AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jul 4, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #541 of 2,528
Breaking. Skylar Gray no longer with Audioquest:
Nice guy. Very sad to read this. Speaking with him at Canjam, we briefly discussed the future possibility of a "portable" can, and he said it was on the list. With his departure, any portable can Audioquest comes up with will certainly not have Skylar's tuning. Now I absolutely have to get the Nightowl or Nighthawks. Probably my favorite headphones to date other than the Abyss Phi, but these cost way less, don't way several pounds, and can be used on the go, as long as you don't mind walking around wearing a halo. I absolutely have to move up my timeline to make sure I get a pair now!

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #542 of 2,528
I really enjoy the ability to plug these straight into my iPhone 6s and not worry about any attachments. Sure they sound better off my iDSD micro but when walking around the house cleaning, I appreciate the simplicity.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #543 of 2,528
I really enjoy the ability to plug these straight into my iPhone 6s and not worry about any attachments. Sure they sound better off my iDSD micro but when walking around the house cleaning, I appreciate the simplicity.
Understandable, but a drgonfly DAC with it's super small footprint is nearly just as convenient. Waiting for my Nightowl to come in today. My 15month old DFR is anxiously awaiting it's new friend to play with. All supervised by Tidal HiFi or HD Tracks 24/96 audio

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #544 of 2,528
Understandable, but a drgonfly DAC with it's super small footprint is nearly just as convenient. Waiting for my Nightowl to come in today. My 15month old DFR is anxiously awaiting it's new friend to play with. All supervised by Today HiFi or HAD Tracks 24/96 audio
True. I just don't have the funds for a DFR yet...

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #546 of 2,528
great to finally see some measurements:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...wk-alternate-pad-impressions-and-measurements

hopefully, we can now create better EQ filters -- as so far i have not been able to manually come up with filters that sounded right to me
He,he,he......... I couldn't remember why I became disinterested in taking time to read 'Inner Fidelity' for a while now, until I went there to browse this thread...

Actually, I didn't have to read too far when I came across the infamous "Too Dark sounding" comment .,This impression rarely has anything to do with how well recorded Acoustic music sounds, to which I normally think "Oh, you mean the sound isn't a bit forward & you're not that interested in hearing more dimensional depth in the music" (Characteristics that aren't usually strong suits of 'Non' Acoustic recorded music).

Seriously, though.... You (& I'm referring to many listeners here) don't need to see measurements to tell you how the different earpads filter the sound of what you're listening to slightly. MS(or the AQ silliness of calling them US) pads will absorb some direct sound of what your listening to ,which may or may not, be a good thing for how the recording sounds to you. If you like how the music "normally" sounds to you through headphones you're probably just fine w/ the Leather pads. Just think of the pads as "filters" .

Personally, I really feel both the NH & NO are significantly better sounding Hps (It's an abbreviation, not a WORD!!!!: Invest in a Dictionary & stop this 'Bot' spelling correction nonsense) w/ the Audeze LCD MS pads on them. I was pretty disappointed that the US pads are the same thickness as the Leather pads, & as such didn't give me the amount of Orchestral shading & imaging as the MS pads (It's not even close)

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #548 of 2,528
Just picked up a pair. How long can I expect the chemical smell to hang around for?

The "smell" stays... forever.

I don't know what it is, but I wouldn't call it chemicals. It's not sharp or pungent, so I don't mind it.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #550 of 2,528
I personally think the aroma is due to the organic plant matter they use in the liquid wood mixture.

Like I said, it doesn't smell like industrial chemicals to me.

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #551 of 2,528
Kinder weird how Skylar just left. I've always felt the NH and NO was a rushed product. Maybe he's made enough money to go solo and to take time(at least 5 years) to perfect a driver and enclosure.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #553 of 2,528
sounds weird but I really like the smell!

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #554 of 2,528
Jul 11, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #555 of 2,528
I personally think the aroma is due to the organic plant matter they use in the liquid wood mixture.

Like I said, it doesn't smell like industrial chemicals to me.
Yup...... The faint 'odor' definitely reminds me of the smell you'll notice from some live plants or trees.

Some woods will retain their distinctive 'smell' until they've been lacquered(which basically seals the smell in). Being that this "organic liquid material" becomes part of what it's being mixed with to create it you're not sealing in the smell( as it's not necessary to seal the mix further for physical purposes)

(I took a Guitar Building Course (half a lifetime ago))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back