Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #4,621 of 6,385
I probably used the wrong expression there, but I don't think I'm disagreeing with what you're saying. It's just that relative to the LCD2, I found the more noticeable improvements to be in detail, soundstage and bass speed (got my HD800 when I want those). I was hoping for a bigger jump in mids in terms of lushness/richness, and I just can't help but wonder what the mids of a pre-fazor, pre-2016 LCD2/3 would sound like. I won't mind sacrificing air, soundstage, etc. for richer mids.

That said, I'll invest more time with the LCD3 so I can really get a better idea of how it sounds. My brain probably needs much more time to burn in too.

If you won't mind sacrificing a bit of air, details, bite, soundstage, etc. for richer mids, a pre-fazor LCD2/3 are the headphones to choose.

Jul 22, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #4,622 of 6,385
How does the LCD-3 compare to the LCD-4 for EDM, Rock, Movies and gaming?

There's a massive price difference (here in Australia anyway) between the two, but I honestly prefer the look of the LCD-3 better but we all know it's the sound that counts.

So is bass etc better on the 3's compared to the 4's? For what I would use them for as mentioned above?

LCD4 is the better overall headphone IMO. The only aspect that the LCD3 is (maybe) better at in my opinion is the mids which are a bit warmer and creamer. The bass on the LCD4 is really good and better than all revisions of the LCD2/3/X. The LCD4 needs a good amount of power to shine, more than LCD2/3.

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #4,623 of 6,385
Completely different sound signatures.
Th900 bass is pin precise, controlled, fast and has a good deal of impact.
LCD 3 bass is boomy in comparison, similarly fast and more defined imo.

After listening to the LCD 3, TH900 feels like not having mids at all. Male voices sound feminized in the TH900. LCD 3 has a much more natural midrange with more "real" male vocals. Also TH900 is very sibilant in the upper midrange compared to LCD 3.

TH900 treble is what is considered hot and spiky. LCD 3 treble is relatively laid back

Those are the reasons I'm interested in the LCD-3. It is different enough from TH900 to warrant buying it.

TH900 is great with multimedia content and certain types of music, but I feel LCD-3 would be better overall for just music listening.

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #4,624 of 6,385
If you won't mind sacrificing a bit of air, details, bite, soundstage, etc. for richer mids, a pre-fazor LCD2/3 are the headphones to choose.

That's precisely what I was afraid of. I got the 2016 LCD3 just to be on the safe side of potential driver failures, and based on some impressions indicating the lush mids still are present despite the driver update and initial concerns.

Looks like I will be hunting for a pre-fazor LCD3

Jul 24, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #4,625 of 6,385
When you go up to the LCD-3, you need better gear. Also the added treble detail may take away from the perceived mids experience vs the LCD-2

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #4,626 of 6,385
When you go up to the LCD-3, you need better gear. Also the added treble detail may take away from the perceived mids experience vs the LCD-2

I was hoping the NFB28 would provide enough quality power until I gather enough funds to upgrade. I chose upgrading my headphone first, hoping for more noticeable improvements/changes over a new amp.

That said, I just connected a Burson Cable+ Pro between my Bimby and NFB28 and I am really appreciating the sonic changes. So far, I believe the cable shaves off a bit of the highs, brings the mids forward and perhaps adds a bit to the lows. It is too early to tell if what I hear are improvements or a mere change in EQ. Either way, the overall sound sig I'm hearing now is right up my Alley - I'm not complaining.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #4,627 of 6,385
After a few hours with a LCD-3C my thoughts compared to the LCD 2.2 PF are as follows: bass isn't as weighty/impactful, slightly brighter, impressive detail retrival, better imaging, wider soundstage, treble not as rolled off, less forward. The better technical headphone but not as fun to listen to. I mostly listen to modern mainstream recordings and am using a V200, so that could explain it. But I don't want to mess around with different amps when deciding on headphones can be so time consuming.

This is all from memory, as I sold my LCD 2.2 PF months ago. I regreted it almost as soon as I sold them, and will be looking to pick up a pair to directly compare. I have a feeling I may be one of those in the minority of preferring the LCD 2.2 PF. We'll see once I have a chance to directly compare, as memory is never too reliable when it comes to these matters.

