The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 15, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #826 of 23,542
Jun 15, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #827 of 23,542
I don't know why but I can't see the review..............only the introduction ending with the picture.

I'm viewing from a desktop, and the review's there. Packaging, bass to treble, comparisons, and lots of pictures that take time to load.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #828 of 23,542
I'm viewing from a desktop, and the review's there. Packaging, bass to treble, comparisons, and lots of pictures that take time to load.

I am also viewing from a desktop, but the page refused to load anything beyond the first picture. I dunno...........Maybe the pix are too large?

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #829 of 23,542
The A18 makes cable differences quite noticeable, it will be worth it.

So i had an old pair of Linum BAX cables that I decided to try with my A18... yeah cable does make a difference. The Linum chopped off the bass impact...hmm... that just threw in a variable to my build... :confused:

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #830 of 23,542
I notice in the review "*Quick Note: 64 Audio tunes the U18 Tzar using Comply T-500 isolation tips. Thusly, to hear the U18 at their best, you should have the Comply tips on. With silicon tips, the U18 sounds super bright, and not as enjoyable as when Comply tips are on them.*".

However, T-500 is not as durable as silicon tips. Anyone has some good suggestions for the tips?

Jun 17, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #831 of 23,542
I notice in the review "*Quick Note: 64 Audio tunes the U18 Tzar using Comply T-500 isolation tips. Thusly, to hear the U18 at their best, you should have the Comply tips on. With silicon tips, the U18 sounds super bright, and not as enjoyable as when Comply tips are on them.*".

However, T-500 is not as durable as silicon tips. Anyone has some good suggestions for the tips?
Some people like it veey bright. Yes comply can lower the treble.

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #832 of 23,542
Really excited to be given the opportunity to review the U18 Tzar and the Fourté. Fourté review is not live yet, but my U18 review can be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/64-audio-u18-tzar.22420/reviews. The future is bright for 64, and I'm very excited for it

We are awaiting for your Fourte review with a more indeph comparaison between the U18 and the Fourté :blush:.

Also I was surprised when I read "The U18’s body fits into the curvature of your ear, while the Fourté does not fit as tightly. The Fourté has a thicker body, ". Indeed, when I had a chat with 64Audio, they told me that the U18 and Fourte share the same size and body ! so, this was I guess wrong information, and this is a +1 for the U18 !

I case, at Canjam London, I come to the conclusion that I prefer the U18 to the Fourté, do you believe that the Custom A18 can be even better than the U18 ?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #833 of 23,542
The A18 makes cable differences quite noticeable, it will be worth it.
Just have bought Brise Audio UPG001Ref..Sound great on the A18:beyersmile::beyersmile:
FWBbXv1h.jpg

Jun 18, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #834 of 23,542
We are awaiting for your Fourte review with a more indeph comparaison between the U18 and the Fourté :blush:.

Also I was surprised when I read "The U18’s body fits into the curvature of your ear, while the Fourté does not fit as tightly. The Fourté has a thicker body, ". Indeed, when I had a chat with 64Audio, they told me that the U18 and Fourte share the same size and body ! so, this was I guess wrong information, and this is a +1 for the U18 !

I case, at Canjam London, I come to the conclusion that I prefer the U18 to the Fourté, do you believe that the Custom A18 can be even better than the U18 ?

I will dive deeper into the comparison in my Fourté review. As far as the bodies, I will reach out to 64 to make sure my statement is correct, but they sure fit differently as far as I can feel. Theoretically, the A18 and the U18 should sound exactly the same.

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #835 of 23,542

My take on custom vs. universal is that if all things are equal in build, then the custom with the better fit will be more consistent in SQ not requiring adjustments to get the best SQ. Therefore, by default, unless you have perfect ears for the universals, it should sound better most of the time. The other thing that I have found in comparing universals with customs is that the customs having a tighter seal seem to dig deeper and extend further both directions pulling more of the subtle sounds that you might not get without a perfect seal. Therefore, I hear more sub bass rumble as well as more texturing. I also hear more treble extension that leads to a more detailed sound. Probably should preface this with the fact that my ears do not play nicely with universals for the most part with a few exceptions like the Fourte'.

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #836 of 23,542
My take on custom vs. universal is that if all things are equal in build, then the custom with the better fit will be more consistent in SQ not requiring adjustments to get the best SQ. Therefore, by default, unless you have perfect ears for the universals, it should sound better most of the time. The other thing that I have found in comparing universals with customs is that the customs having a tighter seal seem to dig deeper and extend further both directions pulling more of the subtle sounds that you might not get without a perfect seal. Therefore, I hear more sub bass rumble as well as more texturing. I also hear more treble extension that leads to a more detailed sound. Probably should preface this with the fact that my ears do not play nicely with universals for the most part with a few exceptions like the Fourte'.

My take is that I always get more bass (quantity) and lesser trebles (quantity and extention) in my customs than the universal demoes or universal equivalents, without exception. The customs usually roughly sound like the universal on complys. Details are usually more or less the same, with customs getting a tiny bit more details in bass while universals get a tiny bit more details and air up top. Caveat is I never get too much of a problem fitting any universals into my ears no matter how finicky the fit is as others had reported, so I guess I have some universals-friendly ears on my noggin. YMMV.

In general I'm not too fond of customs. I do not need THAT extra bit of isolation, and I do want to lure people into the hobby by letting them hear my gears.

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #837 of 23,542
Looking at the 64 Audio website tonight I noticed some great B-Stock deals, including the their new TOTL Flagship models, the Tia Forte and U18 Tzar. The Tia Fourte is over $1,000 off!

Tia Fourte | $2520
U18 Tzar | $2099
U12 | $1120
... and so on down most of the product line.

FYI, most models show "Less than 5 left".

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #839 of 23,542
Just a quick input, but I do feel that even though you may have a perfect fit with universals, the CIEM will still provide a better fit due to universal iems having extra issues with resonance (can't remember the exact term), leading to extra, unnatural treble response, etc. For the most part universals are fine though, so convenient.

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #840 of 23,542
Looking at the 64 Audio website tonight I noticed some great B-Stock deals, including the their new TOTL Flagship models, the Tia Forte and U18 Tzar. The Tia Fourte is over $1,000 off!

Tia Fourte | $2520
U18 Tzar | $2099
U12 | $1120
... and so on down most of the product line.

FYI, most models show "Less than 5 left".

$2k U18 is a crazy good deal for what these have to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back