. She wanted "Beats" and I refused to buy a pair for reasons of high morality. Endorsed by a cRap fArteest? FTN of Beats and fApple.

She will get some thing from either Sennheiser or Sony.

Vintage? Old, not obsolete.

The only thing that could have made this post better is if you then told your daughter to get off your lawn. "But Dad, I live here." :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back