Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #7,711 of 7,916
  Is there a phone with good audio that isnt massive! The LG V10 looks good, but its way too big for me. 

I really just need a phone that has good audio, I dont watch movies or use many apps etc. So a smaller phone is essential....I see so many people with phones that look like tablets nowadays! Not very practical :)

Axon 7 mini should be good for you, it has better sq than axon 7 and is about the same size as htc one m8

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #7,712 of 7,916
HI Iantian

Thanks...how does the Axon 7 mini compare to the HTC in general terms and sound quality?

I am wondering if others have had trouble with HTC phones? Maybe I am deluded in thinking that another brand will be more reliable, but I have not had much luck with HTC so far, otherwise I really liked the phone and you can get them used here for quite cheap, maybe £120

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #7,713 of 7,916
  HI Iantian

Thanks...how does the Axon 7 mini compare to the HTC in general terms and sound quality?

I am wondering if others have had trouble with HTC phones? Maybe I am deluded in thinking that another brand will be more reliable, but I have not had much luck with HTC so far, otherwise I really liked the phone and you can get them used here for quite cheap, maybe £120

In terms of general usage and hardware it is on par with htc one m8 and has the benefit of more ram, will also be updated to nougat in the next month or so, beta is just starting in Germany, had no issues except for some random shutdowns, though the never happened when listening to music on headphones( I listen for 1h every day and on weekends for 15-20 hours straight(only flac's) has no issues with that and still has 40% battery. Before the newest update sound would sometimes glitch on 3,5 jack, but it seems fixed now.

In my opinion axon 7 mini and rest of the audiophile phones that came out recently are in a league of their own. Let me clarify while the htc one sounded good it could not give you a perfect representation of the source file, some notes where just beyond its ability to play and some wore made horridly, not to mention musicality. The axon 7 mini can give you perfect cd source file sound without distortions or hissing etc.
I can not be happier with it so far.

If you have a chance listen to it at some store, just make sure to put hifi into super mode.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #7,715 of 7,916
It seems the ZTE axon 7 mini doesnt get great reviews? The battery life sounds pretty bad, which is quite important to me. It's a shame because otherwise it looks  good. I wonder how the battery compares to the HTC one m8?

Such a minefield trying to get the right phone!! I wish my HTC hadnt broken :)

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #7,716 of 7,916

I refuse to pay almost twice as much for a phone then I did for my Onkyo TX-DS787 AV receiver.

Way to go man!

They turned simple portable audio and multifunction devices into fashion items (with built in self destruct fuses) and they do not charge a fair price for them, instead they try to extract as huge an amount as possible from potential victims and audio enthusiasts alike.

Not a good strategy long term imho, but who of these guys thinks long term anyway?

Just my 2c.

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #7,717 of 7,916
  Way to go man!

They turned simple portable audio and multifunction devices into fashion items (with built in self destruct fuses) and they do not charge a fair price for them, instead they try to extract as huge an amount as possible from potential victims and audio enthusiasts alike.

Not a good strategy long term imho, but who of these guys thinks long term anyway?

Just my 2c.

I'll bet people would be shocked at the actual production costs vs final retail price for the Onkyo phone.

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #7,718 of 7,916
they sell product which includes R&D., brand reliability, japan grade, FW stability. they dont just sell dac opamp chips.

there is no shock when coming to manufacturing business. otherwise you might be shocked for everything that was sold in store. :wink:

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #7,719 of 7,916
I can only say that when playing back music and in general use it is better than one m8, can not compare any other options since I mostly use it for music and do my gaming on my pc. But it is dependent on workload, I have also heard it is pretty bad when gaming.

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #7,720 of 7,916
ive tested my xdp-100 with stock player and poweramp beta it looks like the rumors are right.
you get different values .

if only the stock player is able to use the hifi dac isn't it better to use an external dac like dragonfly red?

Apr 27, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #7,723 of 7,916
Does anyone know what the sound quality is like on the Moto G4 or Moto G5? I just want a budget phone as thats all I need, but I need fairly good sound when listening on headphones.

I looked at the ZTE Axon 7 mini but battery life sounds awful. I have come from an HTC one m8 but that broke.

I would like a screen that is no bigger than 5.2 inches, but preferably 5 and under :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back