I'm also very sensitive to treble and like a very specific sound signature. This is why I think after I get my hands on an LCD 2.2 (again), I may be done for a good while. There's very few headphones that fit the bill.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #4,628 of 6,385
Let me preface this by saying that I know that any headphone will benefit from more/better amplification. So with that said, I have an AK380 with the AK380 amp. Will this to drive the LCD2 or LCD3 sufficiently?

Thanks.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #4,629 of 6,385
Let me preface this by saying that I know that any headphone will benefit from more/better amplification. So with that said, I have an AK380 with the AK380 amp. Will this to drive the LCD2 or LCD3 sufficiently?

Thanks.
I have tried LCD 3 with DX200 which is supposed to be more poweful than AK380, it sounds awful out of a DAP. No control on bass, small soundstage etc. It gets loud at 80/150 volume with DX200

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #4,631 of 6,385
For what its worth, I purchased LCD3 mid 2013 then a year later (2014) sent them in for the fazor upgrade so I don't know where that puts them in regards to comparing with other LCDFs. They sent FR charts for each so I can see the fazor change but it looks more significant on the chart than in reality. I have never had any issues whatsoever and I still find them amazingly satisfying. I can't help but be interested when I read here about newer TOTL headphones - HE1000, Utopia, LCD4 but I would have to sell my LCD3s to buy another set of headphones and I am truly afraid that I will regret it. It is pretty rare for me to be so continuously satisfied with any audio gear but between my DNA Stratus amp and the LCD3s, I am surprisingly content. I don't think I will spring for another high end pair of phones until I can afford to do so while hanging on to the LCD3s.

Sep 2, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #4,632 of 6,385
For what its worth, I purchased LCD3 mid 2013 then a year later (2014) sent them in for the fazor upgrade so I don't know where that puts them in regards to comparing with other LCDFs. They sent FR charts for each so I can see the fazor change but it looks more significant on the chart than in reality. I have never had any issues whatsoever and I still find them amazingly satisfying. I can't help but be interested when I read here about newer TOTL headphones - HE1000, Utopia, LCD4 but I would have to sell my LCD3s to buy another set of headphones and I am truly afraid that I will regret it. It is pretty rare for me to be so continuously satisfied with any audio gear but between my DNA Stratus amp and the LCD3s, I am surprisingly content. I don't think I will spring for another high end pair of phones until I can afford to do so while hanging on to the LCD3s.
I want the LCD-4's but like you I don't want to give up my LCD-3's (2016) just yet. The only other headphones I have that cost more is my HE-1000 V2's and they are a totally different sounding headphone. The HE-1000's are a step up from the LCD-3's. But the LCD-3's are enjoyable enough to have both in my headphone collection. In the end, I know I will end up selling off my LCD-3s to get the LCD-4's in my pursuit for the ultimate sound. But at this level it really does get to a point of diminishing returns. So I'm in no rush to purchase the LCD-4's.

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #4,633 of 6,385
Yall would be in no rush even after ordering the LCD 4. Apparently, it takes 4-5 weeks after ordering to get one of them hand made from scratch. I am 3 weeks into my LCD 4 order.

Also in my opinion, LCD 4 is a complete game changer. It's miles ahead of the LCD 3 in terms of SQ.

LCD 3 has one very annoying weaknesses - Too intimate vocals; Vocals are too close to you. LCD 4 changes this.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #4,634 of 6,385
Does this image look like a razor? Can you tell by the picture? I feel the ridges on the inside on the ear cup.

I bought this from a guy who advertised it as a mint "10" pre fazor model. Just want to know before I give bat crazy on him. Thanks.

IMG_8082.JPG

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #4,635 of 6,385
Yall would be in no rush even after ordering the LCD 4. Apparently, it takes 4-5 weeks after ordering to get one of them hand made from scratch. I am 3 weeks into my LCD 4 order.

Also in my opinion, LCD 4 is a complete game changer. It's miles ahead of the LCD 3 in terms of SQ.

LCD 3 has one very annoying weaknesses - Too intimate vocals; Vocals are too close to you. LCD 4 changes this.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the day I become an LCD-4 owner. The LCD-3's will tide me over until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back