The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 8, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #796 of 23,533
I've been listening to my Fourte's about 4 hours per day since I received them on May 9. I am very, very impressed. They best my Andromedas by every stretch of the imagination, and have the best tone of any transducer I've ever heard (including my very very modded HE-6, my A-grade 2010 LCD-2's, and my Magnepan 3.6R's). Honestly they make me wonder how much better IEM sound can ever be. The bass is unreal, so beautifully powerful and textured. The treble supremely well-extended, airy, and a very intimate, but laid back presentation, despite being highly resolving and offering spectacular soundstage width and depth. The mids are very lush and rich, and despite the high amount of detail, the fourte's never present it in a glaringly obvious or unflattering way. The result is a highly cohesive, honest, and yet also somewhat forgiving signature which leaves me without doubt that any musical information is left out or obfuscated. Finally I can simply sit back and listen without feeling the need to critique technicalities and tone. The fourte just works, and gets out of the way of the music. I can't wait to see how it scales.

Interestingly enough, I also have found that mixing and mastering with the Fourte's gives me more consistent results when transitioning to various speaker systems. The DD bass driver really gives subwoofer-like performance. They'll serve my freelancing very well, and the ability to reliably mix out and about is completely unprecedented for me.

On a side note I preferred it to every other IEM I auditioned at CanJam SoCal 2017 (which included the entire Campfire, Noble, JH, UE and 64 lineup). I can see, however, how some people would prefer the Tzar's with their slightly more luminous and vibrant signature. I am simply addicted to the warm, analogue type sound that comes out of the fourtes, and I felt the macrodynamics were superior to the 18's, especially in the bass. The Tzars give the impression of greater resolution at first listen, but I've found this difference to be mostly related to the tonal balance, with resolution being very similar. The 18's maybe have slightly faster decay in the bass, but I find the Fourte bass to feel more like actual bass in an open acoustic environment. I can't really say that about any other IEM I've heard to date.

Your 18/Fourte comparisons are spot-on. I would only add that the 18 is a bit faster sounding especially with regard to rhythm/timbre. Thank you for the contribution and I would love to hear more from a professional such as yourself in the future.

Jun 8, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #797 of 23,533
I'm not sure if I get a chance to test Fourte, and going by memory from CanJam NYC where I heard their pre-production TIA Fourte model (not a final tuning) is not reliable. I'm not sure which gold plated hybrid cable you have in mind, and based on everything I have tested no two cables with a same listed material from different companies sound the same. Based on your sound preference, I think we are aligned. Because with Fourte you don't have a flexibility of exchanging the modules, maybe A/U18 will be a better solution for you? So, as I mentioned before, M20 module will be your preference. Start with 64audio new stock redesigned cable. It actually pairs up really good with U18. If you want to upgrade, PWA No5 pure copper is under $150 and definitely a step up because you will loose a little bit of soundstage width going from M15 to M20 (M20 has more isolation and a single vent vs M15 with less isolation and dual vent port). No5 gives you back some of the soundstage width. So, start with a stock cable before you even consider any upgrade. If you planning to buy gold plated hybrid just for U/A18, I would probably look into pure copper first. I briefly tested U18 with the latest HanSoundAudio Aurora gold plated/silver hybrid, and it was a bit too bright for my taste.
I bought a plussound exo gold plated hybrid, and they just shipped it today. Actually i didn't plan to get a a18 or fourte before i bought this cable. Actually i bought it for w900. Maybe i will get a a18 because changing modules like you said. It will be my first ciem :).

Jun 8, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #798 of 23,533
Jun 9, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #799 of 23,533
Can't speak about Fourte, but can tell you about U18 where the key is choosing the right module. If you want a more neutral bass and more air in treble, go with M15. If you prefer a lifted low end (very well controlled articulate boost) and tamed treble peaks - M20 is your friend. The change between modules is real, not subtle, and if you are sensitive to sibilance then M20 is the way to go. Included cable is also great to keep upper frequencies under control, you wouldn't want 1960 cable with these :wink: But, switching to pure copper (No5 is my favorite with U18) adds more texture to low end, and smooths out treble a little more, while expanding the soundstage (U18+M20+No5 soundstage expansion is very impressive for IEM).

Sorry but I can't tell if you are joking re whether the no5 is better than the 1960's with the U18? I currently own both cables, my intention was to buy another 1960's 2 or 4 wire once I get the Fourte or A18 (my currently 1960's is married to my Zeus XRA), but it would be interesting to know if you think the no 5 (which is currently sleeping in my draw at home) would actually be a better match than 1960's.

thanks.

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #800 of 23,533
Sorry but I can't tell if you are joking re whether the no5 is better than the 1960's with the U18? I currently own both cables, my intention was to buy another 1960's 2 or 4 wire once I get the Fourte or A18 (my currently 1960's is married to my Zeus XRA), but it would be interesting to know if you think the no 5 (which is currently sleeping in my draw at home) would actually be a better match than 1960's.

thanks.

Seems to me he's saying that the No.5 works better because the treble is more smooth and controlled and therefore tames the slightly edgy A18 treble, while on the 1960 its the opposite and the brightness could cause issues with the A18.

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #801 of 23,533

thanks.

