AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 4, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #6,856 of 10,194
Overall quality is subjective and depending on who you ask, but I think the quality is outstanding..........for gaming I use them in a game called Elder Scrolls Online and they're working great with positional queues.

Agreed! The Nighthawk is a stellar choice for gamers; it projects a full, visceral, nuanced sound. Spatial cues seem natural to me and well-balanced; its soundstage is neither too wide (like the Hd800), nor is it in the least bit constricted (like many closed-back headphones.) Moreover, the Nighthawk is exceptionally comfortable. Gamers attend: The Nighthawk is hard to beat (at any price point) with regard to comfort. Not everyone here will agree with my last point, but the treble never strikes discordant, strident, or overly sibilant notes. Nor does it exacerbate my tinnitus or cause me any other sort of hearing fatigue, even after 4 hours of mixed usage. After 7 months of ownership, my enthusiasm for the Nighthawk has not waned in the least. They are great headphones, especially if you can snag them for a discount.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #6,857 of 10,194
Must be hidden somewhere but unable to find it under online store, headphones, audio accessories...can I trouble you for a link?

How's are you liking the USpads vs the stock?

I called Needle Doctor, spoke to a human and then went into the store to pick them when they arrived. They called me to let me know when they had arrived. Old school... :L3000:

How am I liking them? So far, I'm not loving the US pads.

Yes, they cleaned-up the upper-bass / lower-mid bloom on some problematic recordings (quite well, actually), but lost the magic that made me fall in love with the 'Hawks with a lot of other music.

I am still listening, but my impression is that the 'Hawks with the Ultra Suede pads are somewhat lifeless.

I am moving onto the Protein Leather pads (I have to work most the weekend), so I will get some good listening time in.

Part of my problem is my home rig crushes and destroys my work rig, so I am comparing apples to oranges (I spend a lot of time with headphones on - at home and at work).

More to follow...

May 6, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #6,858 of 10,194
I called Needle Doctor, spoke to a human and then went into the store to pick them when they arrived. They called me to let me know when they had arrived. Old school... :L3000:

Yes, they cleaned-up the upper-bass / lower-mid bloom on some problematic recordings (quite well, actually), but lost the magic that made me fall in love with the 'Hawks with a lot of other music.

I am still listening, but my impression is that the 'Hawks with the Ultra Suede pads are somewhat lifeless.

I am moving onto the Protein Leather pads (I have to work most the weekend), so I will get some good listening time in.

Part of my problem is my home rig crushes and destroys my work rig, so I am comparing apples to oranges (I spend a lot of time with headphones on - at home and at work).

More to follow...

Hey Krutsch, thanks so much for your reply, really appreciated! I gather AQ has not yet publicly released the USpads for online purchase. Do let us know more impressions whenever you have the time :beerchug:

May 6, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #6,859 of 10,194

More to follow...

I discovered the same thing; initially, I wanted to clean up the NIghhawk's mid-bass, but the US pads robbed the Nighthawk of its sumptuous, full-bodied voicing. I tried the Protein pads too, but in the end, I went back to the OEM pads. I now accept that a smooth, full-bodied, analogesque sound-signature comes with tradeoffs, and I'm genuinely thankful for the Nighthawk's many unique virtues. So many headphones exaggerate the presence and treble regions; in fact, I used to really like those brighter, shoutier, clinical-sounding type of headphones, but thanks to the NIghtawk, many of those headphones now sound unnatural to me.

May 6, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #6,860 of 10,194
I discovered the same thing; initially, I wanted to clean up the NIghhawk's mid-bass, but the US pads robbed the Nighthawk of its sumptuous, full-bodied voicing. I tried the Protein pads too, but in the end, I went back to the OEM pads. I now accept that a smooth, full-bodied, analogesque sound-signature comes with tradeoffs, and I'm genuinely thankful for the Nighthawk's many unique virtues. So many headphones exaggerate the presence and treble regions; in fact, I used to really like those brighter, shoutier, clinical-sounding type of headphones, but thanks to the NIghtawk, many of those headphones now sound unnatural to me.

Interesting.

I have given up on finding a general, all-around set of 'phones. As I type this, I am listening to my HD-650s with my vinyl playback chain (1976 US release of Bowie's Changes One). None of my cans work as well with the Woo OTL + Rega phono stage as my 650s; especially with older recordings.

Maybe it's the music to which I listen, but I've concluded that the HD-650 is my favorite set of cans, even though I routinely use others for different genres (e.g. Nighthawks for classic rock, Sony MDR-Z7s for electronica, hip-hop and large scale classical, HD-700s for a lot of jazz and classical and, believe it or not, Grado for acoustic and solo classical strings).

May 6, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #6,861 of 10,194
Interesting.

I have given up on finding a general, all-around set of 'phones. As I type this, I am listening to my HD-650s with my vinyl playback chain (1976 US release of Bowie's Changes One). None of my cans work as well with the Woo OTL + Rega phono stage as my 650s; especially with older recordings.