I can attest to pairing the U18 with pure metal cables - pure copper or pure silver both do well. I have tried with my vast arsenal of 2pin cables (all 2.5mm terminated) and including anything you can think of (Plussound/Whiplash/Effect/Brise/ALO, GPS, GPC, SPC, GPH, hybrids, Tri-metal, T-metal etc) and the keeper, and in fact the one which sounds most "right" to me, is the Effect Audio Ares II+ (and actually on par with my Brise Audio 4.4mm SQ wise but the Ares is way more handy and looks like the long lost twin of the U18 with the 18's red/copper color body). The mixed/plated cables with different metals all adds in different degrees of unnatural artifacts to the sound (except perhaps my plussound silver-gold).

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #802 of 23,533
I can attest to pairing the U18 with pure metal cables - pure copper or pure silver both do well. I have tried with my vast arsenal of 2pin cables (all 2.5mm terminated) and including anything you can think of (Plussound/Whiplash/Effect/Brise/ALO, GPS, GPC, SPC, GPH, hybrids, Tri-metal, T-metal etc) and the keeper, and in fact the one which sounds most "right" to me, is the Effect Audio Ares II+ (and actually on par with my Brise Audio 4.4mm SQ wise but the Ares is way more handy and looks like the long lost twin of the U18 with the 18's red/copper color body). The mixed/plated cables with different metals all adds in different degrees of unnatural artifacts to the sound (except perhaps my plussound silver-gold).

Nice to see that some of the cheaper upgrade cables (Ares II+, PW #5) pair well with the A18 with its killer price.

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #803 of 23,533
Nice to see that some of the cheaper upgrade cables (Ares II+, PW #5) pair well with the A18 with its killer price.

It is always in my humble view that while among other things (iems, players, amps etc) costs usually means better technicalities and more likely than not better quality, this is not the case in cables, where costs is only directly proportional to the relative costs of gold>>>>>>>>>>>silver>>copper which does not necessarily translate to sound quality. It all (and more) comes down to synergy, no absolute winner.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #804 of 23,533

thanks.

As you're well aware, it's not about the price of the cable but the synergy of pair up based on the signature of the C/IEM and your source driving it - cable is just a link between those two. I'm a big fan of both 2wire and 4wire 1960, and have reviewed it in details, you can check out the write up on my blog as well as see mentioning of pair up in other c/iem reviews I posted on HF. Currently, I prefer 4wire with W900 and 2wire with Zeus XRA. With U18, still joggling between No5, Ares II, and Zen pure copper cables, which btw all have a slightly different sound characteristics. All a matter of personal preference, of course! As I'm starting to work on my U18 review now and getting more in depth with testing, I will dedicate a section to cables. I had some fun cable rolling last night :wink:

64audio_u18-x13.jpg

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #805 of 23,533
As you're well aware, it's not about the price of the cable but the synergy of pair up based on the signature of the C/IEM and your source driving it - cable is just a link between those two. I'm a big fan of both 2wire and 4wire 1960, and have reviewed it in details, you can check out the write up on my blog as well as see mentioning of pair up in other c/iem reviews I posted on HF. Currently, I prefer 4wire with W900 and 2wire with Zeus XRA. With U18, still joggling between No5, Ares II, and Zen pure copper cables, which btw all have a slightly different sound characteristics. All a matter of personal preference, of course! As I'm starting to work on my U18 review now and getting more in depth with testing, I will dedicate a section to cables. I had some fun cable rolling last night :wink:

Thanks for the input everyone. The most likely scenario is that I will get the Tia Forte first, and potentially the A18 later in the year if I like the technical capabilities of the Fourte. Already having the Zeus and still really enjoying them immensely I figure the Fourte will better compliment the Zeus, whereas the A18 may less compliment the Zeus, but rather potentially replace it.

Has anyone tried the no5 cable with the Tia Forte? Good synergy? Better than 1960's with Fourte?

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #806 of 23,533

Careful with cable rolling on this one................CM 2-pin sockets are not exactly known for robustness in case of repeated plug in and out. Now that I got settled with the Ares II+ I have some reservations on pulling it out again.........:ksc75smile:

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #807 of 23,533
So detachable cable means detach 4 times.

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #808 of 23,533
Careful with cable rolling on this one................CM 2-pin sockets are not exactly known for robustness in case of repeated plug in and out. Now that I got settled with the Ares II+ I have some reservations on pulling it out again.........:ksc75smile:

It handled it like a champ, but of course it's a one time only cable rolling event. I'm not gonna push my luck :wink:

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #809 of 23,533
So detachable cable means detach 4 times.

I guess if you ask any manufacturer out there they'd say the detachable cable feature is for you to swap out a broken cable in a year or 2 thereby extending its longetivity, not doing cable rolling (like we all do) day in day out :deadhorse:

I have very bad experience of a CM's socket getting too loose to hold any cable in place and its just out of warranty. But other than that I do prefer 2pins to mmcx for its better perceived security.

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #810 of 23,533
I guess if you ask any manufacturer out there they'd say the detachable cable feature is for you to swap out a broken cable in a year or 2 thereby extending its longetivity, not doing cable rolling (like we all do) day in day out :deadhorse:

I have very bad experience of a CM's socket getting too loose to hold any cable in place and its just out of warranty. But other than that I do prefer 2pins to mmcx for its better perceived security.

and with 2pins, it's a very easy fix when connector feels loose - just slightly bent the pin and... the cherry is back in :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back