Maybe it's the music to which I listen, but I've concluded that the HD-650 is my favorite set of cans, even though I routinely use others for different genres (e.g. Nighthawks for classic rock, Sony MDR-Z7s for electronica, hip-hop and large scale classical, HD-700s for a lot of jazz and classical and, believe it or not, Grado for acoustic and solo classical strings).

I had trouble finding an all-rounder headphone myself, personally found it in the DT 1990, I do suggest listening to one if you ever have the chance, never owned a headphone that sounds so good across so many uses and genres. I did find the HD 650 to sound really good on LP's and old recordings myself, actually became like a different headphone. I actually mainly used the Nighthawks for gaming as I found their good imaging did well there and I used them a lot for classic rock and certain electronic.

May 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #6,862 of 10,194

The Protein Leather pads are "hot", if I can use that term, sound-wise. Everything is loud and fatiguing, so far.

I am going to keep going with these to see if my ears adjust from the Ultra Suede pads but, wow... I keep turning down the volume.

May 14, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #6,864 of 10,194
I've purchased both newest sets of pads earlier this year (Microsuede and Protein Leather). In the end, I think the Hybrid pads are the best, most natural sounding. I thought the Microsuede sounded impressively 'airy' at first, but before long I was left missing the bass and feeling like the mids and highs are a bit too etched. I was pretty disappointed with the Protein Leather pads: they sound closed in, fatiguing and slightly wonky to me. Despite trying them for hours, I never found them natural sounding.

On another note, I recently had a chance to try out two headphones that could potentially replace the NH as my daily driver: the HD650 and the Elear. Mind you, this came at a time when I felt I was getting tired of the NH sound. I was expecting the HD650 to at least "match" the NH, and the Elear to be a step above the NH. Instead, I found the HD650 underwhelming and the Elear as more of a side-grade than anything (better in some areas, but comes with its own set of flaws). I would've maybe considered switching if the Elear was lighter / more comfortable and a couple hundred dollars cheaper ($CAD). As it is, I came back home with a renewed appreciation for the NH !

May 14, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #6,865 of 10,194
I had similar experience with headphones and DAC/amps. Time to time I try something else out of curiosity, but I always end up going back to my Mojo-NH combo. At this or similar price point there are only side-grades in best case. I should probably spend 2-3 times more to experience significant improvement, and not just try a 'different taste' which I like or dislike, but never like more than NH.
It is however quite good to audition different gear, as my appreciation to Mojo-NH renews each time. (Almost feels like a wallet-friendly upgrade. :) ) I just really like NH's organic and natural sound with that good-bodied bass which is great for my music preference.

Last weekend I showed the NH to my brother, who is a violin player in an orchestra and also music teacher. He was never into HQ audio, never tried quality headphones, so I was really interested how he reacts to the NH. I showed him some binaural classical music and he was really impressed. He said, it is almost more enjoyable than live performance, as he can hear all the instruments clearly and separately. He said it sounds natural, realistic and very enjoyable. The only critic he said was that there is slightly more bass than you would hear in a live performance. (I said, there would probably be other headphones better suited for that purpose, but I love my bass on the NH, and I rarely listen to classical.) Anyway, I just thought I share that my HQ-audio virgin, musician brother did appreciate NH's (and Mojo's) abilities, even though he has got quite picky ears. :)

May 14, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #6,866 of 10,194
I own the Old Nighthawk and the Carbons. I really don't like the Mojo paring the Mojo is too compressed, lacking bass weight for the Nighthawk. I think the Nighthawk works better with a hard slamming amp like the Jot.

May 14, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #6,867 of 10,194
I own the Old Nighthawk and the Carbons. I really don't like the Mojo paring the Mojo is too compressed, lacking bass weight for the Nighthawk. I think the Nighthawk works better with a hard slamming amp like the Jot.

There is nothing wrong with personal preference, but Mojo+NH can't be that bad, if both the designer of Mojo and the designer of Nighthawks admittedly like it. (Just saying.)

May 14, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #6,868 of 10,194
People like different things. I find the Nighthawk to pair with amps that have better body, more punchy fairly neutral amps.

The Mojo is quite lean, good extension in the bass but not impactful at all, almost anemic and lacking balls. The Mojo also has some dynamic compression going on which doesn't work with the warm Nighthawk.

Mimby and Jot is one of the best Nighthawk paring I've heard.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #6,870 of 10,194
I don't know 'bout no Mojo, but I can say that the iDSD Micro + iCan Pro + Nighthawk is a beast of a rig. My TEAC 503 seems just a bit too laid back for the NH, but the iDSD kicks hard, love it.

As I've said in earlier posts, I was absolutely blown away by the sound from iDSD Micro and Nighthawks. For my tastes, they really bring out the best in each other - would love to hear the 'hawks on the famed Violectric or WA amps though. One day, perhaps.....For now, absolutely loving the iCan Micro and 'hawks (currently listening to Kettel as I type. Saw it recommended for those who find Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92 unmatchable. It doesn't match, but is kind of interesting listen and of course sounds spacious and sublime on this modest little rig!)

Many many people love the Mojo/Nighthawks combo though - we all hear differently and we all different tastes, that's why there are so many and various amps, DACS and cans available!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back